Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Blowin' fuses!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/306675-blowin-fuses.html)

CivicFreak03 04-15-2008 09:43 PM

Blowin' fuses!!!

I bought a set of aftermarket tails that are meant for a '04-'05. I keep blowing the warning hazard and turn signal fuses when I turn them on. I have an '02 and it looks like the hot wire may be backwards (stock harness vs. aftermarket taillight). Any ideas? They are the LED tails (red white red).

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/774...9080801qz5.jpg

If anyone has these tails installed on an '01-'03 coupe please fill me in on how you installed them...Thanks ahead!!

yingjai 04-16-2008 02:39 AM

Re: Blowin' fuses!!!

dont the plugs have grooves in them to prevent you from plugging it the wrong way?

CivicFreak03 04-16-2008 09:32 AM

Well on the stock bulb there is only two metal contacts (one on either side)...the harness that comes with the taillights has 4 (two on either side).....

Unevolved 04-16-2008 09:44 AM

I think your basic problem is the taillights themselves. The car's rejecting them. It's the same thing that happens with organ transplants, really. Sometimes the host just refuses the parts. Could be because it realizes these are going to get it laughed at. Cars can be pretty smart sometimes.

DsevenEm2 04-16-2008 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Unevolved (Post 4308081)
I think your basic problem is the taillights themselves. The car's rejecting them. It's the same thing that happens with organ transplants, really. Sometimes the host just refuses the parts. Could be because it realizes these are going to get it laughed at. Cars can be pretty smart sometimes.

nice try at being funny but im sure he'd rather have an intelligent response about a problem he has.. not your unwanted opinion. :tdown:

First try and flip the way your connection is going, if nothing happens then you know its the other way around.

The most common first step is installing a bigger fuse.. but that will most likely blow as well.

Instead you should try and find a Test Light. You can rent them for free at Advance Auto Parts I think.. or just buy one for $14. Itll be one wire for a ground and the light with a needle shaped prong on the end. Connect that in place of the fuse. And it will light when your brake lights are applied. Then start unplugging wires for the tailights. When the light goes out.. you'll know which wire is bad, grounded, or not big enough (gauge).

Hopefully that helps in some way.

CivicFreak03 04-16-2008 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2 (Post 4308092)
nice try at being funny but im sure he'd rather have an intelligent response about a problem he has.. not your unwanted opinion. :tdown:

:rockon:
This is true. I respect you taking up for me because this is def not a opinion thread at all. I want these tails on the whip.

I will have to try that. I looked inside the plug attached to the cars harness to look at how it was making contact. I think to much metal is touching inside the plug (between the harness and bulb harness). It was funny though as I was hooking them up and install the passenger side, tested it and it worked just fine. Got the driver's side installed and thats what caused the problem. I thought maybe it was the driver's side light was just the problem. I replaced the fuse and hooked one factory and one aftermarket as I had before and then passenger side never did work again.

Anyone with an '04 - '05 coupe could do me a favor and pull your signal bulb in your tails and see how many contacts its has. If it has four then this is def the problem.

Unevolved 04-16-2008 12:54 PM

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

On the subject of a test light, though, If you're reasonably competent with basic electrical stuff, you could make one on your own out of scrap. All you need is a 12V bulb or LED, some wire, and two nails. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to figure out the assembly method.

And from looking at some parts schematics and just what I remember, I think the signal bulbs are dual-filament (at least I think that's the term). That's how they have two brightness settings, at least.

CivicFreak03 04-16-2008 01:17 PM

They are dual filament. On the signal light harness of the aftermarket tails there a 4 metal contacts. Inside the plug there are only three...I figure in the '04-'05 harness there are 4 contacts.

mneuls 04-16-2008 01:22 PM

you might have to put a resistor in line with the new lights. maybe measure the resistance of both and try to get a resistor that makes the new taillights close to the same resistance as the old ones. I'm not sure if this will work, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

FYI led's only work if you hook them up in one direction, in the other direction current won't flow, so it shouldn't blow your fuse.

Envy 04-16-2008 06:00 PM

the 04 has differnt lights and sockets and wiring harnesses from the factory. i cant remember exactly, but when i converted to OEM 04's i bought the 04 sockets + a little thing from radio shack that had female sockets on one end and male wires on the other. i had to connect the old harness for the old socket into the new socket to be an 04. you may need to do this in order to switch to aftermarket 04 lights. not sure. but id def try it. good luck! n remember, the 04turn signals and brake light positions are switched.