Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Legal Questions and the Law (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/98-legal-questions-law)
-   -   So my girlfriend hit my car (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/98-legal-questions-law/229287-so-my-girlfriend-hit-my-car.html)

LuckyCharms 09-25-2005 01:09 PM

So my girlfriend hit my car

I was letting her drive my car on the freeway yesterday (never again!), she was trying to merge, but wasn't looking in front of her and hit a Honda Accord which hit a Ford f150. The Ford looks like it's tow hook was dented a little. The Honda Accord will have to get the front and rear bumper replaced. My car will need a new front bumper, right headlight, right fender, and it looks like there is some frame damage that will have to hammered out.

We all exchanged information , I gave them my info even though my girlfriend was driving the car. She'll call them later today to give them her info since her family will be dealing with the damages. We're all trying to do this under the table so insurence won't hike up our premiums. I've never been in this situation before so is there anything I should know or do? Thanks

pwr2thaboost 09-25-2005 03:19 PM

NEVER LET HER DRIVE AGAIN! ... thats what i say

MattMC 09-25-2005 03:26 PM

Just be carefull my friend was in a wreck he was doing it under the table and when they finished the guy said he had neck problems and contacted his lawyer when my friend already paid the guy like 500$ i think to fix his rear bumper. Just keep alert bro! And yea dont let her drive again I let my Gf drive in a big open parking lot...lol

FuzzBeC00L 09-25-2005 06:51 PM

break up with her!!!

yourinmyw0rld 09-25-2005 09:01 PM

Make sure you type up areement that everyone signs that your not going through insurance.so if anyone does you have proof.

soonercivic 09-25-2005 10:27 PM

Ok heres the deal. Even if you go through YOUR insurance, if your girl is not on your policy your premiums shouldnt be affected. If shes not a rateable driver then they have no way to charge you. If she has her own insurance seperatly, dont call and tell them, and you should be fine. This will only work if you have seperate insurance with different companies. But if you wanna pay outta your own pocket, knock yourself out, thats a definete way to keep it off your record. If the police showed up and wrote a ticket, then you have no chance.

nooboob 09-26-2005 03:51 AM

Wow. you keep cool under pressure... No exclamation marks, no cussing.... you are like the calmest guy I know...

If I were in your shoes, I would dump the girl.

from your moving car, on the highway.

Tragedy 09-26-2005 10:14 AM

Rent a comedy and laugh a little.

oh, and never let gf drive the car again.

Al Gore FTW 09-26-2005 03:14 PM

i would punch her in the cvnt.

invrtdsa1nt 09-26-2005 03:34 PM

ovaries are a better shot. straight to the babymaker.

stl01civic 09-26-2005 04:04 PM

If you are doing it under the table. MAKE SURE, you guys make an agreement on PAPER.
I had an accident, like 2years ago.
I payed the ladie 1800 worth of damage. I didn't do any paper work, saiding I payed for the damage or anything. She ended call the insurance AFTER I payed her that $1800.
So she got $1800 for free + got her car fixed free.

MattMC 09-26-2005 04:58 PM

Everyone just wants money now days. I remember my grandpa always tellin me "back in the day" if you got in a wreck you just let it be or something lol. Yea everyone now days is sue happy for money but can you blame them...well yea but gas prices shooting up everything costing more and more ya know? My mom still talks about when gas was 91cents a gallon.

Blkbear 09-26-2005 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyCharms
I was letting her drive my car on the freeway yesterday (never again!), she was trying to merge, but wasn't looking in front of her and hit a Honda Accord which hit a Ford f150. The Ford looks like it's tow hook was dented a little. The Honda Accord will have to get the front and rear bumper replaced. My car will need a new front bumper, right headlight, right fender, and it looks like there is some frame damage that will have to hammered out.

We all exchanged information , I gave them my info even though my girlfriend was driving the car. She'll call them later today to give them her info since her family will be dealing with the damages. We're all trying to do this under the table so insurence won't hike up our premiums. I've never been in this situation before so is there anything I should know or do? Thanks

To add to what others have said about getting it in writing, get the original and copies of any agreements, NOTARIZED. Get all parties together and get all the agreements as far as they have to deal with you and your car and any damage you are taking care of, written down and spelled out.

If you are paying to have their car repaired, you will be paying with checks ONLY and exactly what the checks are for, gets written on the receipts. No cash is to pass from one person to another without someone that has nothing to gain from the agreement(s), being a witness. And get all receipts signed. All checks should ONLY, be written to the shop(s) doing the work, you want a copy of the work order and will be writing the check to the place doing the work, and yes this need to be in the written agreement. That way they can't say it was never repaired and that you never paid them for the repair, if there is a paper trail (agreements, checks and receipts), and that has their names signed to it and notarized.

If you talk to any of the parties on the phone, make sure you tape each and every conversation and yes you will need to let them know that the calls will be recorded so that there can't be any mis-understanding about what was said about what. And if you or they are confused about something, make sure the confusion is cleared up right then and there, and not a few months later when you can't remember what was said (thus the reason for recording the calls). At the very least, make a phone log for anything dealing with the car(s) and take tons of notes of who you talked to and when, time etc. Is all this attention to detain going to be a big PITA? Yup, but saves the bigger PITA later should they decide you're going to be their money tree this year and call it into their insurance companies if you pay them anything without a written agreement, and you have paid cash for things that you can't prove.

midnightblueciv 09-26-2005 11:58 PM

Get It On Paper!!!!!!!

LuckyCharms 09-27-2005 12:14 AM

Yeah most likely this will be going through insurence now. He's quoted us $4,000 for repairs + transmission work later on + rental car. What I'm hoping for now is that my girlfriends insurence company will take over so I won't be caught in the middle between the the parties. I'll be calling the insurence company tomorrow to see whos insurence this will go under. Would anyone have any idea who this will go under?

*GF rear ends accord which hits f150
*f150 still hasn't made contact with us and it's looking like they probably won't
* My insurence doesn't cover other people driving my car
* GF's insurence doesn't cover her driving other peoples car

Blkbear 09-27-2005 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyCharms
Yeah most likely this will be going through insurence now. He's quoted us $4,000 for repairs + transmission work later on + rental car. What I'm hoping for now is that my girlfriends insurence company will take over so I won't be caught in the middle between the the parties. I'll be calling the insurence company tomorrow to see whos insurence this will go under. Would anyone have any idea who this will go under?

*GF rear ends accord which hits f150
*f150 still hasn't made contact with us and it's looking like they probably won't
* My insurence doesn't cover other people driving my car
* GF's insurence doesn't cover her driving other peoples car

Hummmm... seems like it's all pretty much going to be in your lap... your car, with you in the car, allowing someone else to drive it with you permission knowing that you are not covered for any other drivers. It would of course be great if your GF's insurance takes care of things, but they are going to look at it like this... "We don't cover her to drive her BF's car, so he's out of luck..." So best you don't be counting on her insurance being nice guys.

The owner of the car your GF hit, will be going for the deep pockets first, owner second and driver last.

So unless she was driving because you were blind drunk or blinded by her beauty, it's all on you for letting her drive. You both better hope they now don't start having mystery neck and back pains.

Tylerquinn 08-27-2017 08:00 AM

Re: So my girlfriend hit my car

Look bro as long your going through insurance your going to be fine. If it's hers theirs or yours. As long as insurance is involved you should be fine. If you decided not to go through insurance you run the risk of getting screwed or getting sued.

sdaidoji 08-27-2017 09:24 AM

Re: So my girlfriend hit my car

Originally Posted by Tylerquinn (Post 4729655)
Look bro as long your going through insurance your going to be fine. If it's hers theirs or yours. As long as insurance is involved you should be fine. If you decided not to go through insurance you run the risk of getting screwed or getting sued.

that's a 12 year old thread you brought back...