Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   just got my kaminari kit...need help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/253344-just-got-my-kaminari-kit-need-help.html)

tuan25000 03-23-2006 10:23 AM

just got my kaminari kit...need help

hey guys... i just picked up my kaminari kit for my sedan. :) anyways... i brought it to a local paint shop around here and I got quoted for 1000 bucks for paint and prep work :_doh: what i was thinking was maybe i should do the prep work myself and just get it painted which would make it cheaper and save me some money. by the way... im on a low budget right now because of school. So what prep work could be done before i take it to the paint shop? thanks.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6...03479kc.th.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5...03485kp.th.jpg

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7...03446qb.th.jpg

drew22mader 03-23-2006 10:34 AM

$1000!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! How does your ass feel? Cause if you do that your getting raped. It cost me $300 to get mine painted. A little cheaper cause I know him, You shouldn't pay anymore than $500 to get it painted. Hell my car is Red and that is most expensive paint you can buy for stock. $1000 is wayyy wayyyy wayy tooo much!

tuan25000 03-23-2006 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by drew22mader
$1000!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! How does your ass feel? Cause if you do that your getting raped. It cost me $300 to get mine painted. A little cheaper cause I know him, You shouldn't pay anymore than $500 to get it painted. Hell my car is Red and that is most expensive paint you can buy for stock. $1000 is wayyy wayyyy wayy tooo much!

yea its 1000 canadian dollars lol...but its still way too much. he told me it would cost 1000 because of the prep work... it needs sanding and priming :shrug:

Tragedy 03-23-2006 10:39 AM

^^ I agree. Maybe the guy thought you had a full body kit. Im paying more than 1k for a full kit install...so im not sure how that works out in canadian.... either way its a lot less work to sand/prep a lip kit than a full kit.

mndthegap1 03-23-2006 10:42 AM

is a little high if its not a complete kit
a full kit would be about right for full bumper replacements in front and rear would be about a grand.
but just for lip yeah, 5-600
not sure what the break down is for 1000 canadian to us
but if its about 5-600 then its about right.

eye_see_you 03-23-2006 11:08 AM

you could of purchased my kit for a deal and had money for paint

mag05ex 03-23-2006 12:03 PM

Ouch............. talk about being raped....... look around man, you can find a better deal, but if you know how to prep, go for it, save some money, but make sure you do it right the first time, or your gonna be spending more money in the long run.
Blake

R1Style 03-23-2006 03:25 PM

try taking it to some other shops to get more quotes... a g-note is really high to prep/paint a kit.

btw... always test fit all pieces before you actually paint it.

white2K2EX 03-23-2006 03:30 PM

$1,000 Canadian is about $857 using today's exchange rate.

I wouldn't pay more than $700 US dollars (816 Canadian).

Shifty 03-23-2006 03:47 PM

Oh man....tuan u are sooooo lost eh?

Hey tuan, dude i wouldnt recommend you do any prep work since you are a novice and dont know what you are doing. If the kit was fiberglass or abs plastic, then i would say go ahead sand, primer it. But its polyurethane and i would leave it up to the pros. Even the primer would need a flex agent for it to work properly.

I say shop around somemore and see what quotes you can get. And i know you are on a tight budget but remember, you get what you payed for.

P.S. I thought you said the kit was on its way to the shop already??

tuan25000 03-23-2006 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shifty
Oh man....tuan u are sooooo lost eh?

Hey tuan, dude i wouldnt recommend you do any prep work since you are a novice and dont know what you are doing. If the kit was fiberglass or abs plastic, then i would say go ahead sand, primer it. But its polyurethane and i would leave it up to the pros. Even the primer would need a flex agent for it to work properly.

I say shop around somemore and see what quotes you can get. And i know you are on a tight budget but remember, you get what you payed for.

P.S. I thought you said the kit was on its way to the shop already??

haha shuddup kennith lol...why u always gotta laugh at me for man... im a newb remember lol. But yea... i found a place already and i dont know if you know him or not but he's team_ruckus on tcc. i heard lotta good things about him and he does a great job :)

dru106 03-23-2006 08:20 PM

Most shops wont let you prep your own lip kit due to the unknown work and conditions its been through before it was brought to the shop. Only they will do the prep work. Urethane is really hard to paint cuz they need to add flex additives to make the paint stick and last without it peeling or cracking. I dunno but Ive taken my lip kit to get it painted to different shops and after 2-3 yrs of it with the lip on its starting to peel and crack even with a nice prep.....

billiardini 03-23-2006 08:48 PM

that is pretty high dude i also just got my kit in and got qouted for 700 for paint and install for my ralley red coupe... Im also from can( montreal) shop around dude im sure you can get better prices

blouisgod 03-23-2006 08:58 PM

put the pieces in your car and drive around one morning to a few places and have em give you an estimate. youll find one you like; a G is way to much, maybe if it needed a repaint, but not when its clean.

Civicman1988 03-23-2006 09:02 PM

1000.00 is way to high the dealership isnt that high

Mutha Fn FBM 85 03-24-2006 11:46 AM

the body shop around here offered to sand down my bodykit ( cuz its already painted and i gotta get it painted again ) and primer it and paint it for $400.........

EŽik 03-24-2006 11:50 AM

2 words. Shop Around.

hondoer27 03-24-2006 11:56 AM

First get some flexable sandable primer
second sand it smooth it my take a couple of coats of primer
take your time make sure it is nice and smooth

I would just paint it myself but I also do it for a living heh

If you have anyother Qs just ask

EŽik 03-24-2006 12:00 PM

^ If he's a novice at body work (I know I am) he might feel overwhelmed and afraid that he would mess up something. Don't wanna go that route. But you gotta start somewhere right??

hondoer27 03-24-2006 12:07 PM

It is pretty hard to screw up the primer stage

spray the primer then sand till you feel it is smooth then spray a second coat of primer with the second coat of primer you will be able to see if there is any bad body work. Just repeat these steps till you feel it is good.

hope that helps