Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Ottawa (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/97-ottawa)
-   -   Need new shocks (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/97-ottawa/278748-need-new-shocks.html)

player 09-14-2006 09:21 AM

Need new shocks

so my shock are garabage as always, i am sick of the poor quality and feeling every bump like i was sitting on the frame, so i need new shocks

where should i go, where is the cheapest, and what is the cheapest

i was quoted $143.00ea front and $95.00ea for the rear from Nolimits for KYB's

EŽik 09-14-2006 03:37 PM

I don't think it's the shocks Abe. It's probably the springs.

player 09-14-2006 03:53 PM

what do u mean the springs,

i hit a bump, the car frame literaly hits the suspention, like the shock is not even there.

why would there be anything wrong with my goldlines ?

EŽik 09-14-2006 05:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but if there was a problem with your shocks, you'd be bouncing everywhere. You probably don't have enough travel and are hitting the bump stops hence the hitting sound you hear. You might need to get a different spring. One set with a milder drop. I don't think getting new shocks will solve your problem.

1sykcivic 09-14-2006 05:11 PM

yea its the springs, same thing with my ground control coils its stiff and small

Shaneer 09-14-2006 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1sykcivic
ground control coils its stiff and small

you talking about springs or eric penis...haha small and stiff:giggle: :giggle:

just playing eric im just really bored and i thought it was funny

but yo abe im guessing its you spring also you would know if it was your shocks..if you hit a bump yes you feel it but your car would have less control and alot of sway when your stopping. and plus youve had those springs for a while now..id think about replaceing them...most aftermarket stuff doesnt last as long as oem

player 09-15-2006 12:32 AM

ok then

where should i go for new springs, and what should i get that will be less of a drop then the 1.7 on my goldlines ??

i dont wanna pay too much

EŽik 09-15-2006 02:21 PM

Why don't you buy Eli's springs?? I think he still has them and they were never installed?? I think they are Eibach (sp) 1" drop all around.

Shane...... you GUUUY!!!! Good one buddy :D

Abe, I also think that after the goldlines settled they were closer to a 2" drop.

DDragon7 09-16-2006 09:52 PM

Yup, exactly 2" lower than stock, I measured my neighbour's LX compared to my goldlines.

WhiteHalf 09-17-2006 12:04 AM

I think it could be the strut ... because, the stock strut is getting weaker, so maybe it doesn't have the strength to stop the bouncing from the spring when he hits a bump in the road.

Therefore, it hits his bump stops every time he hits a decent sized bump, because the strut is too weak to stop the travel (up and down) before the bump stop gets in the way.

EŽik 09-17-2006 07:22 PM

He would feel that Mike. Every time he would take a corner, it would start knocking, and he'd feel it in the steering wheel. A good way to test if it's the strut would be to step down on the rocker pannel. If the car bounces more than 1 full bounce then it's blown. If not it's the springs.

WhiteHalf 09-19-2006 08:48 PM

I know ... I thought he said that he say he feels every little bump ?

player 09-20-2006 12:28 PM

you guys dont know shit.

im not spending 600 bucks on shocks. so i am going to pretend eric is a suspension god, and change my springs only

WhiteHalf 09-20-2006 08:21 PM

Ok well, change your springs ... So that is at least $150 for the new springs - then likely in the range of $90-$120 for the dropped alignment. I'm counting that being close to $300 at least, I'd make sure I was doing the right thing before spending the $$$.

We're not talking $60 vs $700

Have these symptoms changed over time with your car ? Or has it always been this way ? and maybe you're just getting tired of the rough ride. I'd suck to change to new springs and have the same problem.

Maybe it is the particular spring rate on the Goldlines, how about a Eibach or Neuspeed spring ?

DDragon7 09-20-2006 09:26 PM

I think Abe needs to go on a diet, that could solve his problem. :rofl: