General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

how to drain/fill the automatic transmission fluid on a 2002

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barlow is an unknown quantity at this point
how to drain/fill the automatic transmission fluid on a 2002

My mother-in-law has a 2002 EX sedan with about 75,000 miles on it. Before she takes it on a road-trip in July, I was going to drain/fill the automatic transmission fluid. She hasn't had that done yet. I've been searching the forums for information but haven't found a good, clear, DIY how-to. A few questions:

1) Where's the drain plug? Driver's side? Passenger's side? Does it have a square hole for a 3/8" ratchet to fit directly in to?

2) Where's the fill plug? Do you get to it through the engine bay or from underneath the vehicle?

3) Is the recommended procedure a 3x drain and fill to get nearly all the fluid replaced with fresh stuff?

My wife's vehicle has a Honda 3.5-liter V6 and 5-speed automatic transmission. I've done the transmission fluid in it before, so I generally know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-22-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: how to drain/fill the automatic transmission fluid on a 2002

The plug is on passenger side, easy to see. Use ratchet or may need breaker bar.

Fill via ATF dipstick tube.

Drain and refill is 3.0 qts. Use ATFZ1 fluid.

Also, pick up a new washer for the plug.

Last edited by CraigW; 05-23-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply!

Where should i be looking for the dipstick? Is it going to have a black, loop handle?

When filling via the dipstick tube, do I need to clamp a hose on there so it doesn't back up the tube and leak? Or can I just stick a funnel in tube's opening and pour slowly?

Curious, why fill via the dipstick tube? Isn't there an accessible fill plug that is the "correct" way to do it?

Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2010

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Dipstick is on passenger side towards rear of bay, yellow loop.

It's not really a tube now that I think more an opening where the dipstick fits into You will see it's not that difficult.(as far as I know it is the only method to install fluid) Maybe get one of the ATF funnels available ?

You will notice the dipstick has a very loose fit... getting a 25610-PLX-003 will resolve that issue.

I always try to keep the flat part (partial ring) around the top clean from gunk.
Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

Craig said rite so, dont lose anymore time and go a finish that work bro

its really easy to drain the oil, the tedious part is about refilling the oil is going to be really slow and be careful with the oil level, obviously have to be check with engine on

succes bro!
Old 05-26-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
What about using something like Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle or Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC, both of which are recommended for Z1 applications?
Old 05-26-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

None of that crap. Only Honda ATF for these transmissions.
Old 05-27-2010

Not in my Honda.
Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
None of that crap. Only Honda ATF for these transmissions.
Not in my Honda.
Are you both saying that based on experience? I've done enough reading to know there's quite a debate on Z1 versus aftermarket stuff recommended for Z1 applications. Is the same debate applicable to the 2002 Civic's automatic transmission, or is there something about it that makes Z1 more important than in other Honda transmissions?
Old 05-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The civic already has a lot of problems with the transmission. Honda ATF is very specific to these crappy transmissions and you really don't need to take any more risks than necessary. There have been a few posts on here of people using aftermarket tranny fluid and the car having shifting issues. I'm not speaking from experience since I have a 5spd, but I'm telling you from what I've read. Use Honda ATF, it'll save you a transmission job.
Old 05-28-2010

I've always been a fan of OEM fluids and parts in my cars, Honda & Toyota.

Not worth risk saving just a little bit of money, & Honda parts have a very fair price ( unlike Toyota )
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

showandprovekev is an unknown quantity at this point

3 quarts is to much and will over fill it.
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the input on my fluid. When I did my wife's vehicle (i.e. a 2007 Saturn VUE which has the Honda 3.5-liter V6 and 5-speed automatic transmission) I decided on Z1. I can get it from the local Saturn dealer for $4.50/quart.

When I did her vehicle, I used the amount of fluid that came out to determine how much should go in. After it was all said and done and I checked the fluid level, it was perfect. So I'll probably use the same approach when doing my mother-in-law's 2002 Civic.
Old 05-28-2010

Originally Posted by showandprovekev
3 quarts is to much and will over fill it.
01-05 Factory information states 2.9 qts for a drain & refill... Just exactly how is .1 qts going to do that ??
Old 05-29-2010
Registered!!

showandprovekev is an unknown quantity at this point

i think it depends how much drains out.. and how much u put back in.. but i have drained and refilled with 3 qts before and remember it being over the line.