Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Shift-E's Whip Yo! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/341378-shift-es-whip-yo.html)

Shift-E 06-03-2011 10:07 PM

Shift-E's Whip Yo!

11 Attachment(s)
So I have been advised to do build thread. I guess it'll be more of a Car history thread since I don't know how much "building" i'll be doing to the thing lol. My own little car diary lol.

MY CAR

2001 Honda Civic Automatic LX coupe (Canadian) Eternal Blue Pearl

Purchased the car at 283000km at a junkyard. I had originally went with my mechanic to find some used winter tires for my previous car (98 Saturn SL2). I found the civic there for sale. It turned on and seemed to not have any mechanical problems. Only issues were that it had the front bumper broken, rusted hood, and a cracked windshield. Put a down payment on it right then and there. That was November and gave it to my mechanic straight from the junkyard. I have been driving it since late December of 2010
293500 km as of June 3, 2011 with no issues (Except some tranny slipping, but that's normal on our civics lol.)

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR
- New Hood/FrontBumper/Windshield after I bought it
- AEM Short Ram intake with Dryflow filter
- civicforums White w/ blue outline Decal :D
- Morimoto Mini retrofit (with defective LED strips :( )

WHAT I'M DOING SOON (I HOPE)

- Have a photo shoot with DarkSouljur once are cars are ready lol
- Purchase metra dashkit for top half only (to keep the pocket) and wiring harness
- Install my Pioneer DEH-P3100UB deck
- Install my Pioneer TS-A6961R 6x9 speakers (picked up for $50 online)

Everything I do I want to be able to reverse and take off easily, since the car is pretty high milage with no idea how well it was maintained before I got it. I want to be able to either sell or install on my next car if i decide to buy a 7th gen again, but hopefully this car lasts me at least 2-3 years with no issues.

Attached are some pics of my car The day I got it. Some pics of my headlights before and after toothpaste cleaning. and During my retrofit install. :)

sl33pyriceboi 06-03-2011 10:22 PM

Re: Shift-E's Whip Yo!

Mad CDM yo!

Shift-E 06-03-2011 10:33 PM

Lol I just realised if you look at the head on pic of the car originally, it looks like it's crying. Sad that I wasn't in it's life yet! And I actually picked the car up for $1050. Was able to bargain down the price ;)

Shift-E 06-03-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4541834)
Mad CDM yo!

CDM or go home yo!

sl33pyriceboi 06-03-2011 10:37 PM

It's all about RDM tho....yo

Shift-E 06-03-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4541839)
it's all about rdm tho....yo

rdm?

lowlife9 06-04-2011 01:31 AM

holy hood wtf did the last owner do to it ???

BlueEM2 06-04-2011 02:25 AM

My hood is going to be like that soon... Rock Chips + Salt = That. I even use touch up paint its still starting to rust :( Also, What an improvement man, your car looks great.

MindBomber 06-04-2011 02:30 AM

Making this thread earned you some rep man, your in the green now.

Looking forward to seeing a few more new build threads guys ;)

Shift-E 06-04-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 4541863)
holy hood wtf did the last owner do to it ???

I'm not sure. It was donated to the junkyard through someone, so they had no info on it. I'm guessing it was an accident car because the two headlights were not oem (didn't say honda) and I was told that a lot of aftermarket hoods tend to rust up easier then factory hoods. I'm not sure how true that is, but it sounds like it could be right.

It drives great though, so if it was an accident car I think it was all cosmetic.

Shift-E 06-04-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by tbohar (Post 4541870)
My hood is going to be like that soon... Rock Chips + Salt = That. I even use touch up paint its still starting to rust :( Also, What an improvement man, your car looks great.

Thanks man. The hood is all nice now, but you know what Canadian winters can do to cars with all that salt on the road. I'm hoping it lasts though, if I take car of it.

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4541871)
Making this thread earned you some rep man, your in the green now.

Looking forward to seeing a few more new build threads guys ;)

Woot! Rep! haha, Feels good :) Thanks everyone :D I'm loving this thread already haha

sl33pyriceboi 06-04-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shift-E (Post 4541841)
rdm?

Ricer domestic market

Lolllllllll

iSharix 06-04-2011 12:30 PM

I rikeee :D

sdaidoji 06-04-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4541900)
Ricer domestic market

Lolllllllll

bwaaahahahaha! I was wondering what that was!

Shift-E 06-04-2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4541900)
Ricer domestic market

Lolllllllll

LOL I was thinking Russian Domestic Market, but that made even less sense to me ahaha.

sl33pyriceboi 06-04-2011 02:45 PM

IS THAT AN LED STRIP ON UR HEADLIGHTS?!???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i demand to see a pix of it lit up!!!

RDM YO!

Shift-E 06-04-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4541932)
IS THAT AN LED STRIP ON UR HEADLIGHTS?!???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i demand to see a pix of it lit up!!!

RDM YO!

Yes that is an LED strip. But they don't work yet.. The quickconnects are retarded lol. I gotta take my bumper off again then im gonna twist cap them to my parking lights. Just waiting for a good day to lol. I didn't want to bring attention to them till i had them fixed! lol

Good eyes :P

sl33pyriceboi 06-04-2011 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
those led strips look like they are polar sensitive. make sure the + and - are connected right.

Originally Posted by Shift-E (Post 4541933)

Good eyes :P

haha. you're also missing an intake filter. lol

i know you're going to put one of these on. dont lie to us :giggle:

Attachment 100773

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHORT...#ht_5806wt_941

air x15 yo!

Shift-E 06-04-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4541942)
those led strips look like they are polar sensitive. make sure the + and - are connected right.

haha. you're also missing an intake filter. lol

i know you're going to put one of these on. dont lie to us :giggle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHORT...#ht_5806wt_941

air x15 yo!

The LEDs have some sort of speaker wire on them, the type that doesnt have a pos or neg colouring. I'll make sure to test them both ways to make sure if theyre polarized

and ACTUALLY, I have a dryflow :P just took it off for more space so I could run the relay harness wiring. Damn those eyes of yours, STOP PICKING MY CAR APART aahaha. I wouldn't be dumb enough to drive without a filter lol

What the hell is that ahah. Do they actually do anything, or are they just targeted at ricers promising them its fudge when it's actually shit?

xRiCeBoYx 06-04-2011 04:36 PM

In case you need the part number for the dash kit that lets you keep the pocket, it's Metra 99-7897

Shift-E 06-04-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4541948)
In case you need the part number for the dash kit that lets you keep the pocket, it's Metra 99-7897

Thanks Riceboy. Has anyone on this site used it? If so do you know if they liked it or not? some people apparently had install problems, at leasts thats what i read online

xRiCeBoYx 06-04-2011 04:58 PM

I'm using one in my car. I did have to modify it a bit to fit the way I wanted it to. It's been quite a while, so I can't quite recall what I did, exactly. I also drilled new holes in the radio bracket to have it sit a little further forward. Without doing that, I couldn't get the half-face plate part of my head unit out. Overall though, I'm fairly pleased with it.

I like being able to have the flip-door pocket.

Shift-E 06-04-2011 07:25 PM

Well I'm PISSED OFF. After like an hour of work removing my bumper and playing with the wiring I find out the LED strips I got from TRS are defective. Only 6 or so light up on one side, and 3 on the other. I tried to snap some pics to show you guys but there was too much glare on the headlights from natural lighting. I'll try and get something for you guys tonight. I wouldnt be so pissed if they didn't look so good! >.< They really would have been a nice touch, but now they just sit there mocking me...

I'm gonna need to talk to TRS about this. Hopefully they can compensate me in some way!

DarkSouljur 06-05-2011 09:30 PM

Forgot what it looked like when you first got it xD

Shift-E 06-05-2011 10:00 PM

^^ When I first popped the hood, I could literally feel the front of the hood bending in my hands.

Shift-E 06-06-2011 10:08 PM

So I aimed my headlights today! Also got some pics of my LED strips.

I screwed something up with my right headlight though, it wobbles around way too much now and likes to point a bit higher. I think I loosened it too much. Its not bad where it will interfere with other drivers, and the right side isn't oncoming traffic so it's not a problem if it's a bit higher.

Driving now is way different then I thought it would be. Before I could see the cutoff line like all the time while driving. Now I don't. The highest the light will reach when driving directly behind someone is roughly the height of the license plate.

I did some tests with DarkSouljur where I drove close behing him, far behind him, and towards him. He said that the lights didn't bug him what so ever and basically looked like a white halogen. So mission accomplished.

Got an email back from TRS. They said they'll ship me new LED strips for free. I don't know if I'll be retroing anytime soon so I don't know if I'll take them. I asked if there was anything else they could do instead of new strips, if not then I'll just keep them aside for maybe a future retro or something else.

WILL UPLOAD PICTURES SOON!!

Shift-E 06-06-2011 11:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tada, pics.

Having upload problems so I'll upload more after. This is before and after aiming

Shift-E 06-07-2011 10:03 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Moar Pix :)

LEDs on at night and during the evening. They don't look good, let alone visible, during the day but as soon as the sun starts going down they look great. If only the were all working >.<

xRiCeBoYx 06-07-2011 10:12 PM

personally not feeling the LED strips, but if you like 'em, then by all means :tup:

Shift-E 06-07-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4542516)
personally not feeling the LED strips, but if you like 'em, then by all means :tup:

Lol the pictures don't do them justice, but I know they're not everyone's preference. I wanted to add a little more personalizing instead of just projectors in stock housing since so many people do only that.