General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How long does it take DIY timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thuener will become famous soon enoughThuener will become famous soon enough
How long does it take DIY timing belt?

i've seen a couple DIY timing belt threads here, and i believe i saw one individual say it took him nearly 11 hours to complete, solo.

i will have the help of my father, whom is a mechanic but knows very little about the d17, if anything.

i am curious, how long do you guys think it will take? I know the dealership can get it done in a couple hours, but yea... somewhere between 2-11 hours seem a bit broad.

How long do you think it will take?
Old 04-22-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
with an experienced mechanic shouldn't take more than a few hours, anywhere between 2-4 at the longest.
Old 04-22-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
it should take less than a day. if you get the manual haynes or anything it will show you whats up.
Old 04-22-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
most experienced mechanics can pull an entire d-series engine in about 4-5 hours, much less change a timing belt.
Old 04-26-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
i could change the oil in my car in less than 10 minutes. but it typically takes me 30-45 minutes. does this mean i dont have much experience in oil changes? no, ive done countless. it just means im careful and i take my time.
Old 04-27-2006
banned from avatar useage

luvvegas777 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would drop it off at the dealership, call a buddy and grab lunch, then come back and pick it up. Make sure whoever does it knows exactly what they are doing, it's not something you want to experiment with. Do you have a timing gun? also you should get all new belts while you are changing the timing belt, water pump optional.
Some things are better left for a professional, and it is worth the money to pay for them. how much is your time worth?
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
^true... Bill Gates would actually lose money if he were to waste his time to pick up a 100 dollar bill that he dropped. Depends on what your time is worth and the careless mistakes you might make.
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

xkimsungminx is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ HAHA REALLy?? i know there was a study or something done about how much Bill Gates makes by the Minute or something of that nature but yea hahah , and i think there was something done about how much he loses as well, man how great would it be to have a wallet filled with benjamins only and a bank account with what looks like an endless row of 0's to the average joe XD
Old 04-29-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
IIRC It was more of how much Microsoft makes and honestly bill gates got his huge house but otherwise isnt a big in-your-face spender. hes just a rich, normal, but very smart and lucky, guy.
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

xkimsungminx is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ hAHa normal rich guys don't have net value's of 50 billion dollars, i woudln't consider him a "normal" rich guy, cuz if the gov't didn't break up his monopoly i'm pretty sure he'd be far wealthier today, and a guy who drops over $200 million on the whim to medical foundations and such wouldn't be considered "normal" in my dictionary.

sorry but about the timing belt, like someone said, i honestly would not suggest you do something like that on your own, just save yourself trouble down the road by paying a professional mechanic to do it for you =D