Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Legal Questions and the Law (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/98-legal-questions-law)
-   -   Will I loose my car for getting a DUI? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/98-legal-questions-law/367457-will-i-loose-my-car-getting-dui.html)

Robin17 05-17-2016 11:24 PM

Will I loose my car for getting a DUI?

Hello,

Will I loose my car if I’m convicted for DUI. I read somewhere that despite a fine and suspension of license, the authority will also confiscate the vehicle in charge.

Is this true?

ezone 05-17-2016 11:47 PM

Re: Will I loose my car for getting a DUI?

Consult an attorney!

Every place seems to have different rules/laws, contact someone who specializes in law

sdaidoji 05-17-2016 11:54 PM

They can impound the car, depending on location. But you are using internet, easier to simply check the local rules...

Stock 99 05-18-2016 01:32 AM

Is it a Honda? Probably not...

j/k

you have to consult your provincial laws is so different province to province. Do some digging through dmv online and you should find your answers.

I can tell you here in BC (where laws are considered toughest in Canada) a first offense DUI will cost you more than $6000 to get behind the wheel again. You will have an interlock device installed in your car and you will be responsible for all maintenance and sevice of it for a year. If you fail the conditions of that in the first year then you'll have to do another year. Our government run insurance company will also make it extremely difficult for you to afford car insurance.

but take your car.... no.

Robin17 05-18-2016 03:38 AM

So, are you saying it's better to forget the car? But doing so, my record of DUI will be never pardoned.

sdaidoji 05-18-2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Robin17 (Post 4707854)
So, are you saying it's better to forget the car? But doing so, my record of DUI will be never pardoned.

have you checked the local laws in your area already? or are you still drunk to not have read so far...

Robin17 05-19-2016 01:04 AM

I'm from Toronto. So, it looks like the police will detain the car for 7 days under our law.
I have consulted Kostman&Pyzer barristers to defend the case. My license is going to be suspended for long. Hope the lawyer could reduce it.

MassCivic 05-20-2016 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Robin17 (Post 4707917)
I'm from Toronto. So, it looks like the police will detain the car for 7 days under our law.
I have consulted Kostman&Pyzer barristers to defend the case. My license is going to be suspended for long. Hope the lawyer could reduce it.

Best of luck, hope it all works out for you and you learn something from the experience.

I won't drive beyond two beers, the cops are always out to get you. It's just not worth the risk.

Robin17 05-20-2016 11:39 PM

I never taking a car to pub again.

thanks guys

mikey1 07-19-2016 11:25 AM

late reply to this i know,

but in ontario (which i believe you are from) your vehicle is kept/impounded for 7 days, to get the vehicle back after 7 days you will have to pay the tow fee, plus an impound fee for each day, in total this is likely to cost you around $800

your license is suspended immediately for 90 days,

if convicted your fine would be minimum $1000, this could increase depending on previous record,

if convicted you would be suspended for one year, after the one year suspension you would need to use an interlock device for one year in any vehicle you drive, and you would need to pay for that,

you would also need to attend and pass an alcohol program called "back on track" at your own cost of about $700 before you get your license back

but to answer the original question, no they do not take or keep your car, that would only happen if you failed to recover the car from the impound lot by not going to get it and paying the recovery fees