Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Is a 2005 civic coupe DX worth racing? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/256154-2005-civic-coupe-dx-worth-racing.html)

civ11 04-08-2006 06:26 PM

Is a 2005 civic coupe DX worth racing?

I recently was thinking about spending money on performance parts (not on stuff like body kits, lights, etc.) but.... seeing my civic is the DX edition (I think that is the cheapest civic haha).... would it be worth it? or should I myself the money?

P.S. I am a newbie when it comes to cars and racing, but I'm willing to do a lot of research to start getting into it.

Slow Gold 04-08-2006 06:27 PM

save your money.

EuroEMII 04-08-2006 07:01 PM

If you race it against another civic dx, then it is worth racing, otherwise no...

tuner04civic 04-08-2006 07:07 PM

unless you swap it out or go forced induction it will always be slow

SinaloaCivic 04-08-2006 07:08 PM

^^^^ true, i wasted $2,000 of my saved hard earned money for 4 WHP.......when i should have saved it more for a swap, but hey,m live and learn.....but u just cant beat the gas mileage :-D

-PeTeY!! ::RedlinedEM2::

Cptn. Slow 04-08-2006 07:10 PM

if you are committed then swap, if not then save your money and trade up later on

Touge Whore 04-08-2006 07:56 PM

Yeah....it all depends on your budget though. My car is extremely competetive and fun to drive. Best thing you can do now is research, and while you research save every penny for either F/I or K-swap. ....read up in the FAQ's.

01HonderCivic 04-08-2006 08:07 PM

D17 Civic != Racecar.

03hce 04-08-2006 08:47 PM

If you wanna be the fastest and win competitions then no! But if you wanna race for fun... do what you want and have fun!

Draven2 04-08-2006 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by SinaloaCivic
^^^^ true, i wasted $2,000 of my saved hard earned money for 4 WHP.......when i should have saved it more for a swap, but hey,m live and learn.....but u just cant beat the gas mileage :-D

-PeTeY!! ::RedlinedEM2::

WHAT IN THE HELL!?!?

LiKEaFeRiO 04-09-2006 12:49 AM

YES it is worth racing.

All these people are talking about driving straight.

Invest in some suspension upgrades and start autox-ing by finding a SCCA Solo2 event near you.
You'll have more (legal) fun than you've had your entire life.

boxcarracer 04-09-2006 02:11 AM

i giggled at the tittle.....research please..type turbos swaps hp gains random stuff like that and look up stuff O_O ...DX worth racing ...giggle giggle

R1Style 04-09-2006 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
YES it is worth racing.

Invest in some suspension upgrades and start autox-ing by finding a SCCA Solo2 event near you.

exactly :tup:

tuner04civic 04-09-2006 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
YES it is worth racing.

Originally Posted by R1Style
exactly :tup:

i will third that!

Alex1 04-09-2006 03:37 PM

Turbo it, I promise you it will be worth racing!

EuroEMII 04-09-2006 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Alex1
Turbo it, I promise you it will be worth racing!

How much whp would you make if you turbo a '05 dx?

Curiouz_G 04-09-2006 03:46 PM

lol your SN is euroemII and you live in canada :giggle: . and EMII's arent euros btw. but as for your question, are you looking for straight line power or cornering? from what i can tell, your looking for power. if you are, get a N20 kit and start sprayin.

diskreet 04-09-2006 03:56 PM

if its a civic... its not going to be cost worthy to race it. For the amount of money you would spend to make a civic even quick, you could get a much nicer car and make it fast.

If you want straight line speed, get an engine swap and turbo, or get a different car for cheaper and a built/turbo motor. All for less than the civic itself.
If you want to corner, get a different car that isnt FWD as FWD is bad for getting the balance of a car right

EuroEMII 04-09-2006 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
lol your SN is euroemII and you live in canada :giggle: . and EMII's arent euros btw.

lol
euro=where I am originally from, emII=the car that I own

but as for your question, are you looking for straight line power or cornering? from what i can tell, your looking for power. if you are, get a N20 kit and start sprayin.
What I am looking for is to give the dx a little more kick so when some guy in a lancer or sunfire pulls up i can smoke him no prob...i don't want to do NOS so i was thinking if I can get a decent gain from turbo that would be the way to go...the car was cheap so I have a few grand to spend, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on a cheap car, so swaps and stuff are out of the question...thats why I am asking how much power I can gain from turbo...

diskreet 04-09-2006 03:59 PM

the only way to get any power w/o nos or swap is to turbo. And turboing is going to cost about as much as a motor swap. If you want a faster car, get a faster car. sorry

s0ltker 04-09-2006 04:05 PM

this topic is stupid...to make any car fast, it's gonna cost some money. There's really no such thing as cheap speed (besides n2o,even that isnt fast all the time). Whenever you what a car faster, its going to cost some money. Unless your happy with a high 14-15 sec car. (which isnt fast)

jrb121180 04-09-2006 04:14 PM

its your car. do whatever makes you smile

EuroEMII 04-09-2006 04:23 PM

I don't get people on this site, someone asks a question but instead of getting a straight answer all they get is attitude.

RHCP0801 04-09-2006 04:27 PM

cause these questions have been answered millions of times and it gets very annoying when someone posts these stupid threads....its really not that hard to click on the search button and look, or even at the bottom of this thread, there are always links to other threads that are bascailly identical, if you want a fast civic all you can do is NOS turbo or engine swap which has been said like 10 times in this thread already :mad: :rtfm:

01HonderCivic 04-09-2006 04:34 PM

Not only that, but think about it. If Civics were meant to be race cars, then they'd be faster from the factory. And wouldn't get 38 MPG. I remember seeing in someone's sig that said something like...Modding a 7th gen to be fast is dumb, That'd be like modding a Mustang to get better gas mileage

EuroEMII 04-09-2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by RHCP0801
cause these questions have been answered millions of times and it gets very annoying when someone posts these stupid threads....its really not that hard to click on the search button and look, or even at the bottom of this thread, there are always links to other threads that are bascailly identical, if you want a fast civic all you can do is NOS turbo or engine swap which has been said like 10 times in this thread already :mad: :rtfm:

I didn't ask how to make my civic super fast, I asked what would happen if I get a turbo...so far no one has said how much power can be gained, all I hear is do this or do that...So what if these questions have been answered, not everyone has been around for five years, they should be allowed to start threads if they want...if there is someone who wants to answer their question then they can, if not no one is forcing them to say anything...

jrb121180 04-09-2006 04:38 PM

ah a philosopher. never thought about it like that.

EuroEMII 04-09-2006 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrb121180
ah a philosopher. never thought about it like that.

lol :)

diskreet 04-09-2006 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Not only that, but think about it. If Civics were meant to be race cars, then they'd be faster from the factory. And wouldn't get 38 MPG. I remember seeing in someone's sig that said something like...Modding a 7th gen to be fast is dumb, That'd be like modding a Mustang to get better gas mileage

but mustangs aren't really fast AND get bad gas mileage. You are implying they are at least fast.

DDragon7 04-09-2006 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by EuroEMII
I didn't ask how to make my civic super fast, I asked what would happen if I get a turbo...so far no one has said how much power can be gained, all I hear is do this or do that...So what if these questions have been answered, not everyone has been around for five years, they should be allowed to start threads if they want...if there is someone who wants to answer their question then they can, if not no one is forcing them to say anything...

Your answer can be found in the Forced Induction section of the forum. It depends on how you build your engine and your turbo setup. And off the top of my head from about 150 to 500hp. :shrug: