General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Liquid cooled throttle body, test phase one completed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005
AKA Mr. 60ft. Not to be confused with Civic_Redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Liquid cooled throttle body, test phase one completed.

Well after getting the idea on this thread here http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...208122&page=23 I decided I had to see if it would work. Well it does, but.....
The water didn't stay cold long, if I filled the whole container with ice it may have helped but I gave up after a few and just poured some chilled water in there. The damn kneck is so skinny it's hard to fit ice cubes down there. Crushed ice would be best. When I tested the system in my garage it made the throttle body ice cold. Went out on the road seemed to pull pretty good. Drove around for a bit. Got on again and couldn't feel any loss. Turned the system on as people were probally laughing at me cause my wipers were going on a clear 90 degree day(haven't figured out that problem yet) . Made a u turn and got on it, couldn't tell a difference. By this time the water probally wasn't ice cold cause it sure wasn't when I got home. So at this point test phase one was a funtional succes but not results wise as far as can tell. Maybe If i packed the resivour full of ice this would make a difference at the track. On the street with the exception of a predetermined race it would probally be useless. Still need to find some of that fuel line to wrap around the intake for phase two. Another idea popped into my head as well. Instead of liquid cooling everything why not air cool it with CO2? Not sure how CO2 works but if I could find a way to recirculate it through the throttle body and around the intake maybe that would be better? Or just drop some dry ice in the resivour? Dunno but it was fun trying something new. I'll keep at it. Need to order my odysee battery so I can do my headlight intake still, cause the filter location of tha V2 is killing my HP in this heat.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001557.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	57399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001555small.JPG
Views:	607
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	57400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001556small.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	57401  

Last edited by Redline04; 07-23-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Hahaha, someone was bored. Good idea man, you just need to refine it and possibly try dry ice or something along those lines.
Old 07-23-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya i was just gonna suggest dry ice. Its VERY cold compared to ice and lasts quite a bit in there. It will continue to cool the return water from the TB. I think thats your best bet but you need pellets. We got a machine in our lab that crushes big chunks into small pellets, but maybe you can find something like this somewhere. It would be great for the track!
Old 07-23-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
as a quick fix, I'm sure there's a wiper fuse you could pull at the track so the wipers don't work.///
Old 07-23-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
haha awesome. finally someone did it.
Old 07-23-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
as a quick fix, I'm sure there's a wiper fuse you could pull at the track so the wipers don't work.///
yeah I pulled the wiper fuse in the cabin but that cut the pump or what ever pushes the water as well. This was just a prototype. I guess I could find some black hose line somewhere and use that to make it look a little better. So you can put dry ice in water? I wasn't sure if you could. Cool. Maybe I'll make a trip to wally world later. Like you said I need to find away to crush it though. really need to do some testing at the track after I wrap the intake and see if there is a difference.
And yes I was bored. Suppose to be working on a speech for tues but I am procrastinating.
Old 07-23-2005
I'm unusually bored.

tony_buttons is an unknown quantity at this point
That's just awesome. lol. On the intake note, I know I have the 01-03 front bumper, but I cut out the spot where the left fog light would go with a dremel so more air would run directly into the spot where the filter is. It helped a little. It shouldn't be too different on the newer ones.
Old 07-23-2005
Premium Member

be very careful. dry ice in water creates bubbles (pressure) and lots of cool smoke But make sure that cap stays off otherwise the tank could explode. No joke.
Old 07-23-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
moroso makes a contaner for super cooling the fuel system im sure it could be adapted to using water in it instead of fuel
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=32030

Extremely efficient at reducing fuel temperature for a denser air-fuel mixture
Advanced heat sink design decreases fuel temperature 20% over other cool cans
Tough polyethylene outer shell will never rust, and has a higher insulating value than cork to make ice last even longer
Internal aluminum parts are designed for lasting service and engineered to be compatible with today's high output fuel pumps
The inlet and outlet are 3/8" NPT, so you can attach any fitting and use any line
Lid is held on by a wing nut with a closed-cell foam seal between the lid and can
NHRA approved mounting includes two stainless steel straps with T-bolt clamps and lightweight aluminum mounting bracket
Spacing of steel straps aligns perfectly with mounting bosses molded into the Super Cool Can housing for super-strong attachment
Approximate dimensions: 7-3/4" x 7-3/4" x 8" tall
Old 07-23-2005
Registered!!

noestitch is an unknown quantity at this point
just a thought, has anyone tried to run cold air from the a/c into the throttle boby through the intake piping??
Old 07-23-2005

Ac robs to much HP and u would probally lose more then u would gain(assuming there was a gain at all)
Old 07-23-2005

BTW this took all of about 5 min to hook up. So it could be put back to stock for use of wiper washer on the street then easily swapped back for the track. Now I just need to get some dry ice and see if it is worth it, oh and figure out the wiper issue. My friend just ragged the **** out of me when I told him what I did and how I was driving down the highway with the wipers going.
Old 07-23-2005

Ok I just took everything off cause I have some races hopefully going down tonight and I don't want people seeing that rigged setup in the event I do pop my hood. I notced the throttle body was actually quite hotter than when I intially left it sitting in the garage for the last hour or two. So I guess maybe it did work. Still could be colder with dry ice though.
Aight Im out for the eve hopfully I'll have some win stories to tell. Supposed to race an R32 and a cammed specV with other mods. Running the 50shot for the first time since Im up against some stiff competition. Hope the clutch can handle it. Later Everyone.
The experimiment shall be continued at a later date.
Old 07-23-2005
Premium Member

good luck with the races.....
Old 07-23-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
if you want to run dry ice, use antifreeze mix instead of water.

Chemically, pure water cannot go below 32 degrees F. So that means that you will never get the TB any colder than that.

But then again, a very cold TB brings up another issue itself.... freezing.
Old 07-23-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
That is awesome...way to think out of the box bro!! Good luck with the races and have fun!!
Old 07-23-2005
Premium Member

turboengnr is correct. About the freezing, maybe this would only be useful for summer because there is still hot air coming from under the engine through the TB. In the winter, problems could occur.

If you really want cold liquid, mix the dry ice with ethyl alcohol and screw the water. That will get alot closer to the temp of liquid nitrogen But again, I'm not sure how that would affect the pump. If there is anything but water, it may mess with it. But I don't know how it works only about what the manual says.
Old 07-23-2005
Registered!!

Mike04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
hey man, i had an idea,..kinda,...I was reading a book bout Civics, and it said something about how "back in the day" people used to use "dry ice boxes" to get cooler air flowing through their intake,...you could try something with dry ice maybe? I believe the by-product of dry ice is Co2,..just so ya know....... ok..just read other msgs,..you already got that...
~mike~

Last edited by Mike04Civic; 07-23-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
OMG!!!!
Old 07-23-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
cut a hole in the hood above the TB...........get another external pump (inline), water tank, lines, a oil cooler and chill the water that way....it can be run from a switch.
Old 07-24-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
the stock winshield washer pump can handle running alcohol through it. So you can run the alcohol idea as well. And since it doesnt move a lot of volume, it wont cool it down as much as if you were to use a bigger pump. This may be enough to cure any freezing problem you may run into (during the hot season)
Old 07-24-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
CO2. dry ice is the same thing. you can get it in liquid form though. i don't know how expensive but for your experiments it might be worth it. good luck with it. you can also try freon gases and other gases/liquids that would help the lines stay cool. try gases. you might be limiting yourself if you stick with liquids. good luck and tell how it goes.
Old 07-24-2005

Originally Posted by DIZZLE
OMG!!!!
OMG my NA 1/4 mile time still owns your 50 shot 1/4 time.

I was bored and in the name of science I conducted an experiment.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
it would be cool if you could find a way to circulate co2 or No2, that may also work in some way shape or form
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Heres another thought. If you are chilling the air after the IAT sensor your computer isnt aware that the air is colder. Try epoxying it in the manifold after the TB. Keep trying, its a good idea.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redline04
OMG my NA 1/4 mile time still owns your 50 shot 1/4 time.

I was bored and in the name of science I conducted an experiment.

Your civic may be faster but mine looks MUCH better.
When i want power i hop in this, not my civic.

I assure you this will own your civic with or without nitrous.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't there already an intake like this on the market I think its called the Cry-O2 intake or something like that, where instead of circulating fluid around the TB itself it just freezes the CAI piping w. dry ice?
Old 07-24-2005
Premium Member

but its VERY expensive. They also have a dry ice intake which is basically a normal intake with extra tube to put dry ice in. Only thing I worry about with that is water vapor condensing inside the intake tube and getting sucked into engine.
Old 07-24-2005

Originally Posted by DIZZLE
Your civic may be faster but mine looks MUCH better.
When i want power i hop in this, not my civic.

I assure you this will own your civic with or without nitrous.
Getting off topic so maybe we should take this some where else. Here we go
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...90#post3225890
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

fixeruper is an unknown quantity at this point
what about hooking up an actuator that turns on the windshield wiper pump when you floor it, like the achohal inj. in the sf turbo kit?

Quick Reply: Liquid cooled throttle body, test phase one completed.