Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Question about exhaust issue (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/299311-question-about-exhaust-issue.html)

SweetHondaCivic 08-31-2007 07:50 PM

Question about exhaust issue

hey guys, I just got my magnaflow exhaust system installed today and when I turn or go slow sometime, but not always the exhaust seems to be rubbing against the control arm in the front the car. it doesn't do it a lot but it's annoying.

Does anyone know any idea on how to fix it and is it fixable? I would appreciate any help you guys would offer.

By the way, I have a:

2002 civic lx coupe
magnaflow catback
stock header

lordhelmet 08-31-2007 08:50 PM

Re: Question about exhaust issue

I am pretty sure the exhaust is no where near any suspension components in the front of the car. Get under your car and follow the exhaust pipe back and see where there is rubbing. It should be pretty simple to spot.

tuner04civic 08-31-2007 08:52 PM

there is really nothing it could be rubbing in the front maybe the front swaybar im not sure the exact way the lx is set up. i know few people have rear issues at times.

TRIZ 08-31-2007 09:57 PM

he has a catback... and its an LX... the cat is in the header on the LX...

Going to need more information, and/or a decent quality picture.

SweetHondaCivic 09-01-2007 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked under the car again and I was wrong, it's not the control arm, it's the sway bar and the exhaust seems to be vibrating. It does look like it's rubbing against the swaybar, I don't know why I thought control arm.

I took a pic with my camera phone, sorry bout the quality, it's an older phone.

gearbox 09-01-2007 10:03 AM

common problem. easy fix is wrap some thermotec exhaust wrap around it.

mrtrinh 09-01-2007 10:21 AM

or get the hangers readjusted

SweetHondaCivic 09-01-2007 12:43 PM

How would you adjust the hangers? Do you slide them forward or backward depending on what helps, or would you do something else. I appreciate all the help guys, I don't know much about fixing this kind of problem.

TRIZ 09-01-2007 02:24 PM

You could try to man handle them youself, or take it to a muffler shop and have them work it out for you. I just took off my front sway when I did my ex exhaust conversion. To be honest, I like it much more then having it on.

mrtrinh 09-01-2007 04:42 PM

^^ exactly what triz said, take it to a muffler shop and they'll know what exactly what to do. they'll bend the hangers and make the exhaust sit higher so it will stop hitting the sway bar. Shouldnt cost that much either

SweetHondaCivic 09-01-2007 04:49 PM

that's cool, I called the shop that did it for me and I have to take it in Tuesday and they should fix it for me. I figured it would be a simple fix since it isn't hitting bad at all, just enough to annoy me lol. It won't hurt to drive it like this until Tuesday would it?

mrtrinh 09-01-2007 04:54 PM

you'll be fine

SweetHondaCivic 09-01-2007 09:15 PM

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know if the exhaust will get a little louder. I like the sound of it, but when I get on the gas I can hear the SRI over the exhaust, unless I'm just hearing a combination of the two. I'm new to the whole exhaust thing lol. but I appreciate the help though.

tuner04civic 09-01-2007 09:45 PM

it will get a little louder as the carbon builds up on the inside but honestly not that much louder. oudness depends on the muffler, if u have a resonator in the exhaust, a cat, what header, and pipe size. so its a bunch of things to make a nice mellow purrr or a loud ass mower.

Kevbotron 09-01-2007 09:48 PM

ahhh cancel your appt w/ the shop! just go to an auto parts store and buy longer rubber hangers for the axleback part.. it lowers it a little bit to clear where the metal is touching.. I know from experience, and this works:tup:

SweetHondaCivic 09-09-2007 01:31 AM

I took it to the shop and they had to lower the exhaust by half an inch to clear the front sway bar more. It still rattles against it sometimes, it's a little annoying, but it's definitely better than before.

What other options do you think I have to stop the rattle?

Where can you get that exhaust rap I saw someone mention?

gearbox 09-09-2007 10:11 AM

exhaust will get louder over time as with any exhaust even stock.

http://www.thermotec.com/

SweetHondaCivic 09-09-2007 01:58 PM

what I was saying is that the exhaust is hitting the front sway bar. I was looking for an alternative to fixing the exhaust besides lowering it more.

Would replacing the sway bar with an aftermarket one fix the issue?

Is the thermal wrap a good idea?

Boggie6868 09-09-2007 02:56 PM

Take off your front sway bar, measure the diameter. Go to the nearest hardware store and buy radiator hose of the same diameter. Take some windex and spray it all inside the hose and along the sway bar. Take the hose and just slide it to where ever you need it on the sway to keep the exhaust from rattling against it.

Same can be applied to the rear.

Good Luck

SweetHondaCivic 09-09-2007 04:45 PM

if you remove or replace your front sway bar do you just bolt it up or do you have to worry about torquing it down?

Boggie6868 09-09-2007 06:59 PM

There probably is a spec that your suppose to torque it too, but I didn't have a torque wrench when I did this to my rear sway. I just tightened it good.

burke420 09-09-2007 07:03 PM

solution... get the Progress sway bar on the front, it allows for more space and clearance... i gota magnaflow midpipe with the T1R muffler.. and i never hit on the front.. but i got a muffler lying around i need to get rid of...? it's got some rubbing marks on it..