Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Fixing fiberglass bumper (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/276031-fixing-fiberglass-bumper.html)

BlackKnight008 08-24-2006 06:21 PM

Fixing fiberglass bumper

K Fiberglass question this is not the normal trunk questions, I have the r34 front bumper--fiberglass-- it cracked I want to know if when I fix it is it possible to re-enforce the entire kit with another layer of fiberglass so as to lessen the problem of cracks? Would it help at all?

Don't worry I searched but all i came up with was fiberglassing your trunk

Nyte 08-24-2006 06:46 PM

Yeahh...Thats what happens when you get a new bumper that is fiberglassed. its wayy to fragilem, you should've spent the extra cash gotten a Poly urethane r34 front bumper. thats all I got to say, dunno bout fixing it. just go to a bodyshop and ask them if they repair fiberglasses body pieces. but really, if you get any fiberglassed body parts it should be at least the side and rear. and the front should be urethane because of speed bumps and pot holes etc.

Christian Calim 08-24-2006 07:16 PM

ive had my fiberglass kit for more than a year and a half and in perfect condition. most of the time when people crack their kits is cause they hit it towards the ground or something.

For your info fiberglass is just a start to take care of cracks. Make sure you do the inside part of the kit as well because doing the front only may not hold up well depending on driving conditions. First put fiberglass on the front and back then sand down to make it nice and smooth and add some bondo on top of that then sand again to its smoothest to top it all. then take it to the shop to get it painted. Other wise if you have the money just take it to the shop and have them do it. Als it takes is time and dedication when working with fiberglass.

Note: dont use too much bondo!

BlackKnight008 08-24-2006 10:04 PM

yea i dont have the cash and so I am doing the repair myself i wanted to see if it was possible to re enforce the entire bumper by adding more fiberglass to the back of it to make it thicker and a bit more stable, and I am pretty sure they dont make r34 urethane bumpers r33 they do but not r34

RedDragon333 08-24-2006 10:38 PM

they do make the R34 bumpers in urethane but i wouldnt really do much w/ the FG one you got other than repair it. It wont do that much good. I think you can find the urethane R34 on ebay.

BlackKnight008 08-24-2006 10:58 PM

i feel that if i buy one on ebay it probaly wont fit lol

Nyte 08-24-2006 11:40 PM

I know they have one, i used to have the link. but i forgot what site. it was like $850 though, but it was for the whole kit made out of urethane. Just gotta search around.

BlackKnight008 08-24-2006 11:43 PM

yea but I would rather drop that money on a turbo then on a body kit...

MY 420 POST btw and I found something to spend my user points on finally ;)