Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   What causes Exhaust Rice-ness (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/295714-what-causes-exhaust-rice-ness.html)

xxxcivic2001 06-05-2007 09:46 PM

What causes Exhaust Rice-ness

So i have the Greddy Evo and DC RH. I'm wondering what causes the ricey sound. My Evo sounds horrible at certain rpm's, like a rattling vibration rice noise. It's not a leak or loose piece or anything. Is there anything i can do to make it stop or should i consider a new exhaust?

TRIZ 06-05-2007 10:03 PM

Re: What causes Exhaust Rice-ness

Its all about the size of the pipes, the resonator shape, type of car and muffler. Its basicaly just how the air responds to what its traveling through and the speed its traveling, but with exhausts you really dont have many options of differnt materials.

You can experiment with differnt resonators or put a silencer on.

xxxcivic2001 06-05-2007 10:06 PM

any suggestions?

TurismoDreamin 06-05-2007 10:28 PM

4cyl...with large exhaust...and low hp..

But yea, I would recommend a silencer too...and if they did cut off ur resonator...then you'll probably want that back on too..

burke420 06-05-2007 11:01 PM

no resonator is the ricey part!

Boilermaker1 06-05-2007 11:08 PM

4 bangers are raucous. The harmonics of them are inherently horrid and you need something to dampen it out... resonators, a good muffler, a turbo, etc... mixing and matching parts is going to cause resonance frequencies to jump around, depending on how the parts were designed to work together. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt. Apparently in your case, you wound up with a goofy set of frequencies that wont cancel out, hence, you hear funny noises.
Listen to a completely unmuffled car like a Honda Challenge car. Sounds like the stereotypical can of bees, yet still melodic in a strange way.

gearbox 06-05-2007 11:53 PM

my rsr doesnt have resonator and it sounds great, very low toned, sounds like bass at low rpm and nice low tone at hi rpm. very sporty.

clue14 06-06-2007 12:01 AM

yeah i have straight pipes after the cat and it sounds great no rice just good low roar...not like a rattling"broom" maybe its your car?
hmm...
i have no idea i just heard a couple of cars that do sound like that i dont like it either...

DsevenEm2 06-06-2007 12:24 AM

the straighter the pipes exiting out the car the better the sound? is it safe to assume that?

20civic01 06-06-2007 01:51 AM

how long have you had it? i've had my apex'i n1 on for a while, and when i first got it, it was great, low and not too loud, even without the silencer. now it sounds like crap even with the silencer in. i think it just wore out and it's time to get a new one.

xxxcivic2001 06-06-2007 02:09 AM

Could possibly be that it's worn out but i've never really heard of that. As for everyone who says there exhaust is nice and deep, do u still have stock header and/or cat. Mine was ok sounding before the Race Header.

sl33pyriceboi 06-06-2007 02:16 AM

its the design of the muffler...and whether its equiped with a renator or not.

companies will try all sorts of combination to get the best sound... why do u think companies like magnaflow sounds good? or the RSR?

but as for greddy...it sounds like crap on the EM2.

beverly_k 06-06-2007 03:29 AM

Right resonator and pipe size plus chambered muffler will do the trick.

DsevenEm2 06-06-2007 09:44 AM

i have a magnaflow resonator and a magnaflow muffler...the muffler isnt just a hollow can i mean u can see inside its built to be muffled and free flowing. its got all kinds of stuff inside. but im getting custom piping so yea..and i still havnt got it welded..:_disgust: ...i duno..whatd u guys think? rice or nice?

LT2004ever 06-06-2007 09:59 AM

*subscribed* because when i buy an exhaust down the line i wanna know what i should do to not have it sound raspy at higher RPM's like all exhausts can sound good at idle, or good when your car is parked and u set up a recorder, but i need to know what setups actually will produce a nicely toned sound :)

beadebaserr 06-06-2007 10:01 AM

I have an EVO2 on my em2 also, but with a k20a2, and at times it sounds ricey. I think I'm gonna get an RS*R or something. They look better anyway. Does anyone know how much more restrictive they are, or if i'd notice a power decrease?

Kevbotron 06-06-2007 10:04 AM

Get a bigger motor or get an axleback exhaust .. HKS is nice IMO.

gearbox 06-06-2007 10:53 AM

over time the baffles in any muffler will wear down and change the sound.

Da1lyDr1ver 06-06-2007 10:57 AM

your problem is due to your race header. the header eliminates the catalytic converter. i have the same header on my car, and i only have an RSX-S axleback on my car and its louder than stock with just the header on.

you already have a pretty quiet exhaust on your car, it being an Greddy Evo exhaust. if you want the raspiness of the exhaust to go away, your best bet would be to get a resonator welded onto the midpipe of your exhaust.

Syke Fu 06-06-2007 11:29 AM

Yeah, i got the HKS axleback and it's mild when compared to others. It's actually kinda starting to irritate me though. Rattles here and there, ya know just small stuff.

Maybe i'm just sensitive or something. :shrug:

DsevenEm2 06-06-2007 12:02 PM

on an ex model em2. haveing the 4-2-1 race header eliminates the cat? i dont think thats right, maybe on the lx or dx models but on the ex the cat isnt integrated into the header.

Kevbotron 06-06-2007 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Syke Fu (Post 4199287)
Yeah, i got the HKS axleback and it's mild when compared to others. It's actually kinda starting to irritate me though. Rattles here and there, ya know just small stuff.

Maybe i'm just sensitive or something. :shrug:

DUDE I have that prob too.. I just got longer hangers.. maybe that will fix the rattling:_doh:

xxxcivic2001 06-06-2007 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable (Post 4199303)
on an ex model em2. haveing the 4-2-1 race header eliminates the cat? i dont think thats right, maybe on the lx or dx models but on the ex the cat isnt integrated into the header.

it eliminates the cat on the em2, hence being called a race header.

So do u guys think that another exhaust will be less raspy or because of the RH will they all have that sound.

Da1lyDr1ver 06-06-2007 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by D17sRuNtunable (Post 4199303)

DC Sports makes a RACE header for the '01-'05 EX civic. its a race header hence, eliminating the cat. the DC header includes a downpipe which eliminates the cat. its nothing compared to the shorty header. my car is an EX model.

DC Sports Race Header:
http://www.truehonda.com/makeimage.p...jpg&w=150&h=50

DC Sports Shortty Header:
http://www.truehonda.com/makeimage.p...jpg&w=150&h=50

Mr_Plenty 06-06-2007 02:03 PM

ricey whats that...i got a cheap tsudo carbon fiber exhaust and the shyt sounds great...lowwww n deeep everyone loves it, the greddys sound like shit at hi rpms on the em2 in my opinion.

Mr_Plenty 06-06-2007 02:04 PM

n no i didnt buy it...it came with the car

DsevenEm2 06-06-2007 03:01 PM

how does urs sound at high rpm? any sound clips? ^^

xxxcivic2001 06-06-2007 03:33 PM

if you guys wanna hear mine, here's a vid of it. Listen to the raspyness. It sounds good when u free-rev it, but under accel its shit. damn i hate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZxc4x2xkA

Syke Fu 06-06-2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kevbotron (Post 4199304)
DUDE I have that prob too.. I just got longer hangers.. maybe that will fix the rattling:_doh:

Maybe so. Were did you get your longer hangers from?? :bump:

02BLKCIVIC 06-06-2007 06:24 PM

Apex-i for the WIN!!!