Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps)
-   -   d17 turbo question.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps/254313-d17-turbo-question.html)

filipinop1405 03-29-2006 09:42 AM

d17 turbo question....

hey ya'll i've searched and i remember seeing it on here before but can't find it anymore.... i have and lx and was wondering if i plan on boosting should i do the ex head swap for vtec? i can't remember what was said before. thanks... also in your personal opinion is it worth it to do a frankenstein swap and turbo it than just building the internals to a d17 and boosting it?? thanks for the info ya'll...

dezod 03-29-2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by filipinop1405
hey ya'll i've searched and i remember seeing it on here before but can't find it anymore.... i have and lx and was wondering if i plan on boosting should i do the ex head swap for vtec? i can't remember what was said before. thanks... also in your personal opinion is it worth it to do a frankenstein swap and turbo it than just building the internals to a d17 and boosting it?? thanks for the info ya'll...

Stick LX. VTEC & boost is great, but the LX heads can hold a bit more boost.....BUT all of the goodies like camshafts and such are for EX only...choice is yours.

BoostedVik 03-29-2006 01:00 PM

that he said ^^^
listen to dezod

tuner04civic 03-29-2006 01:01 PM

dezod knows his stuff

turboengnr 03-29-2006 03:08 PM

i would put the money towards something else. Like an AEM EMS.

03-Acura-1.7-EL 03-29-2006 03:30 PM

I wouldn't swap. It's extra expence without any significant gain for the turbo d17. Turbo stock LX d17 and leave building this for later (if neded). Just get a basic turbo kit with intercooler, rsx-s injectors and AEM ems or emanage, ~200whp with upgraded clutch and mild tune.

filipinop1405 03-31-2006 10:39 AM

dezod, do you recommend me doing the lx to ex head swap or just putting in a ex??? if i do the ex head swap will the bottom end components fit on my lx... the components that you sell, i.e. pistons, connecting rods, etc. thanks

dezod 03-31-2006 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by filipinop1405
dezod, do you recommend me doing the lx to ex head swap or just putting in a ex??? if i do the ex head swap will the bottom end components fit on my lx... the components that you sell, i.e. pistons, connecting rods, etc. thanks

It's up to you. Each way has it's own benefits and draw backs.

EX-
You get the benefit of the Crower Cam & valve train.
Crower Rods
Less boost unless you run our pistons (8.8:1)

LX-
Lower compression therefore more boost on pump gas
Rods should fit fine here too, but no one has proven it yet...
No cam use for j00
Valve train..........not sure if it will fit (should)

You already have an LX....I say boost that. :shrug:

03-Acura-1.7-EL 03-31-2006 07:27 PM

You can always upgrade to EX later on, no mods to existing turbo kit you will need to do.

se7engen_riDe 04-02-2006 01:31 AM

well dezod says you can run more boost with an LX. i would just go ahead and boost your LX and forget about the EX.