8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Navi & Radio Serial #s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
devcivic87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Navi & Radio Serial #s

Hello all, newbie here. Desperate newbie..

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid w/ Navi, and today my battery went out (12v, not hybrid. THANK DOG!). I found a place that will install the new battery for me, after calling a bunch of places and getting the response, "sorry we dont touch hybrids," or "sorry we dont carry that battery." Anywho, this guy is awesome and wont charge for install, but he said he would need to Radio and Navi serial #s to make sure I dont lose all of my info. However, I cannot find these numbers. I checked the Honda site and tried their tips for locating these numbers, but I cannot find them anywhere. I have the VIN, obviously. Would a Honda dealer be able to locate my serial numbers simply by running my VIN?
Old 12-08-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Navi & Radio Serial #s

I need serial numbers to get the codes. VIN does not help me.

You can DIY here: https://radio-navicode.honda.com/
Click on "Locate device serial number".

Look for a pair of white stickers with numbers on them (one for navi, one for radio). Radio is 5 digits, navi is 4 digits. Serial numbers are around 8-10 digits and may have letters.
Many dealers put them on the side of the glovebox-- either side, inside or outside. Other dealers put them anywhere on the car, and some ignore the stickers altogether.

Look in the thin book that says "Maintenance history" in the front of the book. The codes were supposed to be written on the first page when the car was PDI'd.

If you know the original dealer that did the new car check (PDI), they should have the numbers on record.
Old 12-09-2011
Registered!!

I gave in and took it to a Honda dealer, had them do the battery..sigh... Oh well, at least I am good for at least the next 3 years..thx anyway
Old 12-09-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devcivic87
I gave in and took it to a Honda dealer, had them do the battery..sigh... Oh well, at least I am good for at least the next 3 years..thx anyway
I must have been asleep when I read the first post.

The radio will not give a serial number on the display until it is locked up. You still have to hunt for the navi number.

Your battery replacer needed only to use a "memory saver" if the units hadn't locked up when the battery died, 99% of the time it works as desired and codes are not needed.

I have heard owners complain that the 12v battery in our hybrids is not a normal size, and the tray is smaller than average batteries are. Apparently it is hard to find a car battery that is not much bigger than a motorcycle or lawn tractors' battery.

3 years on the battery? I thought all of them were 100 month now. Should have had the dealer get the codes for you while you were there.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I must have been asleep when I read the first post.

The radio will not give a serial number on the display until it is locked up. You still have to hunt for the navi number.

Your battery replacer needed only to use a "memory saver" if the units hadn't locked up when the battery died, 99% of the time it works as desired and codes are not needed.

I have heard owners complain that the 12v battery in our hybrids is not a normal size, and the tray is smaller than average batteries are. Apparently it is hard to find a car battery that is not much bigger than a motorcycle or lawn tractors' battery.

3 years on the battery? I thought all of them were 100 month now. Should have had the dealer get the codes for you while you were there.
I didnt see this reply, apparently I forgot to change my notification type! Ok to recap... so I did try going to Sears' Auto, and they said by 12v was oddly small compared to most 12v, like you mentioned. It is a puny little thing. I mentioned 3 years just because that is the warranty Honda put on the battery for me when they swapped it out. I definitely should have asked for the codes though, good point.
Old 01-30-2012

Yes, the 12v battery is very small because it usually only needs to operate the electronics.
Only under certain conditions does it need to be able to operate the conventional starter. There really is one under the hood, most people don't ever get to hear it work.

MOST (I thought all were) OEM replacement batteries are 100 month (Prorate). Look on top of the battery see if there is a label that says what the warranty is. IDK about the actual terms of the warranty, maybe the first 36 months is free replacement then prorated after that. You should have received a warranty card with the new battery.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Yeah, they said the first 3 years are free then the years thereafter are prorated. I figure thats when it will crap out haha. Seems to always be the case!
Old 01-30-2012

They actually last a real long time (on average).

They rarely ever get seriously loaded (high amp demand) since the 12v starter rarely ever has to be used.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Was it pretty normal for mine to have gone out in the first place then? Close to 63,000 miles. I am the second owner.
Old 01-30-2012

6 years on the original battery is decent.

Original batteries are always a crapshoot. Hell, ANY battery can be a crapshoot.
Some last less than a year, some seem to last forever. I have seen original batteries still going at 10 years.

Our replacement batteries come on the Interstate truck.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for all of your help