Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > GENERAL > Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance
Register Forgot Password?

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2006   #1
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to streetglower
Does unused coolant go bad

Just curious, I have a gallon of unopened honda type 2 coolant that has been sitting in my garage for the past year. I plan on doing my timing belt tomorrow along with a new water pump and was thinking of using it, but just wondering if I should go to honda and buy a new gallon of coolant or is that coolant still like brand new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFLYsi View Post
just got pulled over the other day for having JDM yellow headlights, the cop told me it was illegal to have yellow lights, only white, any comments on this. i was just sittin in my slab with trunk poppin and my candy paint drippin off my doors.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #2
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
no it should be ok as long as it has been in a tight, clean container..As long as hasnt been contaminated, it should be cool.
jerseydetailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #3
Super Moderator

Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100 Points: 146,804, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 54.5%
Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5% Activity: 54.5%
gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute gearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i doubt it, they have it sealed inside and a cap too. i know for a fact dealer coolant sometimes sits there for years in the parts dept.
Old 03-02-2006   #4
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all
alright cool, I was just curious.
Quote:
just got pulled over the other day for having JDM yellow headlights, the cop told me it was illegal to have yellow lights, only white, any comments on this. i was just sittin in my slab with trunk poppin and my candy paint drippin off my doors.
Old 03-02-2006   #5
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
when it comes to fluids that are to be used in a hydralic system (ie brake or clutch) only use from a sealed container..using from an unsealed container risks the introduction of contamination (ie dirt or mosture)..moisture is never good in a hydraulic system so if you dont finish a container throw it out...by nature antifreeze uses water so no harm with moisture from using an open container
jerseydetailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #6
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all Jrfish007 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Jrfish007
hummm.... bottle should have an expiration date on it

But antifreeze is simply ethylene glycol, and that is pretty stable, so I would say I can't really see it going bad.

In addition to that, water does most of the actual heat transferring in antifreeze, the EG (ethylene glycol) is just there to keep it form freezing. So as long as the contents of the contain can't be frozen, then all is good.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #7
Registered!!

thanks for the replies everyone, I went ahead and used the old coolant I had. considering honda type 2 is now $20 A Gallon, I would use it even if it was 10 years old.
Quote:
Old 03-10-2006   #8
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold shroomster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglower
thanks for the replies everyone, I went ahead and used the old coolant I had. considering honda type 2 is now $20 A Gallon, I would use it even if it was 10 years old.
oh damn, i just saw that your addy changed in the top right. P/m me your general locaton man, we got to get you into the scene. less of course brad already has hehe. sorry bout the thread hijack......

yeah the antifreeze is still good (I'm trying to be as obvious as possible) cept it will taste a lil different as the water content is probably a lil less.....
iPR #7
40 Gig Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox ZEN Xtra
Diana Ham.....rest in peace.....
shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
anifreeze , antifreeze , bad , coolant , coolantantifreeze , expire , fl , for , found , good , honda , long , olf , tampa , type , unused