Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps)
-   -   EX motor difference? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps/348154-ex-motor-difference.html)

FerstlerSlim 04-09-2012 03:47 PM

EX motor difference?

I have a blown motor on my 04 EX, can i swap an 01 EX motor right in?

I found one locally on craigslist and am curious if it is a straight swap.

Thanks,

Dave

krudmuphin 04-09-2012 04:05 PM

Re: EX motor difference?

Yeah it should swap right in, but that's not the problem.
It's illegal in most countries to swap an older engine into a newer car. You'd have to get an 04 or 05 motor or else you'd be at risk of a huge fine.

rjones7755 04-09-2012 06:09 PM

I doubt it would be a problem theyre both a d17a2 so i see nothing wrong with it

sl33pyriceboi 04-09-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rjones7755 (Post 4596232)
I doubt it would be a problem theyre both a d17a2 so i see nothing wrong with it

they are the same engine but honda had refined the D17a2 manual a bit...i cant remember exactly what they were but the throw out bearing was one of them.

krudmuphin is correct. if you are in the States, you can only legally swap an engine that is the same year or newer.

so you can swap in ANY motor that is 04+ (from D17 to k20...even an LS7)

lazlong 04-09-2012 07:21 PM

Legally- no. If you did it anyways would anybody really know or check- I seriously doubt it.

Just make sure they're the same engine- D17A2. Otherwise you're gonna run into problems.

krudmuphin 04-09-2012 09:55 PM

I agree that even if you did swap those, nobody would ever notice or check because it's not a criteria of vehicle registration. But it's better to not take the risk. The government will chew you out and in rare cases, sell the engine right out of your car. It happened to a lot of Skyline owners in California a couple years ago who had illegal engines that didn't comply with emissions and DOT regulation's standards. :hithead: That example is a much more serious case, but you get the idea...

FerstlerSlim 04-09-2012 11:10 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be doing the clutch and to bearing at the same time.

Dave

sl33pyriceboi 04-10-2012 01:20 AM

yup. if your car is stock you most likely wont ever get bothered by the cops...

however, if u ever sold ur car.....and the new owners find out and report it or try and sue (just an example)....then your gonna be in deeeeeeeeeep shit.

you can find a 04 or 05 MT engine for a few hundred more... not worth the headach IMO.

sl33pyriceboi 04-10-2012 01:20 AM

and lets face it, no matter how much we love our civics.... a very very very low percentage of us actually keeps it until it "dies"