8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Michelin HydroEdge or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fritzbrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Michelin HydroEdge or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

I have a stock 2008 Honda Civic LX Coupe with 31,500 miles. My OEM tires (Bridgestone Turenza EL 400 – 02 P205/55R 16) are beginning to wear out and I am consideringMichelin HydroEdge or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred as I just movved to Nashville and it rains a lot here. I moved from Florida and I would like a tire that will do well in the snow but still handles well in the summer.

Does anyone have any experience with eith of these two tires? Thank you for your help.
Old 09-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Michelin HydroEdge or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

i would go with the michelins, but both will be light years better than those garbage EL400s. check the reviews on tirerack.com
Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

n8marsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hydroedges will dry rot to pieces before you ever run out of tread. Seriously. Good looonng lasting tires but I have heard complaints that they are slightly noisier.

Love me some Michelins.
Old 09-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah most places recommend using the tires within 6 yrs of the 'made on' date. ive heard of michelins lasting longer than that (sometimes 100k miles), but its not recommended unless you do a ton of driving. i prefer the lower tread rated tires because they ride better and i would never wear down the tread of the longer life tires.
Old 09-20-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had both sets on my civic actually. The Triple Treads were good tires, but they didn't last very long in my opinion. About 20k in they seriously lost traction especially in the snow. The Michelins I've got about 15k on now, they still look brand new. It seems they will last much longer. Heres my rating out of 10 for the three I've had.

Bridgestone Potenza RE32s
Life: 10 - 105, 000 KMS < boo ya
Grip: 4 < especially towards the end, but they weren't very good new either

Triple Treads
Life: 6.3 < I got 65, 000 kms out of them.. Not bad I guess, but all highway..
Grip: 7 < pretty crappy after the nubs wore off, I was surprised.

Hydroedge
Life: I'm guessing 8/10 ... They are holding up very well so far
Grip: 10 Holding up great after 15k kms... Haven't lost much traction but we will see what the winter can bring.

The Potenzas were by far the loudest, with hydroedge being second, and the triple treads were the quietest. However, the difference is minimal and it shouldn't affect which tire you purchase. The Michelins are horribly loud on concrete roads though, especially at high speeds.

I like the idea of non directional because you can rotate them properly easier, and tend to get more life out of them. (Neither of your tires are non directional)

If I were to buy between the two, I'd get the Michelins. The goodyears should have laster way longer doing straight up highway driving.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-24-2011
Registered!!

fritzbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your advise.
Old 09-28-2011
Registered!!

pauls is an unknown quantity at this point

Triple Treads are great in wet and snow, but have a tendency to wear irregularly if not rotated often. The better choice is the Comfort Tread, much better riding tire, still great snow traction with an 80K mileage warranty.

Michelins are good tires as well and last forever, but think they are harder riding and not as good in wet and snow.
I just got another set of Assurance Comfort Treads for the wifes Civic and Goodyear has a $160 rebate on those tires if you buy on a Goodyear card. I signed up for the card just to get the discount. $80 rebate without the card.
Old 09-28-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if you can get a rebate go for it. I got the Michelins for 450 dollars installed because I got a rebate. I paid 600 for the triple treads. Those are Canadian prices so yours will probably be cheaper.
Old 10-02-2011
Registered!!

bard4fun is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a medical courier and I put, believe it or not, 534 miles on my car every day, I'm on my second set of Michelin HydroEdge tires, the first set I got 119,500 miles, so it was a no brainer when I bought my next set. I swear by them.
Old 10-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^mmmhmmmm I agree so far