Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Diagnosing an odd possibly fuel pump related issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tbonczar is an unknown quantity at this point
Diagnosing an odd possibly fuel pump related issue

Have an 05 Honda Civic LX with just over 150k miles. I've got this off and on issue where after the car has run an hour long trip or so, the idle develops an odd vibration, similar to what a car feels like before it chokes out. Turn the car off and go to start it and the engine turns over but won't fire unless you put the gas pedal to the floor. Feather the gas a bit and the car runs just fine. Any ideas on cause?

I've had a Honda certified mechanic look at it. No codes are being thrown. Mechanic drove around and the car ran great. I suggested a block in the fuel filter but was told the fuel filter isn't recommended to be replaced unless a catastrophic event occurs like sugar in the tank. No lights are on, check engine or otherwise. The car feels a bit sluggish at times.

I'm not sure if the fuel pump could be the issue or something else entirely. It's happened twice in a 10 day span, and both times it was after an hour long drive.
Old 02-22-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Diagnosing an odd possibly fuel pump related issue

I would suspect injector leakage/bleed down long before I suspected a fuel pump. More than 10 years in honda dealership and still haven't ever saw a bad fuel pump. Do you run quality fuel? Do you know what quality fuel means?

The reason you don't replace the filter is because it is in the fuel tank and really doesn't plug up. The symptoms of a plug fuel filter do not match what you are describing. Haven't ever seen a plugged filter on a honda either, but I am sure it is possible.

Here is what "quality fuel" means and who sells it.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 02-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnosing an odd possibly fuel pump related issue

I might suspect something like the ECT misreporting coolant temp as far lower than actual, or any other sensor that might go inaccurate.

One would have to be able to read live (or record) scanner data during an event though, as a problem like this would not set codes unless it was so far out of range as to be an implausible temperature.