Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Boltons... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/284618-boltons.html)

y.0. KiLLa 11-25-2006 03:45 PM

Boltons...

Hey guys, today after driving for a year and half with my aem intake and hks exhaust system, i took it all off and replaced it with the original stuff. I am amazed b/c my car feels so much better and it drives alot better than before. it feels more torquey and has more power...has anyone experienced this too?

I cant be imaginign this, b/c my dad drove my car and after i removed it all, he even said the car felt so much better....I thought boltons were supposed to help? BLAH!

ohsnapsjay08 11-25-2006 03:48 PM

lol very true, when i got my aftermarket exhaust installed (with aftermarket header and intake already in it ), gee i felt i lost the power, but when i put my header stock back in, dang it felt so much better and response more. and to top it off, i just get about 280 miles full tank with intake header/ stock exhaust... and now, i get about 350 with stock header (but with intake and aftermarket exhaust) kinda cool!

i believe this is true because of the back pressure that the header does.. so i guess it gave me more throttle response. love driving my car alot better than before!!

TRIZ 11-25-2006 04:12 PM

*raises hand* I learned someting. ha. so.. do intake and exhaust, but not headers?

genexrocket 11-25-2006 04:21 PM

honda engineers their engines extremely well, you basically get the most power you could from that engine, slapping an intake or a header is gonna throw off the whole engine resulting in lower performance

SOAD 11-25-2006 04:33 PM

i thought everyone knew that already

ohsnapsjay08 11-25-2006 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TRIZ (Post 4091025)
*raises hand* I learned someting. ha. so.. do intake and exhaust, but not headers?

yep yep, saves gas, more power and save some money!! :tup:

gearbox 11-25-2006 06:22 PM

depends on the parts i guess. my car feels faster with intake and exhaust. kept stock header. the stock exhaust is actually too small compared to the rest of the piping from the engine.

genexrocket 11-25-2006 08:04 PM

the new 2007 G35 sedan has dual cold-air intakes for 5hp at 60mph, see? they'll use it when it's needed, lol

CuRiOuSfIsH 11-25-2006 08:09 PM

I also felt I lost low end power when I installed intake but felt I gained some pack from underdrive pullies. A lot of these bolt on mods kind of just "move/rob" the low end power and kind of place it later in the powerband.... which I dont mind but I usually dont suggest intake to auto cars.

TRIZ 11-25-2006 08:11 PM

yeah, I noticed that the other day, the piping from the headers to about the front axle (called the downpipe?) is fine, or should that be replaced with something larger when doing exhaust?

gearbox 11-25-2006 09:01 PM

no but replacing the catback pipe with something a tad bigger is a good match to have it all the same size. i didnt notice anything with my exhaust as far as performance, it just kinda made everything smoother up top. then when i put the intake, i got a ton of low end and throttle response. i can step the gas from a stop and get a pretty good jolt from it lol. and low end is pretty good, esp in winter. i would not touch the stock header, it is already fine as far as the ports matching the head and the design. i was possibly thinking about jet coating the stock to keep heat in better, but the stock shield works pretty well so idk... and stock exhaust i could tell was tuned completely for low end, it felt good below 3k rpms but once you get on it the thing wouldnt wanna go anywhere.

CIVIC X3 11-25-2006 11:34 PM

i second wit the exhaust tuned completely for low end...once i had my intake on...wow did it want to climb instead of chokin goin up the rpm.

TRIZ 11-26-2006 04:44 AM

hmm, first gotta get low, exhaust another day. mental note: catback, same headers

gearbox 11-26-2006 07:17 AM

but for low end, i found the weapon-r secret was the best. K&N also felt okay (typhoon), but the rest like aem sri made it much worse.

karizzle 11-26-2006 08:06 AM

yeah i heard a bunch of similar stories, hence the reason i got a sri over a cai (only there for sound)

Dmowerz34 11-26-2006 09:51 AM

well when i noticed a big difference when i replaced the cat with a straight pipe and had intake header exhaust along with a stage 2 crower camshaft retainer kit yea i can say ill smash many cars that think civic have no power i have dyno sheets to prove it to

ohsnapsjay08 11-26-2006 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dmowerz34 (Post 4091367)
well when i noticed a big difference when i replaced the cat with a straight pipe and had intake header exhaust along with a stage 2 crower camshaft retainer kit yea i can say ill smash many cars that think civic have no power i have dyno sheets to prove it to

well yea, cause you did some internals.. so i hope you did gain something something. (whats your numbers btw?)

Dmowerz34 11-26-2006 10:25 AM

135 wheel and 115 torque mustang dyno

gearbox 11-26-2006 11:37 AM

got proof? most manuals with i/h/e and a few other mods barely get 120whp. i only know one guy who dynoed at 140whp and he had serious engine work and tune (port and polish, valve job, cam adjustments and timing tune, i/h/e all done on the dyno).

kornsined 11-26-2006 12:48 PM

personally I think these results are from not tuning the engine to make use of the changes.

BTW I think I was 115whp and 108wtq with IHE no cat. No cat was easily the best mod.

gearbox 11-26-2006 02:03 PM

when i tuned my car on the dyno with i/h/e cam gear and head i only got 2whp extra.... our ecu actually runs quite rich stock, so adding mods that increase airflow actually makes the engine run better.

Dmowerz34 11-26-2006 09:17 PM

well yea i do i have my dyno sheets you got a person that knows how to tune a vafc well then yea it will i was still makeing power when i hit factory rev and its on a mustang dyno i have before the cam and after the cam results in my car