Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Ottawa (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/97-ottawa)
-   -   Car Problems (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/97-ottawa/234285-car-problems.html)

Big Baller L 11-08-2005 11:39 AM

Car Problems

:_disgust:
Alright folks I need some advice. I brought my car to honda the other day cuz my battery light came on. I figured its the alternator messing up and I didnt want to risk the car dying so i brought it directly there. My warranty is up at 60,000 so thats out of the question. They claimed it was the pullies (feasible claim) so i decided to change the alternator and get it over with.

So i pick my car up on saturday and they say everything is fine. I get in my car and the voltage is still around 11...failry low, but i figured the alternator needed some warm up time. So i drive home and everything seems alright. Anyways today I was bringing it back to them cuz the battery light came on AGAIN! Anyways the car died on the side of the road and i got it towed there.

Now im wondering what the hell is goin on. I get a new alternator put in, and 2 days later its dead? What kinda bullshit is that. Im thinking they messed something up at installation...there is no other explanation. AEM pullies were taken off so that cant be the problem. I doubt a sound system can wear an alternator out in 2 days considering ive had my system for almost 3 years now.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Im just pissed honda let the car go if it wasnt ready/ not functioning properly.
For now im stuck waiting for there second diagnosis....that will probably try and blame it on something so they dont have to fix it.
Thanks for any help in advance.

skiboard 11-08-2005 11:56 AM

so your car died while running?

Big Baller L 11-08-2005 12:31 PM

^yeah...the second time around...i didnt think i could make it but figured id try...not really any other options but to tow it.

EŽik 11-08-2005 01:18 PM

Thats wierd man. Either way they claimed your car was working fine when you picked it up. It's obviously not so whatever is wrong with it, you can blaim them. They shouldn't screw you. Which dealership are you dealing with?

Big Baller L 11-08-2005 01:39 PM

^hunt club...they are decent...im gonna flip if they try to pull some bullshit.

Tofast4me 11-08-2005 11:52 PM

I'd say it would be the alternator. Did they replace it with a new alternator or a referbished one?

player 11-09-2005 02:27 AM

im gonna say battery, thats what happened with me, alternator died, and it killed the battery, and even after getting a new alternator, my car would still still die if i hadent changed the battery too, because even though the alternator is charging the battery, the baterry cant hold a charge, and causes the car to die

Big Baller L 11-09-2005 11:29 AM

Yah i payed for a new alternator so it better be a new one.
The thing is the car died while I was driving, and I just had my old battery replaced under warranty.
If the battery was the case then the car wouldnt start....the car started, but died while i was driving. Once the car is started im pretty sure u can take ur battery out and still drive the car around untill you turn it off. Correct me if im wrong.

player 11-09-2005 02:59 PM

yes and no, 90 % of the power would be coming from the alternator, but there are chances where the car does need the battery, and if it is not there the car will die.

bah, i am out of ideas, let honda figure it out

WhiteHalf 11-09-2005 03:10 PM

just a stab in the dark ... did you recently do any modifications to the electrical system ? Maybe there is a short somewhere ...

My uncle had a shotty alarm on his used BMW, the thing needed a resistor or something like that, he is good at that stuff and figured it out, even tho it took him about 2 weeks.
The thing was acting all weird, lights that were supposed to turn off weren't etc etc ...

I dunno ...

Maybe your battery is just old, and has been dry cycled too many times, if it kept dying over and over, I heard that affects the ability for the battery to keep a full charge.

Big Baller L 11-09-2005 05:24 PM

^well got the car back and they said it was a faulty alternator that they installed. Pretty sure its a bunch of bullshit but who knows. Anyways everything is fine and it definately wasnt the battery. Aem pullies are off and are stayin off, so hopefully my problems are done!

player 11-09-2005 05:46 PM

hmm, if u need a drive home from le skratch if your car doesnt work, give me a call :)

i am studying at the second cup right infront of le skcratch and i see your car parked there, its a beauty

Big Baller L 11-09-2005 09:28 PM

^^huh?? ur seein the el or that other gaddam civic copycat...lol
dammit i need an evo

DDragon7 11-09-2005 10:06 PM

Hey Baller, jus looked at ur car in ur ride section, it looks really famillar...do u goto Carleton U?

player 11-10-2005 08:04 AM

YES HE DOES

man everyone at carleton knows ballers car, he must be one of those guys that drive around campuss all day, revving with his bass up

Seriously though landin, YOU NEED DIFFRENT RIMS, too many care have the same rims as you, you need some really nice 19s. Pimpin Rapper style

Tofast4me 11-10-2005 08:52 AM

if it's your battery it could still start and then sie while driving. That happened to me. I drove for over 45min then it dies. If the battery light is comming on then it is most likley something to do with the alternator. I have fried 3 batteries and one battery would not keep a charge. All times the battery light did not come on. When they battery light comes on it has something to do with the alternator

Big Baller L 11-10-2005 01:04 PM

^forshure thats what i figured! Hopefully its fixed and if not theres a year warranty on the alternator...so hopefully i doesnt die after a year and a month.

Yeah i go to carelton. I park in lot 6. Dragon if you see me now ud laught at my car...lol but say whasup anyways...im skinny and tall and always have headphones on....ALWAYS!! lol
Abe: hahaa no way...i drive into my lot and out...dont even touch 80% of campus...only a ricer would think to do that:D lol jk:p

But i do agree that I need new rims...ive seen another red civic with my wheels...its getting to be way 2 much. One or 2 cars is okay...but theres probably 10 now. Maybe next summer when i get a new front lip. I need new tires next season also, so if the album goes well i can def get somethin new!

EŽik 11-10-2005 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by player
YES HE DOES

man everyone at carleton knows ballers car, he must be one of those guys that drive around campuss all day, revving with his bass up

Seriously though landin, YOU NEED DIFFRENT RIMS, too many care have the same rims as you, you need some really nice 19s. Pimpin Rapper style

Abe, you NEED rims dude :lol:

NoiSe 11-10-2005 02:17 PM

nah Landin keeps to himself... I can't see his car in the parking lot even when I want to lol

Landin, speaking of Lot 6, have you seen that white Integra w/ black rims and red interior? OMG it's so fvcking nice :_bow: I want I want.. You know if it's a type-r??

DDragon7 11-10-2005 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by player
YES HE DOES

Its cuz he has a really clean ride, one of the best I've seen on campus.

WhiteHalf 11-11-2005 02:28 AM

If it is black I dont think the Acura will be a type r ... from my knowledge type r's only came in pearl white and yellow for a year and that was it. Unless the guy got it repainted.

SuperFishy 11-11-2005 11:59 AM

im sure you honda kids know this, just check if there are 4 or 5 lug nuts hiding in the wheels, 5 its a type r or someone whos got to much cash right?

EŽik 11-12-2005 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHalf
If it is black I dont think the Acura will be a type r ... from my knowledge type r's only came in pearl white and yellow for a year and that was it. Unless the guy got it repainted.

Mike, Myke said the teg was white with red interior and black rims :)

WhiteHalf 11-13-2005 07:40 PM

ah ok .. helps if I read the entire post I suppose, eh :P

Big Baller L 11-13-2005 10:15 PM

yah i think ive seen it....ill check next time!
IM thinkin of selling my civic and finding a old corolla 86...do some suspension and go drifting...lol

NoiSe 11-13-2005 10:19 PM

^^ :screwy: too much Initial D Landin... lol j/p

Big Baller L 11-13-2005 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by NoiSe
^^ :screwy: too much Initial D Landin... lol j/p

haha man ive gotta learn eventually...been driftin in all these games...might as well do it in real life...lol

DDragon7 11-13-2005 11:23 PM

You sure u can afford drifting? I mean its gonna be hard on the tires, transmission... and so forth.

Big Baller L 11-13-2005 11:34 PM

^^yep...i can get free tires from goldwing...(all the old ones people throw away)
but forshure hard on the car...but eventually id like to learn. No necissarily going crazy or anything...just learning would be fun!

SerialD 11-14-2005 09:48 AM

gotta respect the Treuno