Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   What do you guys think i should do... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/291348-what-do-you-guys-think-i-should-do.html)

Tokoyama 03-06-2007 07:51 PM

What do you guys think i should do...

I crashed my car maybe 2 weeks ago and i sent it off to a collision center that my insurance recommended. i didnt think that the damage to my car was that bad, i figured i just needed to replace the fenders, front bumper and hood, as well as radiator and power steering. atleast thats all i could assess from looking at it (couldnt open hood). my preliminary estimate was a little over $8000, and today while i was taking my lunch break at work i got a call from the shop, and they said that the new estimate is now looking at $12000, they said its almost borderline to being considered totaled and they sent the estimate and some pics to my insurance to let them decide what they wanna do, but ultimately its up to me with what i want to have done to my car. you guys think i should just ask them to total my car and get a different car, if so what car? or do you guys think i should hang on to it?

heres a link to the post i posted in the crash thread if you guys wanna see the exterior damage to the car:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...thread-12.html

TRIZ 03-06-2007 09:24 PM

I wouldnt fix it at that price, although looking at the pictures, I wouldnt think that was 12k to fix. I'd pick my car up and start swaping the stock parts back on and let them declare it totaled. Pick up a civic si, or rsx (s) at that price.

DaMadScientist 03-06-2007 10:13 PM

$12000...are you ****in serious...a tree limb fell on my car, almost had every panel replaced by honda for $6000 painted and everything....take that to a different shop....i got into a accident like that...quote was for $2600...and that was with hood, bumper, headlights, radiator and new radiator support and misc alignments and paint.

Although in your situation id ask for it to be totalled...once they are wreaked they are never the same

LT2004ever 03-06-2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by TRIZ (Post 4155856)
I wouldnt fix it at that price, although looking at the pictures, I wouldnt think that was 12k to fix. I'd pick my car up and start swaping the stock parts back on and let them declare it totaled. Pick up a civic si, or rsx (s) at that price.

i agree with triz on this one... just let them total it... fot 12k you can almost buy a completely new civic! lol.... but yea get a 02 rsx type s or a older si :) Time to upgrade!

Tokoyama 03-06-2007 10:33 PM

yea i know 12000 sounds freaking ridiculous, most of it is probably labor, they also said they noticed a crack on the transmission, so i dont know if they already included the cost of that in the estimate or theyre gonna add on to it or not but i dont know. i think ill probably have them total it after i go and retrieve my parts, i cant get it back to the house without having it towed since the power steering is broken. and your right, i know the car is not going to be the same ever again, i realized that the second i turned the car on to drive from the crashsite to a nearby parking lot 8 miles away. id like to get an RSX in place of my civic, ive always wanted an RSX, but my parents were pretty damn pissed about the accident, they thought i was street racing, so i dont know if theyll agree with the RSX or stick me with a shitty car that would be pointless to do any moding on

PitchBlack 03-07-2007 12:33 AM

Total that bucket...it'll never be right again even after they fix it. You can make a good car crappy but you can't make a crappy car good. Good luck with your parents...maybe buy them a romantic night out on the town, get your ol' man laid and he might start seeing things your way...

zachpolo 03-07-2007 12:51 AM

PLEASE! Ditch the car.. Coming from someone who has wrecked a car that was in the same range to "repair", you are in for constant repair of the "fixed" parts.. Like everyone else said, It will NEVER be the same