8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Thinking of buying a Civic... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zentraedi Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Thinking of buying a Civic... thoughts?

I've been looking pretty heavily at the 2010 Civic LX-S, 4 doors, automatic transmission.

Thoughts on this car?

I like how it drives and feels to sit in, as well as the aesthetics of the car. I got a pretty good offer that I might take, but it's a big decision buying a new car, and I'd just like to get some real human opinions before I go any further...

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

rocksinger45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Thinking of buying a Civic... thoughts?

I'd wait a year for the Hy-brid Honda Fit I've seen pic's of it in the japanese press, it looks like all the fun of a Civic w/better gas milage.. my personal opinion.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Zentraedi Elite is an unknown quantity at this point

That does sound nice but I don't have that time frame. I'm really looking at by the end of this year!
Old 12-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm im not sure if they fixed all the issues with this car yet. the previous years had too many problems to count. may want to wait until the next gen comes out, or shop around other cars. hondas seem to be getting less reliable each year.
Old 12-19-2009
Registered!!

mf150 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't had a single issue with my 08 EX coupe.

I also have a co-worker who has a 2006 EX sedan with 90,000 miles and not one issue.

I don't know why the 8th gen is getting such a bad wrap? all cars have issues.
Old 12-19-2009
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had my 07 EX 4 door Automatic for 3 years now.

Great car, Fun to drive, next to nothing in repairs, decent gas mileage. looks great...I would buy it again if the situation for a new car comes up.

The Civic has a combination of ride, handling, sportiness which is unparrellel in other cars of the same category. You cannot go wrong...

Go ahead, make the deal...there should be plenty of smoky deals around for 09 and 10 Civics.

Plastics
Old 12-19-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What was the price you were quoted ??

I have been considering a 2010 as well.

If you read the 8th gen sites threads there are some issues but for the most part I think folks are happy with them (read some of the things going on with the newly released 10th gen Corolla)

Also buying the 1st year of a new generation is very hit or miss, IMO it takes a couple of years for them to work things out (still not sure what is going on with Hondas R18 blocks, quite scary)
Old 02-26-2010
Registered!!

cinghoa is an unknown quantity at this point

I would really look at VW Golf and even Subaru Impreza. Check all 3 out in one day, so you know how each compares to the other. VW is much more sporty driving than the other two. Subaru has a nice tranny and AWD. Honda has some nice ergonomic features. It's impossible to guess which car will make you say "Wow, that's the one!".

I just leased mine 3 days ago. I have to say it's growing on me. I only considered the car because my brother sells them. I was in a 2 door Rabbit that I really miss right now, but needed 4 doors and wanted a manual, which VW decided they can't supply the US. I did like the longer wheelbase on the trip I took yesterday, but the side bolsters are obviously meant for larger Americans than myself.

Good luck, hope this is somewhat helpful.
Old 02-26-2010
Registered!!

johng35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do it !
All my problems have been non honda issues. ( vandals to the mirrors and I was hit while parked -the bastards ran off !)

My 2007 Coupe EX is great. 20,000 miles and the milage is getting better.
I wish there was more power - in hind sight I should have gotten the Si.

I would get the NAVI system- there is not much space to put a dashmount or dashtop one - and Honda got much praise for their system.

I enjoy the handling and style, the feel and response of the car - it is my daily driver that performs rain and snow.

Change out the tires ASAP - the factory ones are basic- but there are quieter and better wet performers out there.
Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

JadedRedDragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda civics are very nice cars and have an excellent resale value as well as an excellent crash test rating. As long as you take care of the car and don't smoke in it you can get most of your money back over other cars when it comes to reselling.

Something you can think about is possibly waiting for the 2011 civic for the new body style toward the end of the year.

About the honda navi system. It does look very nice in the dash but I think they are extremely over priced. I use a 3.5 inch navigator and I can place it in the front left quarter window. It looks very nice there. Here is a picture of it.
Name:  hondacivicnavigator.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  24.9 KB

Last edited by JadedRedDragon; 03-04-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

Fudbutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Just took a 4,000 mile trip in our new '10 Civic LX. We were very very pleased. Let's face it, it is not a Bimmer 3 series but for the price it is a much much better buy. We were plenty comfi, it handled the mountains, the snow and the highway well, the MP3 connector was useful and it generally looks great.

As far as the navi goes, we placed our Magellan in the well in front of the tach (AT in this car) and it worked well in that spot.

An added benefit is that the dash looks great in design and lighting.

IMHO, best buy for the dollar out there
Old 03-07-2010
Registered!!

2010CivicDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive had my 2010 EX coupe (non-navi) for almost 3 months now, and it has performed better than I hoped! It has handled exceptionally well in the ohio snow, even with the standard Bridgestones on it. I couldnt be happier with my civic, so I think you should go for it!

Also, I didnt go for the navi package for the same reason as Jaded, way overpriced.

So far, my civic hasnt given me one moment of regret, at all!

Last edited by 2010CivicDave; 03-07-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2010
Registered!!

2010CivicDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
hmm im not sure if they fixed all the issues with this car yet. the previous years had too many problems to count. may want to wait until the next gen comes out, or shop around other cars. hondas seem to be getting less reliable each year.
What problems are you referring to?
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

ninjadog is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 2010 dx-g about a month ago and so far I am super happy with it. I also say go for it, you will be lucky to find a better car at the same price.
My 01 Golf TDI just died, the tranny went at under 300 K. It was also plagued with a bunch of little problems like the drivers door not knowing it's open and the glo plugs constantly making the engine light come on. Anyway I would not recomend a VW at all.
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

zXeX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fudbutter
Just took a 4,000 mile trip in our new '10 Civic LX. We were very very pleased. Let's face it, it is not a Bimmer 3 series but for the price it is a much much better buy. We were plenty comfi, it handled the mountains, the snow and the highway well, the MP3 connector was useful and it generally looks great.

As far as the navi goes, we placed our Magellan in the well in front of the tach (AT in this car) and it worked well in that spot.

An added benefit is that the dash looks great in design and lighting.

IMHO, best buy for the dollar out there
How well did it handle the mountains? I took my 2000 EX through the mountains (Hwy 82, Aspen Colorado) last October, and it didn't like the ascent at all. Lagged nicely.... I am pondering buying an 08 to 2010 Civic to go with the 6th gen... But, am researching it, the mountain trips will come again and would like to know how it tackled the job...
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

zeusx99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought my '08 new, haven't had one issue with the car yet (well, any issue that wasn't due to me inadvertently accelerating into a static object).

In addition to many many people on here and out there being happy with their civics, consumer reports gives the EX an overall rating of 78 in the class of Small Cars, with the highest rated car having an 82. Not bad at all. And in terms of reliability, CR scores the 08 and 09 models with the highest reliability scores in every category (more details if you want them).

Honestly, I'd go with a new '08 or '09 model if you can find one, or a barely used one which might be easier to locate.

Honestly, I have no idea why people would say the newer civics are becoming less reliable...I guess you just hear more stories about things going wrong than going right. It also might be due to people not knowing how to keep their cars in decent shape.
Old 06-01-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

dunno about the 2010 Civics, but totally noticed your username

Robotech FTW!