8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2009 civic, auto or manual ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondapower84 is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 civic, auto or manual ?

Hi

which one is faster in take off + mid range + top end ?

is the difference big ?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

Re: 2009 civic, auto or manual ?

*1.8 i-vtec, the auto is 5 speed the manual is also 5 speed
Old 10-03-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'm gonna say get a manual since I am bias towards them and I think they're more fun in general. The difference probably isn't too much now that auto transmissions have become more complex and are trying to meet new fuel economy regulations and stuff. But with a manual, you have much more control over when to shift to get the best out of each gear. My advice to you would be to just go out and drive 2 of the same types of Civics, one with a slushy and the other with the manual. I know which one I would go with. And as for take off, I can take off just as fast, if not faster than a lot of slushbox drivers. And that's with regular launches.
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

Thank u MelJ

if the difference are small (not more than one or two car length) i will prefer the auto
Old 10-03-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Manual = Fun
Auto = Economical

I choose the fun car

Also, in midrange, and higher speeds, you can choose to rev your car to redline before switching gears, unlike an auto, making it much faster
Old 10-03-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Haha. I like the way you think. Also, the manual is also cheaper .
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Fudbutter is an unknown quantity at this point
1 Vote for Manual, 1 Vote for Automatic

There is no doubt that the joy of driving is enhanced by a stick and a clutch. You use both hands and both feet much of the time and have much greater control over the vehicle. Like most enthusiasts, I would never consider buying a sports car in any other configuration.

However, driving a stick can be a real pain and very tiring in stop and go traffic. A automatic makes it soooo much easier to take especially in any big city commute.

It took me 21 years of driving before buying a car with automatic. Since then, I've had two cars, one manual and one automatic for two distinctly different uses. It comes down to exactly what was stated above. Fun vs dull utility. I've come to depend on both for their intended purposes

So what I'm getting at is the whole question of manual vs automatic depends purely on how the vehicle will be used.

All that aside, there are a few other points on the subject:

- It might not be the best idea for brand new drivers to drive a stick as it adds one more element to worry about when all concentration should be spent on trying not to get killed or doing the same to others around you.

- Particularly urban hilly locales, such as SF, make it very hard to get manual cars started up after a stop when going uphill and just not worth the hassle

- If you have been driving for a year or two, you may want to get a manual just for the purpose of mastering it. It takes a while for it to become second nature, but it is a skill well served when you are ready to upgrade to a higher level car like a BMW. You'll need that skill then, but should have it mastered before you are ready to move up.

- Not apropos to any Honda discussion, but an off road vehicle should have an automatic tranny. Crawl over the rocks on a trail in Moab, Utah with a clutch and you get tired very very fast, plus it is easy to burn out the clutch itself in these situations
Old 10-05-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Manual = Fun
Auto = Economical

I choose the fun car

Also, in midrange, and higher speeds, you can choose to rev your car to redline before switching gears, unlike an auto, making it much faster
If you didnt know the manual is more economical than the auto. You get more gas mileage with a manual. And like melj said they are cheaper to. So the manual is fun/economical/cheaper.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Manual also requires alot less maintinence, and will never break.

Plus I think they're more fun also!
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

manuals are not for everyone....my cousin and a friend of mine had manual for about 6 months and later traded to an auto...
cousin bought a used car and didn't lose much money but my buddy had brand new 350Z and traded to IS250, negative equity...
Old 10-05-2010
Trance Addict

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Manual also requires alot less maintinence, and will never break.

Plus I think they're more fun also!
Be careful there. There was a guy on another car forum I frequent that destroyed his VW tranny within a month of owning it. I mean if the syncros are fubar, you can double clutch it to get into gear.
Old 10-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

True, i say auto is more economical, is because people with manual tend to rev a lot more than auto

But yes, manual is more gas saving if used properly

And don't be too sure on manuals breaking down less often
Sure, autos have tranny problems sometimes
but you probably have to replace your clutch at some point with your manual

Anyways, like what fud said, i'd prolly get 2 cars one auto and one manual
Or get a tiptronic
Old 10-05-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Alot of people dont rev there car like some people. I never rev my car past 3k rpms unless its in 5th gear and going down the interstate at 70 mph. There are tons of people with manuals that dont go round ******* the hell out of it. Hell almost everyone I know shifts round 2500 rpms.

And ya you have to replace the clutch in a manual but no where near as hard as rebuilding a auto. And that is the only thing that happens to manauls unless you are hard as **** on it grinding gears and stuff.

Last edited by 02civicsi02; 10-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.