Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   My Civic=totaled (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/257887-my-civic-totaled.html)

Metallica454 04-19-2006 02:46 PM

My Civic=totaled

Today at 11:37 I was coming home early from work and got in an accident. I was driving dow the road with a Chevy Tracker in front of me going about 45. I look down to get my CD case and BAM! Next thing I know I'm looking at a deployed airbag and that chemical dust smell. After I collected myself I jumped out and checked on the other car. I ask her if she's ok and she shoved her cell phone in my face saying "call my husband." I said you should do that, but she put her hand on her head and started swaying, and groaning about how her neck hurt. I was thinking oh this is friggin' great. Within only two minutes her husband was on the scene (that was fast). He was called after 911 but got here first. I find out from witnesses that some guy in a Grand Am slammed on his breakes in front of her probably looking for the road he needed to turn on. He kept going, never stopped. Anyways, the EMTs took the lady away on a stretcher because they cant take any chances (this wasnt shaping out good). After all the mess was taken care of I get a $118 Careless Driving Ticket. It technically was my fault since I did the rearending. State Farm hasnt said yet (the Adjuster needs to see the car) but it'll get totaled. I'm not sure how they work it, but thank God my car is paid off and I hope that lady doesnt decide "Hey, I can get money off this guy."

grncivic2001 04-19-2006 02:51 PM

damn that sucks sry man just leave the cd case alone damn lol jk glade everyone is ok

DDragon7 04-19-2006 03:01 PM

Damn, I hate those stupid people who suddenly slams on their brakes.

teg91ls 04-19-2006 03:15 PM

yep, the law is (atleast in pa) that if someone slams on their brakes and you hit them, its still your fault because the law is you have to have "control of the vehicle at all times"

It happened to me once, i hit someone hard, luckily, it was my moms car not mine lol, and the person i hit was driving a big ole buick and i was in a hundai, so the buicks bumpers was just scratched and the hundai was all jacked up. lesson learned. NEVER look down because people will stop on a dime for no reason sometimes.

SODJAZERO 04-19-2006 07:18 PM

that sux man, sorry to hear that. . .

gearbox 04-19-2006 07:25 PM

ya it sucks but people are dumb. always gotta watch out but even without the cd case i think you would've still had no way out.

drive_fast_dail 04-19-2006 07:30 PM

Yeah that really blows. Women drivers overeacting. But yeah you gotta pay attention never know where someones gonna do shit like that.

Supa_Fli 04-19-2006 07:53 PM

glad to hear that everyone walked away. happened to me once trying to holla at some girl man i was pissed but i learned that aint nothing worth my car... hope all works out

blackBDMcivicLX 04-19-2006 09:19 PM

Damn that sucks.
Ya as teg91ls said about the PA law, its super gay. My friend got rear ended by an old man doing around 45, while he was sitting at a red light with 2 or 3 cars in front of him. All cars were damaged by the domino effect. Since it was only the old mans fault, they had to sue each other going back the line until it got to him. like person in front sued the person that hit them, then that person sued the person that hit them for what they were getting sued for plus there damages and so on til it all hit the old man. Man its ****ed up.
But the brake slamming is good for insurance fraud though! :tdown:

soccer1cb 04-19-2006 10:02 PM

Sorry to hear it man....If you plan on buying another 7th gen i would jack all the stuff off of the totalled one, well everything that isnt totalled. Good luck with everything

Metallica454 04-20-2006 02:16 PM

I wanted to take the wheels, factory CD player and the spoiler but after I talked to my adjuster if they total it I cant do that. What happens is State Farm basically buys my car from me. I give them the title and they give me a check. If I jack the stuff I want from it, it will drastically reduce the value of my car. As it stands, if they total it I should get $10,000-$12,000. That the KBB value of an 03 Civic EX coupe. As soon as I get to see my car in the impound lot I'll take pics and post them up.

02BLKCIVIC 04-20-2006 02:36 PM

This thread is usless without pics!

Metallica454 04-21-2006 11:37 AM

My Civic=Totaled *update*

I talked to my claims adjuster and the damn lady is sueing. Not, me but the insurance company. Of course her attorney is asking for the max (my coverage is up to $50,000 so he's asking $50,000). My adjuster assured me that I wont have to worry about anything that he'll take care of it and probably knock it down to less that half of that all of which my insurance company will take care of. What really pisses me off is she only suffered soft tissue injuries which her Personal Injury Protection covered AND her medical insurance will cover so it's not like she's sueing because she cant afford the bills, she just wants the money so she can buy an effing BMW. If my adjuster doesnt give any money because she was covered she could take this to litigation and get my family involved. I was pissed that this could happen but he said he's dealt with crazies like her and will knock the demands down enough where after any extra medical fees are paid and her attorney gets his cut, she'll be lucky if she can buy a Happy Meal from it all. I can't stand how immoral and unethical people are.:_disgust:

KINGCHILE 04-21-2006 11:43 AM

I Think Ive Seen A Car Comercial With Your Situation For An Insurance Agency.

YOUR GONNA END UP PAYING FOR IT ALL. IVE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT. YOUR THE AT FAULT DRIVER AND THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO, SORRY TO SAY. BE READY TO PAY A LITTLE MORE FOR INSURANCE.

a4turboss 04-21-2006 11:55 AM

that bitch will get what she deserves dont worry what comes around goes around hopefully she gets worses what a whore people are so ignorant dont they know they could make a whole family go broke because they want money what ingorant *******s

Hurts2bStock 04-21-2006 12:39 PM

Metallica454, I'm glad your alright and your insurance is good.

Originally Posted by a4turboss
that bitch will get what she deserves dont worry what comes around goes around hopefully she gets worses what a whore people are so ignorant dont they know they could make a whole family go broke because they want money what ingorant *******s

WTF?....she already got rear-ended, I mean she was able to stop for the car in front......I just have to say first off I happen to like Metallica454.....but no sympathy for him in this case........think of how pissed you would be if all of a sudden your car is caved in in the back of your ride (will never drive the same after), and you have to miss work to go doctors apointments.......I've been rear ended, my back and neck still go out almost 9years later from it.

In short I don't get how hard it is not to drive into other people, Ive driven well over half a million klm's in my life and never even come close to hitting another car, and I drive super fast everywhere I go.

Metallica454 04-21-2006 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
Metallica454, I'm glad your alright and your insurance is good.

WTF?....she already got rear-ended, I mean she was able to stop for the car in front......I just have to say first off I happen to like Metallica454.....but no sympathy for him in this case........think of how pissed you would be if all of a sudden your car is caved in in the back of your ride (will never drive the same after), and you have to miss work to go doctors apointments.......I've been rear ended, my back and neck still go out almost 9years later from it.

In short I don't get how hard it is not to drive into other people, Ive driven well over half a million klm's in my life and never even come close to hitting another car, and I drive super fast everywhere I go.

Hold on there buddy. 3 things: She did not miss work or have to go the all these appointments. She was seen that day and released later on with a clean bill of health. Secondly, you are not invincible and do not have control over what happens. Had I not looked down at my CD case at JUST the right time I would have been able to stop as well. It's just bad timing. You cannot sit there and tell me you have never taken your eyes of the road for a second or two. Thats all it takes. You could end up eating those words. Anything can happen. You are not invincible. Finally, sueing is NOT the answer because you are pissed off. That's where morals and ethics come in to play. I have a wife and kid and it is very possible for her to exaggerate her neck pain and take me for all I'm worth putting my daughter and wife in a dump and effectively destroying my life. She was not severly injured, she missed no work, all her medical is taken care of, her car is repairable, all she wants is to make money. They are called accidents for a reason.

Sinisterdexter 04-21-2006 02:08 PM

When I got into the accident with my Cavalier, it was ruled as my fault(Failure to yield) but the woman in the other car never claimed to the cops that she was injured... It wasn't on the police report or anything. About a month later I get a notice saying that I'm being sued for a personal injury that I inflicted on her through the accident.

Turns out she went to the doctor a full THREE weeks after getting in the accident and is now suing for lost time. The kicker is, I personally know the woman(she is a family friend to be exact) and know for a fact that she didn't lose a days worth of work and that she wasn't injured.

Needless to say, we aren't friends with that person anymore.

Hurts2bStock 04-21-2006 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica454
Hold on there buddy. 3 things: She did not miss work or have to go the all these appointments. She was seen that day and released later on with a clean bill of health. Secondly, you are not invincible and do not have control over what happens. Had I not looked down at my CD case at JUST the right time I would have been able to stop as well. It's just bad timing. You cannot sit there and tell me you have never taken your eyes of the road for a second or two. Thats all it takes. You could end up eating those words. Anything can happen. You are not invincible. Finally, sueing is NOT the answer because you are pissed off. That's where morals and ethics come in to play. I have a wife and kid and it is very possible for her to exaggerate her neck pain and take me for all I'm worth putting my daughter and wife in a dump and effectively destroying my life. She was not severly injured, she missed no work, all her medical is taken care of, her car is repairable, all she wants is to make money. They are called accidents for a reason.

Well lucky for me I've never had to knock on wood....why where you driving so close, that a one second look at a CD and its all over?. Just so you know I never take my eyes off the road, I take driving very seriously, its kinda a important when you have the ability to inflict a hundred thousand pounds of force into someones face......I always feel around for stuff and never take my eyes off the road.

And also about the money, if you offer me $25,000 to have you write off your car into the back of mine, I would decline that offer, you ****ed her up no mater if she lost work or not, she did nothing to deserve you hitting her. She's not sueing you she's sueing State Farm, and their not going out of business anytime soon.

Also I know your goona say well when people sue the rates go up, but how could they sue if you don't ram the shit out of their car in the firts place.

Ask anyone here thats had someone hit them and fu(k up their car just enough to not have it writen off, they will tell you that there car dosn't drive like it used to, it rattles in tones of spots with the stereo on etc.

Its way easier than ya think to not drive into people

Metallica454 04-21-2006 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
Well lucky for me I've never had to knock on wood....why where you driving so close, that a one second look at a CD and its all over?. Just so you know I never take my eyes off the road, I take driving very seriously, its kinda a important when you have the ability to inflict a hundred thousand pounds of force into someones face......I always feel around for stuff and never take my eyes off the road.

And also about the money, if you offer me $25,000 to have you write off your car into the back of mine, I would decline that offer, you ****ed her up no mater if she lost work or not, she did nothing to deserve you hitting her. She's not sueing you she's sueing State Farm, and their not going out of business anytime soon.

Also I know your goona say well when people sue the rates go up, but how could they sue if you don't ram the shit out of their car in the firts place.

Ask anyone here thats had someone hit them and fu(k up their car just enough to not have it writen off, they will tell you that there car dosn't drive like it used to, it rattles in tones of spots with the stereo on etc.

Its way easier than ya think to not drive into people

I think its time for you to stop talking. I did not hit her on purpose. **** you I never said its hard not to drive into people. In a car traveling 45 mph, it covers a distance of about 65 feet in 1 second. So if I wasnt looking away I would have 65 extra feet of stopping distance and a lot more reaction time. Possibly enough to swerve. But you know what. You werent there, so stop acting like Mr. Perfect. You've ****ed up in your life somewhere just like everyone has. Bottom line is: It was an accident. She's fine, I'm fine, both our insurance covers our losses so there should be absolutely no reason to sue except for spite, which is immature and unethical.

blackBDMcivicLX 04-21-2006 06:55 PM

I don't want to get in the middle of an arguement but EVERYONE takes their eyes off the road. Him looking at his cd book is the same as looking in a rear view mirror or checking your blind spot. He just happened to luck out and it was the book.
And there will always be people sueing for fake injuries. It's just the way of life. Pretty much everyone only cares about themselves and do what they can to get money.
Hopefully everything will work out for you. Keep up posted.

cwo715 04-21-2006 07:22 PM

Call these people up, Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman and Dicker. # 1 law firm in the nation and # 2 world wide

Metallica454 04-22-2006 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by cwo715
Call these people up, Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman and Dicker. # 1 law firm in the nation and # 2 world wide

Yeah and it probably costs $5,000 just to talk to them :lol:
Thanks for your support everyone. Next week I should see my car in the impound lot for the first time. I'll take my camera and post pics.

XxSoVeReiGNxX 04-22-2006 07:09 AM

glad you're ok man. how bad was the damage on her suv?

Chevy tracker:
https://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3236/tracker5ol.jpg
how does someone in that, get hurt so badly, even when your car was the one totaled? Seriously some greedy people out there.

i seriously hate that "last person that hits gets the fall" rule. Gratefully i have not been in that situation yet (knocks on wood)

oh yeah, something similar happened to my sister.

my sister was backing nice and slow out of a mall parking space and all of a sudden one of those huge ass boat car oldsmobiles (cracked whitewalls, rust panels, and everything) came outta nowhere. luckily both were going real slow so the only damage was a couple scratches on my sister's Rav4 spare tire cover.

here's the catch. They agreed not to take any action since there was no damage but exchanged info anyway. 2 weeks later we get a call about back pains and that's she's looking for money!

when the inspectors came to hear my sister's side of the story and saw the damage on my sister rav4, they dismissed the case. lololol the only thing lady got out of it was increased insurance rate, but my sister did as well.

fcuking some people need to die i swear.

blackBDMcivicLX 04-22-2006 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by XxSoVeReiGNxX
fcuking some people need to die i swear.

:tup: :tup: :tup: I'm with you on that. Just for that, have a :_beer: and some rep. +1

drive_fast_dail 04-22-2006 11:01 AM

Im sure your insurance is going to push the price they are asking down a bunch, but regardless they are going to settle. They just do whats easiest. That blows cause your insurance is going to go up and they probably wont care. I hate people like that, i bet shes okay and shes just getting all the money she can. A civic is relatively light and has good crush zones, you would really have to hit her hard to cause serious injury. Sure you hit her and its your fault, but theres such a thing as being a decent person. The whole situation sucks, I hope it works out for you.

tinman 04-22-2006 11:35 AM

Well, I read the whole thing and have only this to say:

Hope your CD was worth it. Flame me all you want, but it's people like you that get distracted doing other things in their cars that scare me the most in life. Yeah, I used to drive like a fool too. But I did take defensive drivers courses. Had to when I worked for the state. I don't regret it one bit. I can control what is in front of me, but not the person behind me on the cell, fumbling for stuff, shaving, jacking off... you name it. Bottom line is that when you drive, you NEVER take your eyes off the road.

It sucks, but life goes on and maybe you learned a lesson. Get a CD changer and load it before you drive. And, no, I do NOT answer my cell phone when I drive. Crazy, huh?

Accident and ticket free for over 20 years!

Oh yeah... the same thing happened to my young brother... his insurance DOUBLED. He was the last person in a chain reaction crash on a flooded freeway. Some woman in an SUV saw a large puddle and slammed on her brakes. SHE of course wasn't at fault. My brothers fault was attempting to stop long enough that the person BEHIND him wouldn't hit. The guy didn't, but my brother ate the trailer hitch of the SUV in front of him. No damage to said SUV, but insurance saw this as the perfect opportunity to rape him anyway. I told him to just slam on it next time and let the guy behind him worry about it.

Anyway, take it as you wish. You shouldn't make excuses for YOU looking for a CD, and this could happen anyway.... bla bla. Just learn from it and keep your eyes where they belong.

Metallica454 04-22-2006 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by tinman
Well, I read the whole thing and have only this to say:

Hope your CD was worth it. Flame me all you want, but it's people like you that get distracted doing other things in their cars that scare me the most in life. Yeah, I used to drive like a fool too. But I did take defensive drivers courses. Had to when I worked for the state. I don't regret it one bit. I can control what is in front of me, but not the person behind me on the cell, fumbling for stuff, shaving, jacking off... you name it. Bottom line is that when you drive, you NEVER take your eyes off the road.

It sucks, but life goes on and maybe you learned a lesson. Get a CD changer and load it before you drive. And, no, I do NOT answer my cell phone when I drive. Crazy, huh?

Accident and ticket free for over 20 years!

Oh yeah... the same thing happened to my young brother... his insurance DOUBLED. He was the last person in a chain reaction crash on a flooded freeway. Some woman in an SUV saw a large puddle and slammed on her brakes. SHE of course wasn't at fault. My brothers fault was attempting to stop long enough that the person BEHIND him wouldn't hit. The guy didn't, but my brother ate the trailer hitch of the SUV in front of him. No damage to said SUV, but insurance saw this as the perfect opportunity to rape him anyway. I told him to just slam on it next time and let the guy behind him worry about it.

Anyway, take it as you wish. You shouldn't make excuses for YOU looking for a CD, and this could happen anyway.... bla bla. Just learn from it and keep your eyes where they belong.

So are you saying you never check over your shoulder to look at your blind spot when you pass? Do you never look in your mirrors? You never look at what radio station you turned it too? Everyone takes their eyes off for something. If I checked my blindspot at that time the outcome wouldnt have been any different. Think next time.

KINGCHILE 04-22-2006 02:57 PM

You Were Obviously Following Too Close. If You Had The Proper Spacing From Your Car To The Other, You Would Of Had Plenty Of Reaction Time To Hit The Breaks If All You Looked Away For Was A Second. There Are Many Variables To The Accident That Are Against You. Plus All Injurys Dont Show Up Immediatly. You Have To Think That Your Negligence Led To The Accident.

tinman 04-22-2006 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica454
So are you saying you never check over your shoulder to look at your blind spot when you pass? Do you never look in your mirrors? You never look at what radio station you turned it too? Everyone takes their eyes off for something. If I checked my blindspot at that time the outcome wouldnt have been any different. Think next time.

I think all the time, that's why I have avoided some real good accidents. Like the lady in a volvo wagon making a new lane right next to me... I saw her in my peripheral vision and reacted fast enough to keep her from just plowing into my door on the freeway. She just moved over, not seeing anything. No man... driving is an artform that demands more attention than you think, and you need to be psychic half the time.

Don't make up excuses.. if this or if that. It happened... move on, and become better.