Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Photographers input needed!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/283875-photographers-input-needed.html)

slickstarnz 11-12-2006 05:06 PM

Photographers input needed!!!

Sorry in advance, but I'm not sure where to put this. For christmas I plan on buying myself a camera for photoshoots. Since, many of you on the site take pictures very well and have experience with more professional style cameras, I was hoping to get your input on some cameras I should look into.
Criteria:
1)Easy to use
2)Good quality (pictures and build)
3)Price between $500-1000

Long story short, I want a good camera for an amateur to learn on, but must be good enough to suit my needs as my skills advance.

Thanks in advance guys!:rockon:

red_civic_boi 11-12-2006 05:09 PM

$500 up good picture and quality

LogicWavelength 11-12-2006 05:26 PM

check the link in my signature about the Automotive Photography... a few comments are discussing different entry level cameras.

My personal suggestion is the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi.

xkimsungminx 11-12-2006 07:21 PM

^ logic.. what do you think about Nikon's D series in comparisson to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. I'm thinking about getting a camera but I'm not sure which I should get. Is it relatively like this?? Nikon D50 = Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D70s = Canon Rebel XTi, Nikon D80 = Canon EOS 30D??

drew22mader 11-12-2006 08:28 PM

Well, here's my opinion, the Nikon D50 is a few hundred dollars cheaper, but only has 6mp vs the 8 mp the XT has. Why even buy the XT now, it has been replaced with the XTi for the same price as the XT was. If your just starting out, the 30D isn't something you should start out with. XTi is perfect starter and advanced user camera.

xkimsungminx 11-12-2006 11:01 PM

ooh okay. thanks for your input. haha i spent a good hour and half or two hours over on s2ki.net photography section looking at what the members there had to say. it seems to me it's just user preference when it comes to getting either canon or nikon, but a rule of thumb they seem to suggest is to see if you like the feel of the camera in your hands.

now that i know that... i don't know where i could go to actually get my hands on either a canon XTi or a nikon i guess.

question: what camera are YOU using drew?? and yes if i do buy a DSLR it'd be my first ever using one or owning one. :)

drew22mader 11-13-2006 12:30 AM

I use the Canon Rebel XT. I love it alot. I have the chance to upgrade, friend of mine bought a 30D and she doesn't like it cause her hands are small and she says it's too big. So i let her try mine out. We may do a trade and some money for hers. But i def like the Canon cameras. I've shot with the Nikon's and just like the overall feel and quality of canon.

xkimsungminx 11-13-2006 12:39 AM

^^ thanks drew! i think i'll give the Rebel XTi a shot once i can gather up enough money after paying off some school loans. i guess any camera should be fine being that it's going to be a starter for me. hopefully i'll find a store somewhere around where i live that'll let me test them out in store. thanks

slickstarnz 12-23-2006 09:13 AM

Ok well I took the leap and bought myself the XTi for christmas. Now the question I have is what lens would you all suggest if I plan to take pictures of cars and people and I want the subjuect to be clear with that slight blur effect to the background?

drew22mader 12-23-2006 10:18 AM

Did it come with the 18-55mm kit lens? You can use that alot. Alot of people do as well as me and have great results. You could get the 17-40mm, but the 17-40 is hella expensive. The lens doesn't control what stuff is blurry in front or behind an object. You must use the settings to control the Depth of Field.

tuner04civic 12-23-2006 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by LogicWavelength (Post 4083368)
check the link in my signature about the Automotive Photography... a few comments are discussing different entry level cameras.

My personal suggestion is the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi.

i deff. agree. cannon and nikon slr's aregreat the nikon one i would recommend is the d80 and thats like 1200. i personally have the xti and love it i took shots and posted on here you can see how they came out. im still learning it though and should use a tripod next time.

slickstarnz 12-23-2006 12:30 PM

Well thanks drew yea I guess I'll just give the 15mm or whatever it came with a try for a while and if I get really good invest some money but hey thats great that you use that lens bc i've seen someof your pics and i'm impressed so that will save me some much needed money

TRIZ 12-23-2006 12:47 PM

The rebel was a good choice! My friend has it and we go on photo shoots, very easy to use, great feel, and lots of options. Digital SLRs are soo dope, you made a good buy, I hope you enjoy!

As for the depth of feild, if you want to take a still picture and have the foreground and background blurry but your subject focused, try getting far away from your object, and then get your focus. I always get my focus by zooming in, focusing on the exact depth, and then zooming out to wherever I want- always clear pics as opposed to risking depth and making the focus without zooming in. If you want a picture lke in logicwavelengths sig, have your buddy drive your car, have another buddy drive his car and both drivers stay at the same constant speed, then snap your pciture- blurry backgrounds. Well, thats just a short little blurb to get you started, check out logicwavelengths photo guide if you can pull it up (says error 404 when I try)- I'm sure its good. Or head to the lib and check a book out- or just rummage around online. Theres lots of info for SLR cameras and how to use them.

:tup: good buy