DIY: Check odometer on disconnected Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apollyon02ex is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY: Check odometer on disconnected Cluster

For whatever reason you need to read the odometer on a disconnected cluster here's how. I needed to cause i swapped my cluster and forgot to write down the old reading. It's also good so you can verify the mileage of a new cluster before you swap out your old cluster so you can match mileage if you wish.

Step One:
Find a power source, I choose to use a car jumper set to 10amps which is what most electronics in the car uses. I'm sure you can get away with any 9 to 12volt source.

Step Two:
connect one wire to the positive and one wire to the negative. I used speaker wire, cheap and effective. This is obviously just to make it more manageable to connect the wires to the correct pin.

Step Three:
Now connect one lead to the top left middle pin on the green connector, and one to the top right middle pin on the same connector. refer to images to see what pins to connect to power.

it takes a steady hand but its a simply task. vuala your cluster will light up and show the mileage stored in the cluster.

Last edited by Apollyon02ex; 02-16-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Check odometer on disconnected Cluster

very nice info
Old 02-17-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Nice

Now, how do you increase the miles on the odometer if you swapped in a cluster that had less miles then your previous one?
Old 02-17-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Nice

Now, how do you increase the miles on the odometer if you swapped in a cluster that had less miles then your previous one?
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

I don't know how to adjust the numbers, i think it takes more than just the supplying volts to certain pins to adjust that. perhaps try calling a dealer and maybe they will adjust the mileage on the new cluster.

also there are programmers on the web, seem sketchy but could work
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

khanselman is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been trying to find a way to do this and I can't seem to find anything on the web on how to.

I've gone to multiple dealerships and asked if they could fix it and they always jump down my throat asking me why I would need to and why I swapped my cluster, etc etc giving me the third degree.. and then never tell me.

I finally went to a place and was like "Look, I did this, now that I look back I wish I didn't, I don't want to get asked all sorts of questions, I just want to know is it possible" and he finally said that they would take it out, overnight it to 'a place' that will change the mileage and then send it back and they'd have to reinstall it and all in all it should cost around '$150'.. not sure if that's accurate or even a good quote, but that's what the guy told me... I'm actually thinking of doing this as soon as I get my tax refund (if I get one) because it's a pain trying to sell a car with a non-accurate odometer..
Old 02-17-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only place i found charges $150 to reprogram the mileage if you send it in.

http://www.aaellc.com/index.html
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

It's possible but I think it might involve sending data signals to the cluster if I remember and all that would do for you is roll the odo up and you would just have to wait for it to either get to the desired mileage or let it get so high it starts over then go up to the correct voltage(This method was used on the s2k cluster so it might not work like this at all for this one). When I asked the honda dealer that quoted me like $250 and they would send it to some place(they actually gave me a name but Its been a long time since I asked).
Old 02-17-2009
Premium Member

i know someone here said it was easy to roll up the mileage, but not roll it down.
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

cornd0g is an unknown quantity at this point

really? id love to figure out that little trick lol! my new cluster has like 40k miles on it. my regular cluster has 114k.
Old 02-17-2009
Premium Member

i think diemaster said he could do it. just keep checking ebay thats what i did. finally found a new 2003 cluster with my exact mileage of 87k.
Old 02-17-2009
Registered!!

diemaster huh? sounds like a pretty intense dude lol. hopefully he can help me =\
Old 02-19-2009
Premium Member

I need about 47k added to my new cluster to be accurate.

I got the name of a place here in portland that does it, but I havent checked them out. I'm sure they will be in the same ballpark as cost....

Whats this about the s2k cluster increasing mileage?
Old 02-20-2009
Registered!!

mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about

if anyone could figure out a way that be awesome. kus if i was going to do a kswap.. i would like my odo to read the miles exact on the paper work. im very picky bout such things. lolz
Old 02-22-2009
Premium Member

Any body have the wiring diagram from honda that describes the pinouts? If someone grabs it, I'll take a look at trying to figure something out
Old 02-22-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

yes condog has been PMing me and is now sending me his cluster to roll up the milage.

Triz i can do yours too.

as i described in my PM i made a coustom harness that all i need to do is control the speed and give it power. the speedo will work and the milage will climb. i dont remimber but i had mine set to go beyond 140 mph and the needle was facing straght down.

i have a hangerqueen cluster thanks to gearbox. i've been letting that one run to see if it will roll over. sofar i'm at *bends over to check milage * 535,385 miles
Old 02-22-2009
Premium Member

haha lmao. i bet it goes back to zero. oh so youre basically tricking the cluster into thinking its connected to the car and its driving 140mph+ lol.
Old 02-22-2009
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DieMaster
yes condog has been PMing me and is now sending me his cluster to roll up the milage.

Triz i can do yours too.

as i described in my PM i made a coustom harness that all i need to do is control the speed and give it power. the speedo will work and the milage will climb. i dont remimber but i had mine set to go beyond 140 mph and the needle was facing straght down.

i have a hangerqueen cluster thanks to gearbox. i've been letting that one run to see if it will roll over. sofar i'm at *bends over to check milage * 535,385 miles
Whoa. Describe this here woulda ya? I appreciate the offer, but dont want to run without a cluster for a week or two- and I dont have a second car unfortunately. I'm hoping I can make something to trick it as well. I have my inspection coming up and I dont want my car to be flagged for odometer fraud because its less then it was the last time it was checked.
Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

same =\ also curious as to the little doohickey hah
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

khanselman is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 I'd love to know how to do it...
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

ditto, id even throw some cash your way
Old 03-04-2009
Registered!!

Bump, I might be picking up an 02 Civic and the first thing I will do is a cluster swap.
Whoa. Describe this here woulda ya? I appreciate the offer, but dont want to run without a cluster for a week or two- and I dont have a second car unfortunately. I'm hoping I can make something to trick it as well. I have my inspection coming up and I dont want my car to be flagged for odometer fraud because its less then it was the last time it was checked.
Gotta Love TN, anything with wheels is good enough for them(no inspections).
Old 03-07-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

You can also check your milage on a 03-05 civic cluster giving power to pins 18 and 22

Old 03-07-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry guys been VERY BUSY at work. last week was almost 95 hours lol. but i love the overtime

yes gearbox all i do is power the cluster and create a square wave frequency to power the speedo. oviously the faster frequency will speed up the speedo and roll it up faster. it's the electronic version of the power dril on the speedo cable only this drill dosnet have reverse

IT IS NOT illiegl to roll up the mileage as your decreasing the worth of the car. it's when it's lower than actual u get in troublel for instance buying a fancy cluster thats ~40K off actual milage.

i can do this rolling up for u guys if u want. granted it takes time for a virtual 200+MPH civic to gain 20+K miles lol. if u do want it i recomend sending me the cluster first and keep the old one in the car. once the 2 meet, (we'll keep in contact to asure this happens) as part of the payment i'll overnight the cluster back to u so u can swap it knowing the cluster is only +- 100 miles off vs 40K

oh and a week has passed and my virtual hangerqueen has gone 20K more miles. AND HE NEVER GETS TIRED! LOL.
Old 03-09-2009
Registered!!

Not to throw the topic off but since were talking about them do you know a good site to get a pinout for say an 1999-2002 honda accord cluster? Along with the 03 version.