Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   control freek needs suggestions (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/291431-control-freek-needs-suggestions.html)

MURDOCK 03-08-2007 12:48 AM

control freek needs suggestions

I need to get opinions, suggestions, from people you have knowledge with setting up suspension:help:

The ride:2001 lx 2dr

The goal: achieve the best handeling a can utilizing of the shelf bolt on parts and still have a decent daily driver. In other words I want to be able to carve corners without doing this :hithead: every time I come across a bump in the road.

So far the only mods I have are rims/tires 17" sr86 wrapped with toyo proxes 4 and a DC lower rear tie bar.

My planes are to add the following items.
If there is anything I have overlooked or changes I should make or maybee I'm going a little over board and don't need all this stuff please give me your two cents.

-Tien Type SSCoilovers W/upper mounts $1318
-Tien EDFC $357
-Tanabe Sub Frame Connector part# TUB043F $188
-DC Front strut tower bar Carbon steel $165
-Vibrant Perf Rear strut tower bar $62
-Skunk2 Rear camber kit $162
-Ingals Front camber kit $26
-H&R Front adjustable sway bar 26mm $229

Total: $2,507.00

So there it is^ I guess my real Question is will all this crap really give me better handeling or will I just be wasting my money?

Thanks for reading.
Speed is nothing without control ;)

susuking 03-08-2007 01:22 AM

better prepare for some rough ride there my friend

bobsagator 03-08-2007 08:36 AM

Couple of items:
Rear strut tower bar is useless.
SPC front and rear camber kit can be found for $155 at TrueHonda
01 LX has a 25.4mm front sway, so what's the purpose of the 26mm sway?

Coilovers seem like a good start, but may be more than what you are looking for, and much more expensive. If you want to corner faster/better you should probably start with a rear sway bar since the 01 LX doesn't have one. Progress makes a kit to install a rear sway.

And there is a full section on suspension, where all of this has been covered. Search around and find the setup that will fit your needs.

Kevbotron 03-08-2007 09:34 AM

^yup!

spc camber kit - 155
lowering springs - 200
Tokico blues - 325
neuspeed upper strut - 120
Progress rear sway - 185
--------------------------
985... over a grand and a half less than your setup :tup:

TransformedBG 03-08-2007 11:44 AM

me:(rounding up)
Megan dampers: $900
Megan Front and rear strut bar: $100
Megan lower tie: $30
Ingalls full Camber kit: $110
Stock civic ex sway bars: free

total spent $1140

could be less with a good set of konis and some good springs

Ride : priceless and bumpy as all hell, but gets me down the track in 13.5 seconds lol. :) oh and i have my settings for auto x too.

only other thing i might do is up the stock rear from a 12mm sway to an 18

*side note* i talk directly to dealers and get discounts on my parts.. If you want some good stuff cheep, talk to Tai over at Corsportusa.com tell him TransformedBG sent yah!

SSMCivic2k5 03-08-2007 12:02 PM

shouldve bought a new car lol

cravinspeed 03-08-2007 12:24 PM

i'm a big fan of my eibach sportline springs and koni 8 way struts along with eibach front and rear sways.

TRIZ 03-08-2007 01:40 PM

EDFC isnt going to give you better handeling, it is just a way for tein to get more money outta you, and clutter up your interior with another gauge/deck. Everything that it does can be adjusted by hand while the car is stopped.

The rear strut is a waste. Now, to me it looks like you found a bunch of expensive stuff. Each suspension item you have is going to make your car handle differently. How you want it to handle is the question you need to figure out. Keep in mind, all of these things add weight, something you may or may not care about, but just anothing thing to think about.

Another question you should ask yourself... what are you going to be doing with the car... auto x, back roads, street racing, what...

MURDOCK 03-08-2007 07:03 PM

Well I'm starting to think I got case of bigger is better meaning more stuff most money spent will make me happy.

I like the point TRIZ makes what will I be doing with the car?
Well probably nothing major except crashing it with my big head notion that all that suspension stuff has given me a full bred race car.

I am one that is easily convinced and changes my mind very quickly.

So this is my new goal drop the car like 1" or 1.5" for looks and still retain a somewhat smooth ride. **** all that other stuff!!

Thanks for bursting my bubble,raining on my parade crashing my party ect..

No but thanks really for all the good valid points.

TemjinX2 03-08-2007 08:03 PM

i say ground control coil overs with koni yellow shocks. This is a really good combo and is the common combination for integs and 6th gens. Good thing about ground control coil overs is that they use eibach springs and you can get your own custom spring rates if you order it from the ground control website.

I went with a 400lb /ft Front and 300lb /ft rear. You can change it around depending on if you want more understeer or oversteer. I would go with Linear springs if your going to take your car to the limits and maybe a progressive rear if you are using it mainly for dd.

MURDOCK 03-08-2007 09:05 PM

Yea mixing and matching can be hit or miss.

on my 96 200sx I learned the hard way sprint performance lowering springs
on stock struts look great handled well but for daily driving it was a huge mistake.

In contrast my 96 A4 I used a proven set-up Beilstien with neuspeed springs
looked great handle great and was actually smoother than stock!

I need a proven suspension set-up for my 7thgen that will give me what my Audi gave me.

dru106 03-08-2007 09:46 PM

Unless youre gonna do extreme track racing well even that I think Teins are over rated and a waste of $$ Just get full damper kits off Megans or D2's!!!

MURDOCK 03-08-2007 09:58 PM

Yes I starting to feel the same way unless your doing track racing there is no need to spend/burn that kind of cash.

TemjinX2 03-08-2007 10:39 PM

if say go with the megan's if you don't want to worry about it. Probably best bang for your buck.

MURDOCK 03-08-2007 11:24 PM

The megan's looked nice and I like the control knob for adjusting the shock

price seems good just under 900.00

I never heard of the brand before what makes them better than well known names like Tein and others.

bigmax1665 05-18-2007 08:41 PM

Re: control freek needs suggestions

id say go tein ss like you were originally going to. those are bad ass and adjustable so you can tune them for just daily driving or for track use. very versatile IMO. then id just go with the progress sway bars, atleast get the rear sway bar. the strut bars and frame braces are of no use to you unless you plan on doing some racing. adjustable coilovers and swaybars are the way to make your car handle any way you want. you just have to know how you want it to drive.

dust 05-18-2007 08:47 PM

Re: control freek needs suggestions

dude just get konis and neuspeeds