Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   The new CarPC setup (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/317983-new-carpc-setup.html)

justinwebb 05-19-2009 05:06 PM

The new CarPC setup

15 Attachment(s)
So I in the process of building a new car pc for the honda It will be similar to my last build, but a few better parts.
The specs of this build:
Motheboard : Zotac 9300 1333 FSB Geforce 9300 onboard video, up to 8 GB DDR2 800 ram 12 USB ports. onbaord WIFI, and SATA

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHZ

RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800

Soon to come a Western Digital 1TB HDD, a new power supply and some other stuff.

On to the pics

All the stuff so far
Attachment 110049

Mobo out of the box
Attachment 110050

Attachment 110051

Attachment 110052

RAM installed
Attachment 110053

Attachment 110054

CPU install
Attachment 110055

Attachment 110056

Attachment 110057

Put the whole thing on the case bottom its going in which is a gutted cd changer to keep the stock look in the trunk
Attachment 110058

working on attaching a fan to the northbridge/graphics chip as it gets really hot without one, might have enough room for two as i dont want it to burn up
Attachment 110059

CD changer top on still need to install the hard drive and power supply once i get them but this is what it will look like
Attachment 110060

Attachment 110061
One intake fan near the processor and an exhaust fan on the other side

Attachment 110062

YAY it turns on
Attachment 110063

should give you an idea how its built :)

mdawg 05-19-2009 05:19 PM

Re: The new CarPC setup

What screen you gonna get?
& I'm gonna assume like a M4-ATX PS?

I am actually right now building my case for my carpc as well lol(New one, the one in my sig was my last car)

justinwebb 05-19-2009 05:27 PM

this is my 4th in my car and have built a total of 23 so far haha

The M4 is junk i have always used Opus and will continue to do so, going with the 250 watt or 360 watt

I have a lilliput in my car from my last build. Been doing this for years haha

TemjinX2 05-19-2009 07:10 PM

yeah i have 150watt opus in mine for the last 3yrs...still going. why do you need such a powerful pc for the car? You gonna be gaming in the car or something?>

justinwebb 05-19-2009 07:15 PM

had a VIA E15000G it was a 1.5 ghz and it just couldnt keep up with what i had running. It would be sort of laggy in centrafuse and studder while watching HD movies and videos lol so i figured why not might as well go all out and have close to as fast as i can get in a car without to much heat. Also, for bragging rights haha

TemjinX2 05-19-2009 07:24 PM

you should've went with a laptop intel cpu. my centrino 1.4ghz only puts out 15watts of power.

justinwebb 05-19-2009 07:31 PM

meh not big enough haha plus out of all my friends that have a car pc none are this fast so we are curious how well it will work

sl33pyriceboi 05-19-2009 07:46 PM

man thats one powerful carputer.

if deffinatly watercool mine if i had one like urs...

but my 2.0ghz jetway is good enough =]

justinwebb 05-19-2009 07:50 PM

watercooling wouldnt work with a PC in the trunk i would have to run lines outside of the trunk in order to get cooler air and by running the lines that far you kill the usefulness of the watercooling. It will air cool just fine, and worst comes to worst i just underclock it till i can get more ventilation going

whitealexander 05-19-2009 08:50 PM

its a nice set-up imo.. http://******************/images/e98...c9f0b6b6f1.gif

Retell 05-19-2009 08:55 PM

When I get a new laptop, I am planning on retrofitting my 2.24 C2D, 2gb ddr2, 9600gt Laptop for my computer :P

justinwebb 05-20-2009 11:13 AM

thanks for all the comments guys ill post up more pics here soon once i get everything set up

DeX 05-20-2009 11:50 AM

Looks like a complete waste, check your processor/RAM usage once you get it set up and I doubt you'll be using more than half. You're going to be losing all that power to heat, I'd spend the extra money on shielded audio wires, better monitor and a solid state drive.

Retell 05-20-2009 12:46 PM

SSD is a must!

sl33pyriceboi 05-20-2009 02:18 PM

^no it isnt. they hav not really perfected the technology and it isnt mainstream yet so unless u have some major $$$ to blow, its not practical

justinwebb 05-20-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeX (Post 4414385)
Looks like a complete waste, check your processor/RAM usage once you get it set up and I doubt you'll be using more than half. You're going to be losing all that power to heat, I'd spend the extra money on shielded audio wires, better monitor and a solid state drive.

not really centrafuse 3 is coming out soon and ill be more of a resource hog then the current version and as car pc's get more and more popualr more things will be coming out, so i am just planning for the future. I have a nice monitor and nice cables. Not fond of the SSD right now ill give it a while to come down in price for larger sizes.

DeX 05-20-2009 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by justinwebb (Post 4414410)
not really centrafuse 3 is coming out soon and ill be more of a resource hog then the current version and as car pc's get more and more popualr more things will be coming out, so i am just planning for the future. I have a nice monitor and nice cables. Not fond of the SSD right now ill give it a while to come down in price for larger sizes.

sunlight readable > your monitor
shielded > your cables

Whatever you want to spend your money on is fine with me, I find it amusing.

gearbox 05-20-2009 03:52 PM

looks like a good setup man. stay away from ssd for now.

justinwebb 05-20-2009 04:03 PM

i do have shielded cables so im not sure what you are talking about. Cut the better than me crap cause i dont care what you have or dont have.

04CivicLX 05-20-2009 04:26 PM

I'm going to second Dexx on this, your setup is way overkill and a waste of money. If you want to throw away money you are much better served to get a tranflective screen over a dual core proc and 4 gigs of memory. My 1.8 single-core turion and 1 gig of memory with integrated geforce 6600 graphics are more than necessary for a carpc.

Are planning on putting three screens in the car, and have each person playing a seperate game of crisis?

Liliput are good screen at night time, but during the daytime they suck balls. Why in the hell would you need 1tb of storage in a carpc. I could see a 250-500 if you want a ton of movies. But otherwise you are going to only use a small portion.

Better you waste your money, than me. If it floats your boat go ahead and throw your money away. I would expect someone who has been doing this for years, to understand the computing requirements of a carpc.

justinwebb 05-20-2009 07:47 PM

I dont really have a problem as at the shop right now im making around 1000 a week so money is no issue, plus i wanted to build something that no body has really done before. I can see my screen just fine during the day as my windows are tinted to 20% so there is almost no glare at all.

also i have about 40,000 mp3's and 4,000 music videos so i have quite a bit of stuff

gearbox 05-20-2009 08:05 PM

maybe he doesnt want an obsolete setup in a few years that he has to rebuild, or he wants to expand the setup to do more later.

Retell 05-20-2009 09:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with dumping money into what will be a pretty bitchin setup! Gear is right, this setup will definitely give you a good 10 years.

TemjinX2 05-20-2009 10:12 PM

i see both sides of the argument. Some of his specs are overkill but guess what, there werent very expensive at all to purchase. A 1tb goes for $99 and 4gigs goes for $80 now.

I'm sure if everyone was respecing there car computers it would be similar to his. If i had to redo it again, i would've just bought a lilput screen and a netbook and called it a day.

gearbox 05-21-2009 01:24 AM

yeah really. i cant believe how cheap stuff became. i paid $3k for my PII computer at the time lol. still using it too. my 30 gig hd cost several hundred and just a few yrs ago i got external 100gb for $100. now you can get them for much less. heck you could pick up one of those mini notebooks for $300 and thats quick enough to act like a carpc if you dont want any fancy installs. and most have 100+gigs already.

Retell 05-21-2009 01:28 AM

You can get one with an air card for only $50 from Radioshack. Then you have interwebz everywhere you drive!

TemjinX2 05-21-2009 01:31 AM

yeah its cheaper just to buy a 1tb hdd and store it on a shelf then to burn dvds as back ups now. its a commodity now. Just like cars, its just cheaper to buy a better car then to mod it to be fast.

Retell 05-21-2009 01:50 AM

Nice analogy!

ragingSPAM 05-21-2009 03:51 AM

nice setup...however one thing i wanted to add, being a computer tech, i wanted to say your bed is not the best place to be assembling a computer...i recommend at least a hard wood desk or if you have it a rubber mat which is grounded with a wrist strap because you can cause damage to the logic board/processors and any other component just by touching them ungrounded....also i recommend going with a smaller HDD...1tb drives dont have a reputation of lasting too long and that being in a car will probably kill the drive twice as fast...SSD or a 320-500gb 2.5" drive would be optimal for your use.

i also have mike's (temjin) old carputer dash kit which uses a lilliput screen and is recessed and perfect for daytime use...im too lazy to put a carputer in my dc5

civcspool 05-21-2009 06:53 AM

I hope your PSU is enough to power all your stuff... did u compute the power ? had the same problem before..
and make sure you power screen through regulated PSU

DeX 05-21-2009 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by justinwebb (Post 4414439)
I dont really have a problem as at the shop right now im making around 1000 a week so money is no issue

So why the el cheapo Lilliput? :shrug:

justinwebb 05-21-2009 11:03 AM

i have had mine for 3 years so far and havent had a problem so im not sure of your definition of cheap

why buy a shitty 7th gen?

edrulz2003 05-21-2009 12:20 PM

just curious how much u paid for u that set up..

DeX 05-21-2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by justinwebb (Post 4414544)
why buy a shitty 7th gen?

Careful. I'll take my toys and go home.

mdawg 05-21-2009 05:58 PM

Are you going to be using RR or Centrafuse? I have elite lite skin on RR right now, it was easy to get working and thats what I wanted right now. His elite 2 skin looks to be really good whenever he decides to release it.

TemjinX2 05-21-2009 06:04 PM

this is how i had my lilput mounted in my 7th gen, so it worked just as well in the day time as well as night. i just got too lazy to extend the lower buttons though.

https://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5641/comp3bv8.jpg

justinwebb 05-21-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by mdawg (Post 4414602)
Are you going to be using RR or Centrafuse? I have elite lite skin on RR right now, it was easy to get working and thats what I wanted right now. His elite 2 skin looks to be really good whenever he decides to release it.

i use centrafuse i just couldnt get into RR i dunno why but centrafuse is so much cleaner and organized and easy to use.

mdawg 05-21-2009 06:24 PM

In my case I could spend a little time figuring it out because it was free haha. I hear you tho, I've spent a lot of time trying to get RR configured right.

justinwebb 05-21-2009 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by mdawg (Post 4414617)
In my case I could spend a little time figuring it out because it was free haha. I hear you tho, I've spent a lot of time trying to get RR configured right.

haha it was expensive when i bought it and now they have some half off sle i was like WTF great, but i will get a discounted price for upgrading to centrafuse 3. I also used frodoplayer for a bit but it was a dead front end that wasnt updated anymore it was ok just didnt work well for what i needed

mdawg 05-21-2009 09:46 PM

Well I like the idea of being able to use things like Fusionbrain. Plugins are great for it so all it takes is a little time and it can do some great things.

justinwebb 07-07-2009 08:19 PM

8 Attachment(s)
just out of sheer boreom i figured i would post up some new pics of the build.

Got a new heatsink and fan and it should cool much better then the stock one did haha
Attachment 109179
Attachment 109180
Attachment 109181
Attachment 109182

figured it will get quite hot in the car so figured it needed upgraded. rather not burn up the processor and seeing as how this is the fastest build i have seen done in a car pc application might as well do it right :P

got a different case for it instead of teh cd changer idea i went with a micro atx case which i will be hiding up front, its a little smaller then a shoebox i was just worried abut temps in the trunk and it will e less wires i have in the car with it up front. Still need to put in the hard drive and such but its a start
Attachment 109183
Attachment 109184
Attachment 109185
Attachment 109186

i am making it removable also so if i want to take it inside and game with it (yes it runs games well i play GTA IV and crysis on it lol)

its an al black case i just have the top cover removed

pacotaco 07-07-2009 10:47 PM

see what im doing is not the carputer but just bought my self an asus aspire mini net and i just have hook up ports for it next im going to do and infered camera on the front with ir led strip so i have night vision

justinwebb 08-09-2009 06:55 PM

12 Attachment(s)
got a few new things in for the car pc so figured i would update as i am bored on a sunday with nothing to do lol.

First off got a 9800 GT 1 GB graphics card for it since it will be removable and can be brought inside and used as a gaming PC. It wont stay in all the time just when i have it inside for gaming and such to keep down on heat and power consumption when in the car lol. Got a new screen cause mine seems to have quit working, 3 years wasnt bad for the last one. I might try to get it working again its just the touch part isnt working. Got a new WIFI adapter that runs everything including N and has little antenna things lol. Got a new OBD tool one that supports updating the firmware so it will be more useful. Got a new Sirius kit and PC adapter for better satellite radio. And lastly i finally got my tiny keyboard that is wireless and the size of a cell phone. Its the greatest thing ever lol, best thing for a car pc.

working on sanding down the bezel for the screen a little bit it has a few marks in it and such and figured i would repaint it while the screen was out.

Attachment 108525
Attachment 108526
Attachment 108527
Attachment 108528

The new stuffs
Attachment 108529
Attachment 108530
Attachment 108531
Attachment 108532
Attachment 108533

the bezel getting ready to be sanded down again lol
Attachment 108534

anyone want a screen lol
Attachment 108535
Attachment 108536

mdawg 08-10-2009 01:49 AM

I've started skinning myself with RR, I've worked all my bugs out and I am very pleased I didn't choose Centrafuse because now I have everything setup and looking the way I want it. I also ended up getting a new screen its the Lilliput 701 Model...I assume If you got a new screen you got the same thing?

I have a 1.8ghz P4 with a 30gb hd and the 120wat dc-dc m2-atx ps....yeah I need to update the crap in my sig and show you some pics as well whenever Im not so lazy to walk to my car and take em.

Also wtf is with the video card? You dont need that in a carpc lol

justinwebb 08-10-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mdawg (Post 4429805)
I've started skinning myself with RR, I've worked all my bugs out and I am very pleased I didn't choose Centrafuse because now I have everything setup and looking the way I want it. I also ended up getting a new screen its the Lilliput 701 Model...I assume If you got a new screen you got the same thing?

I have a 1.8ghz P4 with a 30gb hd and the 120wat dc-dc m2-atx ps....yeah I need to update the crap in my sig and show you some pics as well whenever Im not so lazy to walk to my car and take em.

Also wtf is with the video card? You dont need that in a carpc lol

yea its the same model i had before it worked well for a long time, just didnt feel like dropping the extra cash on a sunlight readable just because i never have any problems with the sun anyways haha its in a perfect spot where i can always see it, even when its bright outside.

The video card is just for when i bring it inside to use it as a gaming pc, it doesn't stay in the pc when its in the car. Its great to be able to just remove the wires then bring it inside and do some gaming lol. One of the reasons why i built it the way i did for multiple uses not just a car pc ;)

justinwebb 03-07-2010 08:44 AM

6 Attachment(s)
got bored over the winter and redid the screen a little better had a hairline crack that bothered me. Also, got a new screen for the heck of it and redid how the back board attached to the bezel its self in the back. Used a piece of plexi to attach it cracked it in a few places but it does the job better then I had it last time

Attachment 106603
Attachment 106604
Attachment 106605
Attachment 106606
Attachment 106607
Attachment 106608

gearbox 03-07-2010 11:08 AM

coming along nicely