Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps)
-   -   Having A Problem W/misfire Over 5500 Rpms. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps/292626-having-problem-w-misfire-over-5500-rpms.html)

ST8RACE 03-31-2007 09:27 PM

Having A Problem W/misfire Over 5500 Rpms.

ok , a Q; 1st will a IC pipe leak create a lean condition at high rpms and give me misfire codes ? because i have a intake leak code everytime i get misfire codes not everytime but most of the time . next how do you ck for leaks in the IC pipes ? what is a good test, spray the connectors with something and what to ck for . looking for help from a knowledgable turbo member. have been chasing this misfire problem for a little while.

Had a problem with the head at one time and had it repaired.and know the misfire codes are back at high rpms P0301-P0304,CYL #1-CYL#4 ,ALSO
P0300 multi misfire and P2279 intake air leak. only get at high rpms in 3rd gear to 5th gear . over 5500 rpms . all of 1st gear is fine all in 2nd gear is fine. starts in 3rd gear know if i shift before 5500 its fine . i have tried adding fuel at the rpm area , but has not worked,and tried to give it fuel at 5,6,7, psi area, did not work . but it leans out 13.6 afr and misfire accurs.
hense the Q about the intake leak causing a lean conditions under high rpms . im just puzzled because its fine in 1st and 2nd gear. looking for some help to my delama. thanks for any one that can shed some light on my troubles. :hithead:

02fpcivic 03-31-2007 09:41 PM

Re: Having A Problem W/misfire Over 5500 Rpms.

Its detonation for sure. Lack of fuel will cause a lean condition. If you dont correct it at least show us the pictures of the aftermath.

02fpcivic 03-31-2007 09:46 PM

1st and 2nd put less "load" on the engine due to gear reduction plus they are short quick gears giving you less time to get the whole picture. Its still happening there but its not as severe or noticable. If you are using an emanage or almost any other piggyback you'll continue to have this problem. If you had a boost leak you'd be forcing less air into the engine than if everything was optimal, that pretty much never would cause a tune to go lean.

andyman97 03-31-2007 10:07 PM

Dude, there are so many factors involved in this, you need to give more specifics of your setup. Air leak code? WTF is that? I don't have my manual so I can't reference the code right now. If you keep pushing it without finding out the problem, your motor will be destroyed in no time. What are you using to read your air pressure in boost?

ST8RACE 04-01-2007 08:07 AM

IM USING A BOOST GAUGE,AND THE TSI CONTROLLER. I HAVE A VAC .MANIFOLD THAT SUPPLIES VAC TO THE CONTROL BOX,BOOST GAUGE,BLOW OFF VALVE AND THE FUEL REGULATOR (REG ADDS FUEL 1-1 ON BOOST )IT CAME WITH THE FUEL RETURN SYSTEM . (FROM STREET LEVEL PERFORMANCE).
MY SET UP :
T25 BB TSI TURBO KIT,W/INTERCOOLER
TSI FUEL CONTROLLER W/FUEL PLATE 2 ADDED INJECTORS.
SLP FUEL RETURN SYSTEM W/FUEL REGULATOR
WALBRO 255 FUEL PUMP.
BIGGER THROTTLE BODY
HEAD WORK PNP,DECKED 30 THOUSANDS,THREE ANGLE VALVE JOB,AND
HEAT TREATED SPRINGS. AND A CUSTOMER BUILT CAM FROM (GUDE)
ARP HEAD STUDS
FACTORY HEAD GASKET
FACTORY IGNITION COILS
NGK IRUIDIM PLUGS (PRO CIVIC) REC FOR TURBO SET UP.1 STEP COLDER
TANABE G2 CAT BACK
TSI DOWN PIPE AND NO CAT. CONVERTER
USED THE SPARK PLUG NON-FOULERS FOR THE O2 SENSOR
(TO MIN. CK ENGINE LIGHTS) BUT STILL GET THEM ,SLOW RESPONSE
FACTORY AIR/FUEL SENSOR
ENGALS STIFFY

I THINK THAT SOMES UP THE ENGINE MODS .
MY BOOST GAUGE READS 7PSI WOT.
I WORK AT A HONDA DEALERSHIP AND IM USING A HDS TO TUNE.
IT READS ALL DATA ON A TABLET TOUCH SCREEN ,
AND IM LEANING OUT AT 5500-6200 RPMS HIT OR MISS AREAS
SPIKED AT 13.5 .
WHEN IM DRIVING AND ALL SEEMS GOOD IM AT 12.5 AFR
I HAVE ADJUSTABLITY OF ADDED FUEL AT RPM RANGE AND BOOST RANGE
RPM ADJUSTING IS AT 500 RPM INCREMENTS.CURRENTLY MY FUEL PRESS. REGULATOR AT IDLE IS SET AT 40 PSI AND GOES UP WITH BOOST.
THIS IS MY INFO ,AND IM ASKING FOR HELP ANDYMAN. ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE GREATFULL.

:_bow: :_bow: :_bow: :_bow:

tfnaaf 04-01-2007 09:36 AM

As for code p2279: i would check the pcv valve and hose to make sure its not poped off, split, or broken. Also check the brake booster hose for the same. This may be causing the code when your NOT under boost.

tfnaaf 04-01-2007 09:38 AM

What are the long term /short term injector corrections at.

Boilermaker1 04-01-2007 10:02 AM

Am I reading this right... you decked .030 off the head? As in almost 4 times times the service limit? (and yes, I realize the service limit is there for other purposes)
So you're running that rigged TSI setup with stock injectors and a higher compression motor with a bigger cam and then you're shoving 7psi in there.
What is the injector duty and pulse length? Something tells me you're way short, especially if you're running out by 5K.

Ummmm why not try 440cc or 550cc injectors and some real engine management?
5 bucks that solves the problem.

andyman97 04-01-2007 03:29 PM

Sounds like, for some reason, your sensor is seeing a pressure drop. You may be leaking air out at the map sensor. I agree with boiler though, with that rigged management setup you're running, you're going to have a ridiculous amount of problems. Your car will never run right with cel's on. You need to get rid of them permanently before anything else. Get a helm's manual for your car, www.helminc.com
Go through all of the codes and troubleshoot them all till you fix them, then work it out. This is exactly why a good tuner won't even strap a car on the dyno with a cel.

ST8RACE 04-01-2007 07:52 PM

Found My Air Leak. Found It From The Factory Intake Manifold To The Injector Plate From The Tsi Kit . Will Have To Get Ride Of This Tsi Fuel Shit. Nothing But Problems . Put My Factory Camshaft In ,and Seems To Idle Better.and Know I Dont Get Misfire Codes At Idle .but Only At And Around 5500 Rpms . Will Fix Air Leak. And Try Again . Safing Money For The Aem Ems. Will Update Later After Air Leak Repair . Thanks Everyone For The Assistance .

dezod 04-01-2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic (Post 4167687)
Its detonation for sure. Lack of fuel will cause a lean condition. If you dont correct it at least show us the pictures of the aftermath.

Preach on brotha. :)