Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps)
-   -   CAI and remove CAT - How much horse power? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps/323346-cai-remove-cat-how-much-horse-power.html)

Hondan 11-01-2009 04:21 AM

CAI and remove CAT - How much horse power?

How much horse power would I gain if I removed the first catalyst and
add a cold air intake on a stock D17A?

ES3 Type RS

lowlife9 11-01-2009 07:36 AM

Re: CAI and remove CAT - How much horse power?

lol maybe 1-2

baron340 11-01-2009 09:05 AM

You may gain a maximum of 2 hp and you will likely lose 5 ft*lb of torque.

greeen01civic4d 11-01-2009 09:12 AM

u will gain 1 million hp

Awjvail 11-01-2009 11:39 AM

Over 9000.

ProjectMayhemR 11-01-2009 09:49 PM

who cares, a slow car is a slow car... and you sir have a slow car.

turbo zombie 11-01-2009 11:22 PM

a few years ago one of the import magazines did a test on the power difference between a stock cat, a high flow cat, and a test pipe (no cat). the vehicle they tested was an already highly tuned R34 skyline. the baseline test, with the factory converters, was somewhere around 540 whp. the high flow cat gained i think 2 hp. the test pipe only gained another 3 or 4.

on a race car, that can matter. on a stock or mostly stock civic, that's more legal and environmental risk than is worth the reward of 1-2 hp. your car would be noticeably louder, even with a factory exhaust. modern oem catalytic converters do not restrict flow a significant amount.

see my sig, my 242 turbo made more "butt dyno" power with a factory cat and a straight through muffler, than with no cat and a stock muffler. it was quieter that way as well.

04 Honda Civic 11-02-2009 12:23 AM

You can probably keep up with evos

Hondan 11-02-2009 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic (Post 4442961)
You can probably keep up with evos

With turbo added, driving on race gas.

civicsrcool 11-02-2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hondan (Post 4443002)
With turbo added, driving on race gas.

you need some nawz too :/.

Jp7 11-02-2009 03:50 PM

the advantage of taking away a converter is the fun fuels you can use without having to worry about ruining it.

turbo zombie 11-02-2009 04:44 PM

yeah, but again, what kind of help is that going to be to a stock ecu'd civic? fun fuels are only fun if you tune for them.

Hondan 11-02-2009 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by turbo zombie (Post 4443073)
yeah, but again, what kind of help is that going to be to a stock ecu'd civic? fun fuels are only fun if you tune for them.

Whst kind of ecu work can I do?

slowassd17 11-03-2009 11:11 AM

you cant really do anything to your stock d17 ecu, you could buy a piggy back ems or hondata kpro, but if you dont have any big plans for the car, or plan on spending a decent amount of money then it wouldnt be worth it

Hondan 11-03-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by slowassd17 (Post 4443218)
you cant really do anything to your stock d17 ecu, you could buy a piggy back ems or hondata kpro, but if you dont have any big plans for the car, or plan on spending a decent amount of money then it wouldnt be worth it

Ok instead of adding a turbo kit, I am going to sell it and
buy a FD2 SI and add a FD2-R spoiler to it and a few other upgrades.

slowassd17 11-03-2009 09:53 PM

your going to sell the car?

Hondan 11-04-2009 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by slowassd17 (Post 4443340)
your going to sell the car?

very soon

ProjectMayhemR 11-04-2009 12:55 PM

I honestly don't think you need to be messing with cars. You first made a post about removing your cat and adding an intake instead of searching. Now you want to sell it and buy another car, and the first thing you want to do is put on a spoiler and other nameless random mods. Pardon my French but **** the spoiler and save up your money for something worthwhile like a turbo kit. You came asking about power gains and now you want to buy a new car and put a spoiler on it. If the reason you are selling your car is a lack of power, buy parts that will add power to the new one and buy your spoiler later.

seoul4korea 11-04-2009 03:48 PM

NA needs at little back pressure. It really Helps when using on a Turbo car. Turbochargers them self create the back pressure that's needed. Removing you cat isn't going to allow you to gain too much from a d17.

Hondan 11-04-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhemR (Post 4443466)
I honestly don't think you need to be messing with cars. You first made a post about removing your cat and adding an intake instead of searching. Now you want to sell it and buy another car, and the first thing you want to do is put on a spoiler and other nameless random mods. Pardon my French but **** the spoiler and save up your money for something worthwhile like a turbo kit. You came asking about power gains and now you want to buy a new car and put a spoiler on it. If the reason you are selling your car is a lack of power, buy parts that will add power to the new one and buy your spoiler later.

Thanks 4 the advice - but the FD2-R spoiler is to give the SI the R look . :screwy:

ProjectMayhemR 11-04-2009 06:47 PM

double post

ProjectMayhemR 11-04-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hondan (Post 4443508)
Thanks 4 the advice - but the FD2-R spoiler is to give the SI the R look . :screwy:

yea the look without the performance. :_doh:

Awjvail 11-04-2009 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhemR (Post 4443466)

Epic win.

Acem2ex 11-05-2009 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to admit that I laughed a little. Going to go buy a big wing for my EM2 now. Give it that rice look.
Attachment 107510

HLC 12-15-2009 03:35 PM

that picture there is made of awesomesauce and win

jamis33 12-15-2009 04:02 PM

guys talk to bomber and he will tell u no cat WILL give you power. All this talk of backpressure is just crazy. you can run 2.5" exhaust on all stock with no cat and STILL have more than enough backpressure. I run 2.25" on pnp head with stage 1 cam and before i put a header on i was running stock exhaust and there was SOOOO much backpressure my header cracked and the crack expanded to a hole. Just an fyi. Our cars have so much backpressure u dont neet to worry about it. Cat is terrible for the environment I will admit and for personal reasons i will probably add a cat but for now its really not that bad. Loss in backpressure is insignificant when compared to the butt dyno results

gearbox 12-15-2009 08:49 PM

how come all these 200+ hp cars all have cats from the factory and run just fine? but on a civic with 100 hp it causes problems.

sl33pyriceboi 12-15-2009 10:38 PM

hahah. this thread and the OP's question is epic.

5hp stickers FTW!

lordhelmet 12-16-2009 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by jamis33 (Post 4448909)
I run 2.25" on pnp head with stage 1 cam and before i put a header on i was running stock exhaust and there was SOOOO much backpressure my header cracked and the crack expanded to a hole.

Wait, too much pressure caused a crack in your header?

2005civiclx 12-23-2009 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hondan (Post 4443508)

FD2 is only type r. SI is FA5 for the sedan and FG2 is the coupe so i think you want to go for the type r look.