Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/60-honda-civic-racing-drift-drag-autox-time-attack)
-   -   VTEC not working? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/60-honda-civic-racing-drift-drag-autox-time-attack/76060-vtec-not-working.html)

ImportRacer2123 02-09-2003 09:22 PM

VTEC not working?

ok i have a EX 2002 coupe and i was racing last night and my VTEC never kicked in? this happen to some of you people?

CarbonFly 02-09-2003 09:54 PM

I'm not touching this subject with a 10 foot pole.:_please:

dragoon 02-09-2003 10:04 PM

you broke it :eek:

2k2civicRAY 02-09-2003 10:50 PM

okay i read a thread on this over on clubsi a long time ago. apparently when you first crank up the car it takes so long for the vtec to start working....i guess so you dont drive the hell out of your car 24/7. Oh and by the way, you only barely feel vtec kick in on our cars.....and thats only when you're really concentrating on it.

Ducatti 02-09-2003 10:50 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
I'm not touching this subject with a 10 foot pole.:_please:[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] Me either.....

rackness 02-09-2003 10:58 PM

call the fire dept. its gonna get hot in here[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

dragoon 02-10-2003 12:02 AM

hey dont flame him, he has a serious problem, his VTEC is broken! he has to get a new one :_doh: [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

S2000man01 02-10-2003 12:03 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: 2k2civicRAY
okay i read a thread on this over on clubsi a long time ago. apparently when you first crank up the car it takes so long for the vtec to start working....i guess so you dont drive the hell out of your car 24/7. Oh and by the way, you only barely feel vtec kick in on our cars.....and thats only when you're really concentrating on it.[hr]
Yeah, this is very true. In some hondas it won't actuate the high cam/rockers when the car isn't at temp. In some cars it even has a rev limiter before the car warms up. (until I am at temp in the S2k, I will hit a rev limiter at 6000rpm)

However, you can actually have your high cam not work if there is a problem. Your car will still redline, but simply using the low cam profile. If there is something wrong with the VTEC solenoid the high cam profile won't kick in.

iluvbritney 02-10-2003 06:12 PM

leave it to the PW

neeedforspeeeeed 02-10-2003 06:35 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: S2000man01

[hr]Originally posted by: 2k2civicRAY
okay i read a thread on this over on clubsi a long time ago. apparently when you first crank up the car it takes so long for the vtec to start working....i guess so you dont drive the hell out of your car 24/7. Oh and by the way, you only barely feel vtec kick in on our cars.....and thats only when you're really concentrating on it.[hr]
Yeah, this is very true. In some hondas it won't actuate the high cam/rockers when the car isn't at temp. In some cars it even has a rev limiter before the car warms up. (until I am at temp in the S2k, I will hit a rev limiter at 6000rpm)

However, you can actually have your high cam not work if there is a problem. Your car will still redline, but simply using the low cam profile. If there is something wrong with the VTEC solenoid the high cam profile won't kick in.[hr]

wow..ya learn somethin new everyday :tup: thanks!

SaiyanMatador 02-10-2003 07:42 PM

ok for one dude, if your civic is stock, you will barely hear your vtec, it will sound kinda like a louder breathing noise in your engine since ours are so damn quiet, you not gonna hear any loud thunder unless you get a DOHC vtec engine, only then will you experience any vtec, and after you drive the DOHC car, then youll notice the vtec in your car with some mods of course, i/h/e/p, now START SEARCHING, [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG]NEWBIES:tdown:

chirpin2k2civic 02-11-2003 05:20 PM

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] vtec broke?? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] i thought our vtec was for fuel consumption[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

MangoEX 02-12-2003 01:22 PM

SaiyanMatador, you're calling them Newbies? Aren't you the one who said that the Celica is as heavy as a "Rhinocerous' sack?" When in reality, the GT comes in at 2,425 lbs. (thats lighter than our 'vics)...which you happen to own. Oh and you beat those "SLOW AS SHIT" Celica GT-Ss too dont ya? I may not be an expert, but at least I dont talk trash like that. I hope you were high when you made those statements :tdown:

MangoEX 02-12-2003 01:23 PM

Oh and guys...doesn't the check-engine-light come on if your VTEC solenoid were to fail or stick?

S2000man01 02-12-2003 03:21 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: MangoEX
Oh and guys...doesn't the check-engine-light come on if your VTEC solenoid were to fail or stick?[hr]
not necessarily [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

mohawkboom 02-12-2003 03:32 PM

I read the topic and first thing that came to mind was ralph Wiggums " I think I broke my wookie" line lol..

On a side note. If your engine was not warm vtec would not engage. I'd suggest instead of asking for help here you go to your dealership, especially if your car is still under warranty.

5SpeedStallion 02-13-2003 04:25 PM

Why would he go all the way to the dealership to ask a question when he could take 5 mins to ask you guys???? Seemed like a simple enough answer. I mean, if it doesn't kick in when at temp, then he needs to go to the dealer, but till then, it makes total sense just to ask on here IMO

Vinh 02-14-2003 03:48 AM

...damn...everyone flames so much....
...doesn't take much to get annoyed does it??

geez....ppl gotta start learning somewhere....

i've only been on this site for couple months....used to have
good hospitality to newbies.....

now...more and more ppl start to hate.....

......so sad.....:cry:

ak 02-14-2003 11:22 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Vinh
...damn...everyone flames so much....
...doesn't take much to get annoyed does it??

geez....ppl gotta start learning somewhere....

i've only been on this site for couple months....used to have
good hospitality to newbies.....

now...more and more ppl start to hate.....

......so sad.....:cry:[hr]
Exactly... everyone needs to chill a little bit.

I came here knowing nothing and thanks to those of you who put time and patience i know something now.