Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   My first Car... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/331771-my-first-car.html)

AlaskaCivic 09-07-2010 09:54 PM

My first Car...

Hey everyone, im a new kid, here in Anchorage, Alaska. I recently bought a 93' Honda Civic EX :sweet:
Well, It was 600 dollars, 140k miles, and the previous owner was a ricer and had all these graphics and big spoilers on it, and when i opened the hood, i was... disgusted... Dirty as hell, stock to the bone- since 1993. I asked him if he did any upkeep and he said no. Not even oil changes, or air filter changes? -No. wow. There was a nice audio system, and it ran, so i bought it, hearing that civics are very reliable and had great MPG.
So i drive it home, and replaced the 15 year old battery, replaced the radiator gasket, dizzy head, spark plugs, and changed the oil/ oil filter, transmission flush, and put it some other fluids. In that instance- engine started, and sounded, and performed- better.
I ripped off all those damn stupid decals, and stickers of parts that the guy didnt even have, sold the spoiler, and brushed the car another red coat to make up the torn decal spots. Did some engine enamal painting too...
I put in a CAI by Spectre, and im wondering what to do next...
Anyhow:rockon: any suggestions, help?
I'll post pictures in the near future... Its not letting me upload...

MindBomber 09-07-2010 10:06 PM

Re: My first Car...

Congrats, thats an awesome body style!

Props for the de-ricing. Hard to make suggestions without pics, but wheels and a drop are always a must! Also, I'd consider swapping your CAI for a ram air one; seeing that your in Alaska, I'd be worried about sucking water up through a CAI.

02civicsi02 09-07-2010 10:13 PM

Welcome and good job on cleaning it up and doing everything that needed to be done. Some of my family live in Juneau Alaska and its beautiful up there. I live all the way in NC so its far away from there. I like to travel and I drove my old EG up there. But it was a very good experience. Get those pics up as soon as you can.

MelJ 09-08-2010 07:21 AM

Good job on taking another ricer Civic off the road and bringing it back to normal:lol:. Seems like you've covered most of the fluids. How about brakes? Timing belt/Drive belts/Water pump? I'd also check the suspension. If it's a manual, did you check the clutch fluid? I bled mine even though it was working fine. The fluid was just dirty and figured it wouldn't hurt to do it. Did you get new spark plug wires as well? changing the PCV valve wouldn't hurt either. I know in my car it's a pain in the ass because it's located behind the valve cover and in between some stuff. It seriously took me 10 minutes to change it:roflmao:.

20_CiViC_02 09-08-2010 09:23 AM

You got balls to buy a car in that rough of shape. I woulda just passed on it, but considering it was only $600, that gives you a lot of extra money to spend on building it up.

Have fun and we'd like to see some pictures :)

Steven21 09-19-2010 07:19 PM

Props to you dude way too many ricers out there if you really want a sweet car (and this is just what i think) keep the exterior and interior as stock as possible except maybe a head unit and what not but put a sick engine in it and make it a respectable car. once again major props

J-K 09-19-2010 08:23 PM

At 140k miles don't forget about the timing belt. You don't want your engine to blow up!

Si Dean 09-19-2010 08:34 PM

welcome

sam68 09-19-2010 08:44 PM

I'm going to thank you for saving that civic from the previous owner since your civic cant thank you verbally. And welcome to the site.

mac25 09-20-2010 02:50 AM

it'd be interesting if you converted the cai to short ram but made it so the cold air length could be reattached for sumer. i duno food for thought.

Mad Dog Tannen 09-20-2010 03:05 AM

Welcome. Good job de-ricing, I had to do some of that when I bought mine. Timing belt and brakes would be my highest priorities. I don't think I would lower it in Alaska. I agree that CAI has to go.
My car had a fresh engine in it when I bought it cause he cold air intake had sucked up some water and hydro-locked the engine. Then the same thing happened right after I bought it but luckily it just blew the head gasket. I cut that crap off and put it back under the hood where it belongs!
Post up some pics brah!