Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Ok im am in need of a decision guys (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/290292-ok-im-am-need-decision-guys.html)

03civic1 02-12-2007 04:24 PM

Ok im am in need of a decision guys

Ok,

Personally i would love to figure this out on my own, but i cant so i come to this website and search b4 asking because thats what everyone says to do right?

As somewhat of a nOOb, i ma tryin to figure out if i should boost, or go n/a....

I would like a little bit of a gain from what i have now (d17a2,) but i cant decide, and i have been searching for like th past 5 days on here back and forth threw threads.

So i guess my question or comment is, i would love to buy a used d17a2 and build it up internally, and boost it with the dezod, or force fed kit. truthfully im lazy and dont feel like maintaing a boosted car.

So that leaves me to believe i just rather go N/A, and when i say that i mean, new pistons, rods, cam, cam gear, springs & retainers, PnP head, head studs if needed, ummm bore t/b, and whatever EMS needed, which i am confused as to which one to use for what application i choose to go with.. but with going n/a i guess i would need advice as to what pistons etc... to get

But then i say to myself, i dont feel like spending an arm and a leg to do all this, so i rather buy a used motor reuild it with stock everything to ensure myself it will last for a while, and do just small bolt-ons like cam gear i/h/e, and maybe stage one cam.

so i am really really confused as what i should do, i know that i dont have to everything at once, plus i am not to smart on how to rebuild a motor, but would love to find out and learn hands on, so i guess anyones, or any advice would help me out alot thxz guys

dru106 02-12-2007 08:20 PM

Im sorry but nothing will make this car fast even with a swap its usless! Get another car if u plan on going fast........

AmbulanceMonkee 02-12-2007 08:44 PM

I'm going to copy this monologue I'm about to give, and save it somewhere, so I can just paste it in when someone asks this question.

Here's the deal. Swaps, and to a slightly lesser degree, turbos, are expensive. If you take the money you're going to spend on a swap or turbo, and add the value of the car, you could get a wrx, or something else that's fast stock, so you keep reliability. While I respect all these guys that have swapped or turboed their cars, I still dont' see the point. Why not just buy something faster?? I guess there's something to be said for building up a car yourself, and making it fast, but it's expensive and time consuming. As for your D17, you will never exceed 200HP while staying n/a, and you're going to spend more to get there than you would if you just turboed the damned thing. It's your money, so if you wanna buy a second block and build it up, go for it. But if you don't know what you're doing, i'd make damned sure you have someone that does know look it over before you try to run it. Otherwise, you may be out a lot of money.

Personally, what i'm considering doing is keeping my mods to the civic minimal, and eventually buying an older car, maybe a civic si, with an engine more responsive to mods, and building that up. That's something you may want to consider. Keep your car as a DD, and get a project car to play with, something to learn about building engines on and not have any need to rush through a swap to get your only transportation back on the road.

dru106 02-12-2007 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee (Post 4144166)
I'm going to copy this monologue I'm about to give, and save it somewhere, so I can just paste it in when someone asks this question.

Here's the deal. Swaps, and to a slightly lesser degree, turbos, are expensive. If you take the money you're going to spend on a swap or turbo, and add the value of the car, you could get a wrx, or something else that's fast stock, so you keep reliability. While I respect all these guys that have swapped or turboed their cars, I still dont' see the point. Why not just buy something faster?? I guess there's something to be said for building up a car yourself, and making it fast, but it's expensive and time consuming. As for your D17, you will never exceed 200HP while staying n/a, and you're going to spend more to get there than you would if you just turboed the damned thing. It's your money, so if you wanna buy a second block and build it up, go for it. But if you don't know what you're doing, i'd make damned sure you have someone that does know look it over before you try to run it. Otherwise, you may be out a lot of money.

Personally, what i'm considering doing is keeping my mods to the civic minimal, and eventually buying an older car, maybe a civic si, with an engine more responsive to mods, and building that up. That's something you may want to consider. Keep your car as a DD, and get a project car to play with, something to learn about building engines on and not have any need to rush through a swap to get your only transportation back on the road.

True but if im gonna get another car I dont think i would get a civic again lol....... Its time for upgrade!!! Civics are just for kids and im gettin too old for this kinda stuff..... haha

blouisgod 02-12-2007 09:03 PM

Just leave it as is. Theres no shame in rocking a D.

AmbulanceMonkee 02-12-2007 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by dru106 (Post 4144179)
True but if im gonna get another car I dont think i would get a civic again lol....... Its time for upgrade!!! Civics are just for kids and im gettin too old for this kinda stuff..... haha

Also true. Maybe a 240 as a side project??

Vexorg 02-12-2007 09:37 PM

if youre lazy this is the wrong hobby

AmbulanceMonkee 02-12-2007 09:39 PM

^good point.

ohsnapsjay08 02-12-2007 09:42 PM

yea.. get a different car for sure.

sl33pyriceboi 02-12-2007 11:54 PM

well said AmbulanceMonkee........120% correct