Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   5 grand (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/276888-5-grand.html)

gaugeof12 08-31-2006 01:21 AM

5 grand

OK, so some of you read my integra vs TC thread a while back. Well the integra I was going to buy is no longer for sale. The guy I was going to buy it from couldnt scrape up the $$ to get the 07 Camry he wanted, so hes going to keep the teg until...? Regardless what he does the wifes POS Focus needs to go (she is going to take the vic). So now I am looking for another car and looking to spend abouth 5k(or less). For that price I am guessing I am looking @ somthing about mid-90s. What I DO need for that $$ is a car that has a solid motor. That could mean buying a car thats good to go *OR* spending less on the car & having the engine rebuilt/replaced (I have a bit of time here as I will have a car to drive for the meantime). I dont care either way as long as I am out for roughly 5k. What the car does NOT have to have is perfect paint (fading small dings ok, no major body work) or a great interior. From that point on I will have $ monthly to put into the car. Starting with function (suspension, exhaust, ect... (no major engine mods at this point), then progressing to interior/exterior cosmetics and finishing up with engine mods. *DAMN THIS IS LONG HUH* SO what I am asking you guys is what would you be on the lookout for as a base car for this. I am open to most imports but needs to be reliable (thus no DSM, ha) and my overall goal is not big HP, just something fun to get around in. Also I am not looking for another car payment, so please dont say "Use it for a down payment"

CLIFF NOTES: Reliable car for 5k, what would you be looking for. Would like the car to have decent aftermarket support.

Example: I was going to spend $3000 on a DC2. Then have the engine rebuilt & and b16 tranny with the rest of the $.

jamesandrew58 08-31-2006 01:53 AM

buy a eg
find a h22 and do a h2b conversion on it if ur into drag racing

or by an eg
and drop a b16b, with koni yellows and gc and a nice rear sway and hit the mountains :)

ddevil0013 08-31-2006 02:17 AM

miata, good aftermarket, cheap, reliable, FUN!

or bike lol

Christian Calim 08-31-2006 03:13 AM

300ZX and turbo it other wise if lucky get a 300ZX TT which i doubt.

LiVe bAiT 08-31-2006 06:44 AM

i just went this route...but i spent 7500. eg hatch, second gen b16, some internals, and t3/t4 turbo. but like cpl post up. u can find a hatch cheap and a h22 isnt that much like 1600. so hatch for like 1000-1200 plus 1800 for motor (200 for shipping) plus some misc parts to put motor in yer lookin at like 3500 for a pretty fast car for stock motor.

Civicman1988 08-31-2006 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Christian Calim
300ZX and turbo it other wise if lucky get a 300ZX TT which i doubt.

agree got to drive one the other day and there fun

CenZ 08-31-2006 07:54 AM

i say get an ek hatch, keep it stock for while, then bswap it, only reason i say ek and not eg is cause the ek is nicer. you can prolly pick up the cx (sorta like the ex, i think dont know my hatchs to well.) 5spd for pretty cheap.