Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   I'm about to tear into Azumi.. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/341970-im-about-tear-into-azumi.html)

xRiCeBoYx 06-29-2011 04:00 PM

I'm about to tear into Azumi..

Hopefully, when I'm done, she'll be running happy again.

With all the shit I need to redo, I figure why not make a thread to track my plans and progress. Here's what I got planned:
  • First of all, I need to redo the headgasket job. The shop I took it to, I don't feel like they did their job very well.. At all.. Before I did the headgasket job myself, she was burning about 2 quarts of oil in 3500 miles. After the job, wasn't burning anything noticeable. Oil level was happy every time I got gas. Now, after hardly 2000 miles, I had to add 2 quarts of oil, and that put me just shy of the halfway point. Also, she seems to be running a bit rougher than when I finished the job. I think I'm gonna see if the shop will reimburse me for the parts I buy, and void the rest of my 1-year warranty. I do NOT want those guys touching my car again. I think what they did, after I bent my valves, was just swap the valves out, not bothering to check the condition of the valve guides or anything. That makes sense to me, and the guy at the machine shop I dropped my old head off to, also. I'm getting the new head machined, new valves, and when those come in, get the valve guides and seats reconditioned to sit happy with the new valves.
    -Parts: Honda OEM Head gasket kit, new valves, newly reconditioned head (in progress).
  • Also, with Austin's (MindBomber) thread about the stage 1 cam, and all the input, especially from Sandro, I got a bit jealous. Now I wanna drop one of those bitches in. With my I/H/E setup, I think it may yield some happy results. Also, I have an AEM F/IC laying around. I think I'll install that, just to see how much I can squeeze from the cam. While I'm dealing with electronics, I need to swap out my wiring harness, too. It's so messed up at the ECU connector due to a botched GReddy eManage install. I have the wire harness that came with the spare engine. Why the hell not, right?
    -Parts: Crower Stage 1 Cam, AEM F/IC, new engine wire harness
  • Now, with my recent rim mishap, I'm now rickin 3-17" rims and a 16". I managed to get the 16's tire diameter close to the rest, but it's still off by a quarter inch, making Azumi walk with a slight limp. I haven't found a shop that'll fix my rim, so I think I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy a new one. $200 shipped from thmotorsports? Sure, why not? Also, I've been wanting new tires all around, just to go back to my 215/45-17 size, and the rim mishap showed me that my front tires are about 1/32" above the wear bars. That, and I really liked the Nitto NeoGens when I had 'em, so I think I'll rock those again. Aaaaannnndddd.. My "shiny ball syndrome" took over and caused me to order some Drop Engineering blue tuner lugs. BLING BLING YO! lol
    -Parts: 1-Buddy Club P1 Racing SF rim, Drop Engineering Blue lug nuts, 215/45ZR17 Nitto NeoGen Tires
  • When I was swapping out my rim, I realized I need new brakes, too. 130K on original rotors? I think I'll swap 'em out, too. Dezod's economy brake package for $100-ish shipped will do. While I'm down in that area, I need to replace my tie rod ends, too. Last time I messed with my suspension, the tie rods refused to come out, even with the separator tool. I ended up bending that tool out of shape, ripping the boots in the process. After a bit of searching, I found out that OEM EP3 tie rod ends are the same exact part number as EM2's. Also, I found out KSport makes pillowball tie rods ends for the EP3. Ergo, KSport makes tie rod ends for the EM2. For $20 more than SouthBay Honda sells 'em for, why the hell not? Plus, South Bay's shipping might fill out the rest of the $20, and at thmotorsports, I can get 'em shipped for free, especially with how much shit I'm planning on buying from them.
    -Parts: c-tek OEM replacement rotors, c-tek metallic brake pads, KSport pillowball tie rod ends.
  • When I was on my first deployment, I left my car with my (older) sister. I trust her driving my car, and she didn't have a car of her own. I also had her and my step-dad get my tranny looked at, since it was acting funny. After taking it to my step-dad's mechanic, A new OEM clutch was installed, flywheel "resurfaced," and tranny overhauled.. ish.. 3 times.. My sister had to keep bringing it in to get fixed by the guy, and the last time she brought it in, she couldn't shift into 4th or 5th. What kinda tranny shop messes up that bad? Gah. Oh, and the reason "resurfaced" is in quotes is because I think the guy either a) didn't or b) did a shitty job. I get some REAALLLLYYY bad clutch chatter or something when I try and get my car going.. That is, unless I fry my clutch by revving up and feathering out the clutch. I had originally intended to get an Exedy stage 1 organic clutch again, but I don't need it with my lack of power. Also, I'm gonna see if my flywheel can be salvaged before buying a new one. I've also been looking into Syncrotech Transmissions. They have refurbished transmissions for Honda/Acura, and they arrange for pickup of your old one if you buy one of theirs. They can also do custom carbon synchros. $795 plus shipping for an effectively new transmission came out to $882.88 shipped to my house. I think I'll look into that for the future. It'll be cheaper than trying to rebuild my old tranny again.. I still owe my mom a little bit on the $1200 price tag that tranny overhaul ran her..
    -Parts: Exedy OEM replacement clutch, Resurfaced flywheel, (later on down the road) newly refurbished transmission.
  • Finally, with the mishap of the bent valves and the shitty job to follow, my cat isn't happy, and Azumi's crying because her kitty is sick (P0420 code thrown). My original Random Tech cat lasted years before electrical gremlins got to it and started misfiring like mad into the cat, this time is very similar. After the shitty job, my car intermittently runs richer than FUUUUUU and sends all sorts of shit into the cat. That's what my theory is, at least. My AFR gauge gets pegged at 10.0 every now and again, and I'm hoping all the stuff I wanna fix (engine, wire harness) will fix all that. I mean, when I finished the headgasket job the first time, she didn't have those problems.
    -Parts: Random Technology high flow cat, cat install kit
  • If I'm not completely broke after all this (or my pops fixes my car like he said he would), I'm gonna get the boo-boo on Azumi's passenger door fixed and my hood re-cleared, with the sides of the hood painted. A new bumper would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe getting all the paint chips fixed would be nice too, but again, not holding my breath..

Well, that's what I have planned. I'll take pictures along the way, give you guys status updates. I think once July hits, I'm gonna buy the head gasket kit, valves, and stage 1 cam. Brakes, too, perhaps. Those are kinda important. Just kinda.

Got bored and started color coordinating this shiz. Orange means I ordered it, Bold green means I have it in my possession, Bold Blue means Azumi's wearing it :D

BlueEM2 06-29-2011 04:05 PM

Re: I'm about to tear into Azumi..

Dude just make this a build thread and have fun with it... sorry you have to tear into it again but on the other hand I wish I had a reason to tear into my car ;) I'm itchin' to do something. Get er' running right.

xRiCeBoYx 06-29-2011 04:22 PM

yep, that's pretty much my intention with this thread, Tom. Reason why I'm about to drop hella money right now:

Discvoer Card: Josh, you haven't used your Discover card in over 24 months. If you activate this one and make a purchase in July 2011, We'll give you a 0% APR until July 30, 2012!

So, yup. Buy in July, pay off in a year, no interest. Winner.

MindBomber 06-29-2011 05:26 PM

It's nice to see how much everyone appreciates that stage 1 cam thread, I think it's turned out great with a lot of very useful information. Special thanks to Sandro and everyone else for their contributions, looking forward to seeing a review from you Josh.

I need to get new tie rods too, if the k-sports are that cheap I might try them out as well.

BlueEM2 06-29-2011 05:35 PM

I think some upgrades are in the future for me too.. :) But, that's the story of a different thread altogether... can't wait to see what you do here.

sl33pyriceboi 06-29-2011 06:02 PM

HPS pad give off a SH!T ton of brake dust...and if u dont clean them every week, you are going to have a nice powder-coat-like-brake-dust rims. brownish color.

if u get pads, go with the hawk HP ceramic pads. much less brake dust and stopping power the same as the HPS.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...cfeff6cbfd205b

sl33pyriceboi 06-29-2011 06:03 PM

and while ur at it J, get some stainless steel lines as well. night and day compared to the stock rubber lines... besides, its just about time to change out ur rubber lines anyways.

sdaidoji 06-29-2011 07:02 PM

Hella upcoming job, man!
get 3 cans of PB blaster and stuff :D
this time azumi will not try to dump you, then :D

Kennykid2002 06-29-2011 07:09 PM

Money Money Money
You are spending so much on your car...so much in fact I think you surpassed the value of your car

hahaha

Well, good luck on everything
& I agree with sleepy, don't get HPS, the brake dust on Hawks are stupid crazy.
Either get ceramic, or go with a different brand.

Pssst,
What about that blown TW5? No plans to replace/repair? :(

xRiCeBoYx 06-29-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4546258)
It's nice to see how much everyone appreciates that stage 1 cam thread, I think it's turned out great with a lot of very useful information. Special thanks to Sandro and everyone else for their contributions, looking forward to seeing a review from you Josh.

I need to get new tie rods too, if the k-sports are that cheap I might try them out as well.

I'm assuming the tie rod ends come in a set, just by the way they say "tie rod ends on thmotorsports.

http://thmotorsports.com/ksport/kspo.../i-235426.aspx

If that is the case, then $35 a piece at hondapartscheap vs the 98 (with free shipping since i'm gonna make sure I surpass the $100 mark) would make it worth it, I think.

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4546272)
and while ur at it J, get some stainless steel lines as well. night and day compared to the stock rubber lines... besides, its just about time to change out ur rubber lines anyways.

I've been running stainless lines front and back for a while now. 2004, I think, is when I installed 'em. I did that when I did the rear disc conversion. Thanks for the heads up on the HPS pads, too. I do have gunmetal rims, so it hides brake dust nicely. I can't tell until I run my finger across it. That's kinda weird though because they claim low dust.. :shrug:

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002 (Post 4546290)
Money Money Money
You are spending so much on your car...so much in fact I think you surpassed the value of your car

hahaha

Well, good luck on everything
& I agree with sleepy, don't get HPS, the brake dust on Hawks are stupid crazy.
Either get ceramic, or go with a different brand.

Pssst,
What about that blown TW5? No plans to replace/repair? :(

Dude, I know I've surpassed the value of my car. :lol:
I don't care though. It's my car, and I plan on running her into the ground. As for the TW5, I've tuned my system to accommodate the lack of a sub. Sounds good, just minus the punch the sub gives. I'm content with the way it sounds, so replacing the tw5 is kinda low on the list of things to do.

BlueEM2 06-29-2011 07:48 PM

Your not really running it into the ground when you are mantaining the FUKK out of it. :) Should last fooorever

sdaidoji 06-29-2011 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4546299)
Thanks for the heads up on the HPS pads, too. I do have gunmetal rims, so it hides brake dust nicely. I can't tell until I run my finger across it. That's kinda weird though because they claim low dust.. :shrug:

they are lower dust than the racing ones.
on separate note, i had gunmetal wheels in front and silver in the rear until i cleaned the fronts, then they were silver/silver :D

Here's one mid-way to gun metal fronts...
Attachment 100283

Kennykid2002 06-29-2011 09:09 PM

Bleh, I can't survive a day in a car without subs haha...
Well, if you don't plan on getting a new one, you can always sell your amp for a nice wad of cash to support your plans :)

Shift-E 06-29-2011 09:12 PM

You have a big job ahead of you man. Mad respect for that!

maxtierney 06-29-2011 10:54 PM

Can't wait to see the progress. Hope it all comes together without too many hitches.

xRiCeBoYx 06-29-2011 11:34 PM

I texted my buddy out in San Diego that has his own little mobile automotive repair business. He said he'd be down to help me out. When I told him my plans, his reaction before I even asked for help was, "Cool, so when we puttin that shit in?"

haha.. I'm overdue for a San Diego visit, anyways.

iSharix 06-29-2011 11:46 PM

Too long, didn't read .. I had to deal with you blabbing about this stuff way before you posted this up .. :P

Sooooo with all these going into the car ... whens the lambo doors going back in ? :P

Kennykid2002 06-30-2011 12:34 AM

Shari, he's upgrading, no more lambo doors.

He's getting shaved suicide doors ;)

iSharix 06-30-2011 12:41 AM

Hehehehe, trueee say Kenny .. Maybe he'll replace his current spoiler with an even bigger one too :3 and get rid of his Buddy Clubs for some sexy 20inch chrome rims xD

xRiCeBoYx 06-30-2011 12:46 AM

nah, y'all got it wrong. I'm stepping up to gullwing doors and 26" Lexani's.

Kennykid2002 06-30-2011 12:49 AM

I expect them gold plated Josh

xRiCeBoYx 06-30-2011 12:54 AM

Nah, not much of a gold person. THAT SHIT'S GONNA BE PLATINUM YO!

BlueEM2 06-30-2011 09:01 AM

Platinum? but only 26"? If your gonna go with platinum rims on a civic you gotta rock at least the 29s.. just sayin... Wish I could come down and help you haha.... Why do these damn continents have to be so damn big.

iSharix 06-30-2011 09:05 AM

:damn:
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG , DO ITTTTTTT AND BRING ME WITH YOUUUUU !!!!!! :D

:lol:

Kennykid2002 06-30-2011 09:17 AM

lol @ shari

Pssst. Josh
The T3i's are on sale at BB

I guess your platinum rims will have to wait ;)

xRiCeBoYx 06-30-2011 10:47 AM

they been on sale, Kenny.. Plus, I get 10 and 12% off coupons in the mail all the time. I'm not worries about it

Kennykid2002 06-30-2011 10:52 AM

I know, just reminding you ;)

BlueEM2 06-30-2011 11:02 AM

If I didn't have two kids Shari I would make the drive out there :)

sl33pyriceboi 06-30-2011 01:59 PM

wtf? u have kids tbohar?!

like the ones with feet and a mouths? that run around screaming?!

BlueEM2 06-30-2011 03:25 PM

Yep and they are real kids too. Not the kind you buy at walmart for 12.99.