Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   I blew up my ECU.....LOL (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/302853-i-blew-up-my-ecu-lol.html)

HyeHonda05 12-11-2007 07:24 PM

I blew up my ECU.....LOL

So for the past week or so, my emissions light had been on. So I decided to take it to the local Honda dealership, since I have the 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty, and I knew whatever was wrong with it probably had something to do with my O2 sensors. So, I take it there and they scan it and tell me I need 2 new 02 sensors, which is covered by my extended warranty, so all I have to pay is 100 for the deductible and 35 for the processing fee. So, I took it there today after they called me saying I got the parts, they change and I am ready to leave and I go into my car, turn it on, and realize my emissions light is still on. As soon as I get out to go chew them out for not fixing the problem, the service manager comes over an starts talking to me. He says that my O2 sensor some how sent some kind of signal to the ECU, and fried it....LOL....so, now I am getting a new ECU for free, since that is covered by the manufacturers warranty....crazy shit.....figured you guys would enjoy the story......

Envy 12-11-2007 08:27 PM

Re: I blew up my ECU.....LOL

:screwy:

NastyNunez 12-11-2007 08:48 PM

lol they just screwed up the wiring on your sensors. Thats really the only way you can burn up your ECU. But hey, its free :)

manahoonie 12-11-2007 09:34 PM

hmmm....you'll probably get better fuel economy again! HEHE...

also, how much did those o2 sensors cost? (or how much would it have cost without having the warranty?)

HyeHonda05 12-11-2007 09:35 PM

yeah..it is free...so i dont really care...now, if i had to pay for it, that would be a different story....but warranties FTW

HyeHonda05 12-11-2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by manahoonie (Post 4270659)
hmmm....you'll probably get better fuel economy again! HEHE...

also, how much did those o2 sensors cost? (or how much would it have cost without having the warranty?)

lol....i hope so...the one i got changed cost 283.82....and there were two of them....plus the 75 to diagnose it....close to 600 with tax....i only paid the 150....

mrbanhbao 12-12-2007 01:54 AM

WHAT! u had to pay a deductible and processing fee? i have the same warranty and i dont ever put out a single penny for any of my problems. that's weird.

LogicWavelength 12-12-2007 06:50 AM

I used to sell cars... HondaCare is the best warranty... so that's why we sold a third party one for the same price instead! He probably has some other random company.

HyeHonda05 12-12-2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LogicWavelength (Post 4270750)
I used to sell cars... HondaCare is the best warranty... so that's why we sold a third party one for the same price instead! He probably has some other random company.

I do another outside company....i dunno....my dad bought it from the dealership when he bought me the car....i told him to get the HondaCare one, but I guess they didnt offer it..or they just offered him this one instead.....

spoonEM 12-12-2007 10:21 AM

I hate service writers. They are so full of shit.

Glad to hear you got it covered though. I wont even take my car to the dealership anymore. Ill just do it myself.

gearbox 12-12-2007 11:04 AM

hondacare is the worst warranty actually. they deny a claim for no reason, even if your car is stock they will make an excuse not to cover you. aftermarket warranty is so much better, depending on if you get a good one. mine covered $500+ of alternator and repairs with just a phone call. they didnt even ask if the car was modded or what happened. they just sent the check. and yea i would never goto a dealer again either. they are either stupid, lazy, or both. it always surprises me when i go in there and end up knowing more about whats wrong than they do. like how my aftermarket exhaust made my spark plugs come loose when in fact the service guy didnt know how to tighten them.

HyeHonda05 12-12-2007 12:01 PM

yeah....so i guess its good i had an outside warranty....i was figuring the service manager was going to say something about my mods and how they might caused the problems, but he didnt...

spoonEM 12-12-2007 12:46 PM

Service writers make money per job and how much work is done...so they always end up making some bullshit story. When I had my first input shaft bearing replaced, he told me I needed a new clutch and flywheel. Mind you my car had only 30k miles on it. I told him no, just replace the bearing...and since i had a modified exhaust, it wasnt covered under warranty. This was all before I had never thought about tackling it myself, so I paid out the ass. Well, when I put my new motor in, turns out there wasnt even anything wrong with the clutch or flywheel, and that was 20,000 miles later. **** the dealership. :)

jamis33 12-12-2007 04:39 PM

man that sucks for me that ur gettin another ecu i got one sittin in my basement that i wanna get rid of. Dont ask about where it came from LOL. But seriously if anybody wants an ecu pm me.

Alpha 5 12-12-2007 05:40 PM

^^^I don't care what the thread is about, there will always be someone trying to sell something that pertains to it.

Example:

Poster: Hey man I just ate some bad Mexican food. That stuff tore me up.

Reply: Hey if you need it, I am selling a toilet seat.

Kinda off the wall but so true.

BTW: Glad you are getting you car fixed at their expense.

Pizza Boy 12-12-2007 06:15 PM

he can haz post in for sell section?
https://icanhascheezburger.files.wor...canhazpota.jpg

02Sicivic 12-12-2007 06:31 PM

just for reference, yes an o2 sensor can burn out an ecu. the 96-00 civics had that problem all the time. the o2's are grounded through the ecu, so it can back feed into the ecu and burn it up. as far as dealerships always trying to rip you off, it isnt all of them. i work at a honda dealer and yes i am a service advisor. I can tell you that we are cheaper than most of the aftermarket shops around, and we will not do anything that does not need to be done. I hate ppl who think they always know more than trained techs with proper equipment. all of my techs were trained at honda canada, we have all of the up to date, state of the art equipment our cars require. That is the reason you spend alittle more than going to Joes fixit center.

slowwhitecivic 12-12-2007 06:38 PM

at least yall have warrenty lol...mine expire like 60,000 miles ago lol

gearbox 12-12-2007 10:13 PM

i kinda lost faith in the dealer here when the top mechanic of 20 yrs couldnt even figure out how to use a torque wrench. each spark plug was tightened between 2 to 40 ft/lbs lol. and the ground wire was hanging down in the radiator fan, and there was oil all over my engine when i got it back. so yea, alot of times, trained mechanics know less than we do. its amazing what you can learn by reading the service manual. too bad not all trained techs do that. and yea, i would goto joe's garage anyday over a dealer. because at least ill get an honest answer and real mechanics working on my car. not some college dropout who barely made it through honda training with a passing score. talking to the techs there made me feel like a was explaining something to a little kid. and still they didnt get it. you also have to wonder when they write in their notebook, "transmition service" no joke i saw it on their calendar.

02Sicivic 12-13-2007 04:46 PM

I will agree that some places should not even be allowed to have a honda sign on it, but to group them all together isn't fair. none of our techs are college drop outs, and they all have to complete every training course available to retain employment. maybe there are different standards in the states. You should see some of the work we get for the aftermarket shops. we had a car that the customer brought to us for the mil being on, we told her it needed an o2 sensor. she didnt believe us and thought we were expensive so she took the car to her "mechanic" 1 week later the car was towed to us with the engine wire harness melted and the dash ripped out of it. we had to reinstall everything inside, replace most of the engine harness and fix every other mistake. guess what, it still needed an 02 sensor, we replaced it and the mil was gone. she ended up spending almost $1500-2000 on the car(between both shops) for a $249.88 part.

jamis33 12-15-2007 09:33 AM

sorry if i offended someone with my offering an ecu. But that was hillarious about the mexican food and toilet seat