Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/60-honda-civic-racing-drift-drag-autox-time-attack)
-   -   New Evo IX is a beast... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/60-honda-civic-racing-drift-drag-autox-time-attack/256743-new-evo-ix-beast.html)

S2000man01 04-13-2006 05:28 PM

dude. first, nowhere in there does it say that imports used to "drain" the car of fluids to attain higher horsepower numbers. nor does it offer any proof of that. (especially considering it would be physically impossible)

second, you need to take a serious crash course in how engines work. draining the car of oil means FRICTION. and friction would mean a LOSS of horsepower. NOT a gain. :_please: You're missing some very basic principles about engine lubrication and how engines work. not to mention, cars like Hondas wouldn't even WORK with no oil in them. or even low oil. as soon as they go to engage the hi cam on vtec, they hit a brick wall like a limiter, because there's not enough oil pressure to engage the rockers and followers.

i was giving you benefit of the doubt, that you merely believed what someone else had told you. but now you're kinda diggin your own hole here.

BoostedVik 04-13-2006 05:34 PM

evo fq330 with 330whp only in europe and asia

drive_fast_dail 04-13-2006 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by S2000man01
dude. first, nowhere in there does it say that imports used to "drain" the car of fluids to attain higher horsepower numbers. nor does it offer any proof of that. (especially considering it would be physically impossible)

second, you need to take a serious crash course in how engines work. draining the car of oil means FRICTION. and friction would mean a LOSS of horsepower. NOT a gain. :_please: You're missing some very basic principles about engine lubrication and how engines work. not to mention, cars like Hondas wouldn't even WORK with no oil in them. or even low oil. as soon as they go to engage the hi cam on vtec, they hit a brick wall like a limiter, because there's not enough oil pressure to engage the rockers and followers.

i was giving you benefit of the doubt, that you merely believed what someone else had told you. but now you're kinda diggin your own hole here.

Im not saying they took all of the oil out. Of course no oil isnt going to work, but i think what they were doing was more elimanting the oils cooling purpose, but keeping enough to still lubricate the engine. Im sure the oil pressure was still high where it needs it for the Vtec. I really dont know the specifics of what exactly they did, but it was pretty major automotive news so I figured most people knew about the whole SAE testing change thing. The cooling purpose of the oil hurts the power a smidge, I know I have heard of people in the past getting decent horsepower gains out of engines by replacing the oil with a small amount of something teflon based. Of course that ruins reliability and isnt realistic.

S2000man01 04-13-2006 07:24 PM

i think what you're confusing this with is the fact that some auto manufacturers would use an extremely THIN and expensive synthetic oil which would get them a couple more ponies.

And how could cooling the engine hurt power performance? Heat is the enemy, as it reduces power.

I asked our local tribologist and he said having "less" oil in a car will not add power in any way, shape, or form.

BoostedVik 04-13-2006 07:35 PM

i think what you're confusing this with is the fact that some auto manufacturers would use an extremely THIN and expensive synthetic oil which would get them a couple more ponies.

And how could cooling the engine hurt power performance? Heat is the enemy, as it reduces power.

I asked our local tribologist and he said having "less" oil in a car will not add power in any way, shape, or form.

u mean extreme heat is the enemy, would u think a cold engine would perform better than a warmed up engine

drive_fast_dail 04-13-2006 08:41 PM

yeah the hp reading were talking about here is before the engine gets a chance to overheat, it only needs to be for an instance. Its not a huge amount of power increase. But somehow they got higher horsepower numbers while still following SAE guildlines, just bending the rules at the time.

Devil 04-13-2006 09:47 PM

Evo IX's are great, drove one, only once though... wouldn't mind owning one.

zachgeyer 04-13-2006 11:05 PM

nice time

Jrfish007 04-14-2006 08:05 AM

It's possible to run on a lower mount of fuel to increase power, only if the car uses the really old "splash" method to lubercate the pistons, but I assure you, an EVO does not use this method, it has "oil injectors." So decreasing the oil amount won't help ,much on that car, but running a thin oil will increase a couple of ponies at best, not much, but combine that a few other things, you squek some more out.

Yes, and actually having more heat will speed the flame wall up (i.e. make gas more combustable and "stronger" explosion will occur) but at some point it will pre ignite the fuel and the system will retard the timing. So, making the engine run a little hotter and putting some super high octane may yeild a few more ponies, probably WAY more than thin oil.

exturbo6 04-14-2006 08:19 AM

I wouldnt mind owning any year EVO, there all sweet...

S2000man01 04-14-2006 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Yes, and actually having more heat will speed the flame wall up (i.e. make gas more combustable and "stronger" explosion will occur) but at some point it will pre ignite the fuel and the system will retard the timing. So, making the engine run a little hotter and putting some super high octane may yeild a few more ponies, probably WAY more than thin oil.

yeah when i made my statement about heat, i was not insinuating that the engine should be as cold as possible. i should have clarified.

Jrfish007 04-14-2006 12:00 PM

yeah when i made my statement about heat, i was not insinuating that the engine should be as cold as possible. i should have clarified.

yeah I figured, really wasn't tlaking to you, just helping to clearify. :)

cleancivic 05 04-14-2006 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie
Buscher...:p please...

AMS is where its at...haha just wait and see, they wont let buscher be that close...

i am sorry but who the hell do u think started the dsm world. :_bow: busher is the best and ams is like the rest sorry sacks of $hit.if u look at it were do all the top evo go buscher.last thing they are building a new drag car just for those people like u.get off ams nuts.:giggle:
back to the evo 8 are better. they both don't realy take to bolt on to good.(i.e intake and exhaust) were they realy get there power is in tuning.all the 9 have is better stuff that were found to be bad on the 8sand they fixed it on the 9s:rockon: