Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Car shakes at highway speeds (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/304771-car-shakes-highway-speeds.html)

CaTacL1sm 02-19-2008 08:25 PM

Car shakes at highway speeds

hey guys, need your input...
last wednesday i noticed that when i would go 60mph or faster, my car would start to shake, nothing violent, but a vibration i could feel through the steering wheel. i figured my wheels just needed to be balanced, so i had the front two balanced today...
the shaking is still there however and im a little annoyed... anyone have the same thing happen?
solutions?

thx

fallout 02-19-2008 08:36 PM

Re: Car shakes at highway speeds

Should've gotten an alignment while you were there. Also get your tires checked out. One of my tires was damaged and had a big lump on it, causing the car the vibrate at high speeds.

CaTacL1sm 02-19-2008 09:26 PM

yea ill call my mech up tomorrow. the tires are new tho sooo... i was thinking maybe alignment :_disgust:

WgnrNick 02-19-2008 09:53 PM

A good old balance and alignment should do it. Keep us posted.

Wagner :shake:

DsevenEm2 02-19-2008 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm (Post 4289136)
yea ill call my mech up tomorrow. the tires are new tho sooo... i was thinking maybe alignment :_disgust:

check alignment balance all wheels, and check tire pressure too :tup:

sl33pyriceboi 02-19-2008 11:07 PM

did u just realize this vib. recently? or has it been happening?

gearbox 02-19-2008 11:42 PM

could be....

-improperly balanced wheels
-uneven tire wear
-torn front bushings
-other suspension damage

make sure you take them to a shop that knows how to balance. usually thats the problem. does the vibration sometimes go away, or is it constant? could also be the tires, if the wear spots are different. can try swapping the front and rear tires and see if that helps.

beadebaserr 02-19-2008 11:50 PM

if your steering wheel is shaking, i'm gonna go ahead and bet on your tie-rod ends.

BustedSony 02-20-2008 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm (Post 4289117)
hey guys, need your input...
last wednesday i noticed that when i would go 60mph or faster, my car would start to shake, nothing violent, but a vibration i could feel through the steering wheel. i figured my wheels just needed to be balanced, so i had the front two balanced today...
the shaking is still there however and im a little annoyed... anyone have the same thing happen?
solutions?

thx

I believe your car is a 2005, so it's a bit new to be having this problem; but anytime my Hondas over the years have had a regular vibration that can be felt in the steering only at highway speeds (but not noticeable in local driving) it's always been worn or damaged CV joints. On the other hand tire balance problems can be felt at any speed, tie-rod slack causes irregular vibration and noisy suspension.

With CV joint wear the longer of the two front axles can get out of balance as it becomes offset in the worn bearings and does once-around vibration only at specific speeds. (The shorter axle is far less affected by CV bearing wear. )

Look at the boots covering your CV joints (front axle Universal joints) to see if there's any damage and sign of ingress of water that can dry out the lubrication and promote wear.

YuckerDisMe 02-20-2008 12:54 AM

Not sure what kind of rims you have, but i had a similar problem with mine. Took the wheel off and noticed the inside of it was bent. Replaced the wheel and it fixed it.

CaTacL1sm 02-20-2008 08:23 AM

thanks guys, ill keep ya updated

CaTacL1sm 02-22-2008 05:55 PM

kk, so my mech put the car up on stands and we realized that the belt on the rear drivers side tire has snapped... dunno how that happend but come monday ill have everything fixed :p

thanks all

ONE7thREBUILT 02-22-2008 08:03 PM

Ok...can't help but post this...This is by far my favorite site to visit but at the same time please get a feel for your car mechanically. Maybe I'm 'racist' for the fact that I'm a mechanical engineer that has a feel for real life (if you ever have to deal with engineers you'll understand) but please feel/listen harder and try to use your gut feel to pin point problems before posting or going to your mechanics. I mean this for anyone reading this; if you don't have that feeling your getting ripped off (please don't get ripped off you drive a civic too).

WheelBrokerAng 02-23-2008 07:33 AM

I feel the same as the last poster..one of the things that always starts to happen is after you get something done to your ride...look it over really good to see what other damage they might have done...even like dropping your car off of there jack stands can bend a rim ...

WheelBrokerAng :D

jamis33 02-23-2008 11:09 AM

ok this is gonna sound really dumb but it happened to me. I took off my summer wheels and put my steelies back on for winter. After that my wheel was shakin like mad. Took it into the stealership for a service and asked them to find out the problem. It turns out my summer wheels have these rubber gasket type things that go on the inside of the rim. The gaskets stuck to the brake disks in the front and wen i put the steelies on they weren't fitting properly. kinda scary when you think about it. but its fine now

gearbox 02-23-2008 11:18 AM

hubcentric rings?

burke420 02-23-2008 06:23 PM

take the car to a shop and see if the use Hunter balancers.. then check if they have a road force machine... have them checked...WATCH them... and see if the tires are high road force or separated... if not rebalnce nad check for bends or warped wheels!

beadebaserr 02-24-2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4290454)
hubcentric rings?

i have a really dumb story about those. i was putting my steelies back on and it was super cold and dark in my driveway so i was in a hurry, didn't take off the plastic hub rings, heard cracking when i tightened the wheel down then a piece of plastic flew off, bounced off something and hit me in the face. won't do that again.

burke420 02-25-2008 08:21 PM

yeah..some metal ones next time maybe huh!