Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   The right (and wrong) way to mod your car (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/348830-right-wrong-way-mod-your-car.html)

john65551 05-10-2012 01:32 PM

The right (and wrong) way to mod your car

I wrote an article about this, I wanted to see what you guys thought and if you had any input to add to the article.

Article here

Let me know what you think, I appreciate any feedback and will add any good suggestions to the article. You can either comment here or on the article directly.

Thanks!

got2run5 05-10-2012 01:53 PM

Re: The right (and wrong) way to mod your car

I agree with everything except the hubcaps to rims thing. I think it's personal preference. Obviously on newer cars you don't want 13 inch rims but I don't think that a 15 inch rim on a civic looks bad. However, too big of a rim looks terrible. Most 18s look way too big.

sl33pyriceboi 05-10-2012 04:59 PM

self blog promotion. lol

got2run5 05-10-2012 05:06 PM

Didn't even realize... :_disgust:

john65551 05-10-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by got2run5 (Post 4601559)
I agree with everything except the hubcaps to rims thing. I think it's personal preference. Obviously on newer cars you don't want 13 inch rims but I don't think that a 15 inch rim on a civic looks bad. However, too big of a rim looks terrible. Most 18s look way too big.

I agree too big of a rim looks bad, but I haven't found many newer luxury cars that don't have skinnier tires. The only ones I noticed in the past few years that do are the diesel Mercedes E class and Cadillac models. The newer Lexus sedans have mostly 17 inch plus rims.

I personally favor sedans so I haven't looked into rims on smaller cars much. I posted on this forum because there seemed to be a lot of people who modded their cars and I wanted their input on the article.

sdaidoji 05-10-2012 08:01 PM

unknown link from a unknown new member with 2 posts? yeah, right, do i look "tool" enough to click on that? nah!

mac25 05-11-2012 02:27 PM

^
1 like

MindBomber 05-11-2012 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In my opinion, the only dividing line between correctly and incorrectly modifying a car is in the quality of execution. Generally speaking, people consider a body kit, distinct custom paint colour and large wheels the trifecta of rice. Using a member of this forums vehicle as an example however, I can show that when attention to detail is given that style can be represented well, even if not in many peoples' taste. Appealing to the majority of peoples' taste is not the purpose of modifying however, the purpose is to build your ideal ride. I would much rather drive into a show in this epic Em2, than one of thousands of Ek9 replicas.

Attachment 95853

sl33pyriceboi 05-12-2012 02:37 AM

^clean rice..

as my mom always says: "wash rice good. more clean!"

pwnsauce 05-12-2012 05:04 AM

according to all my friends rice is "making your car look faster than what it is"

i really disagree with their definitions of rice to me rice is

-having stickers such as "APEXI" on the car with no real products from the brand
-ugly bodykits professionally painted OR grey primer or any other rattle can paint
-painted steelies (gold on subaru's :facepalm:)
-wings higher than OEM (unless its a car that pulls it off nicely)
-type r badges or any other non oem badge. turbo badges for none turbo porsche's or si badges for dx lx ex or anyother submodel unless it has a swapped si engine.
-ugly chrome altezza taillights (again unless it a car that could pull it off nicely)
-cut springs to lower
-red or blue painted brake drums.
-or anything that looks remotely like that cavalier in the article.

it also has a lot to do with the drivers personality i think. such as the guy thats in his seat all reclined back with his arm on top the wheel like a :2pimp: tryna race you at a light. even if your in a granny wagon or an astrovan.

(funniest thing to do is watch some rice punk take off from a light cuz he thinks u wanna race him and just sit at the light once it turns green. and even funnier if you know where a cop is sitting and you get him to race you right before the cop)

anyways as far as rims go i think 17 would be the limit on our civics. 18 is a little too much. i like 17s cuz they take up more wheel well room. plus they look real nice when lowered.

also i think all chrome rims look bad. the only cars i think should come factory with chrome rims are caddys, lexus', and buicks. everything else looks better with aluminum or steel rims.

i think most aftermarket parts actually look better than standard oem parts. such as door handles, mirrors, etc. but the giant metal park benches everyone puts on the trunk are rediculous.

im definetly with you on HIDs though.
no projectors = no HIDs

good article though man.

Worbit 05-12-2012 06:24 PM

Lets not forget ricer vocabulary. I would have to say the use of the word "rims" signifies a ricer. Secondly, the term "whip" drives me up a wall. it's a car....not some leather sex toy.

As far as looks go, I can't stand the whole sticker thing (as stated earlier in this thread) not to mention those fools who put an intercooler in their front grille on a non-boosted engine. Sadly the Mazda community has a bunch of people who love to through the Mazdaspeed badge on their regular protege or Mazda3/6 :( I also agree that 'altezza' lights are a staple when it comes to rice. The only car that can correctly pull this look off is the IS300. The fact that Ford has tried to pull this look off with the likes of their Five Hundered series shows that this style is now officially played out.