Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Lost interest in modding 7thgen....... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/246965-lost-interest-modding-7thgen.html)

dru106 02-11-2006 12:34 AM

Lost interest in modding 7thgen.......

I bought my car on April of 2002 and have been a member here since Oct 02 and ever since my tranny went out I have totally lost interest in modding this car!! This is the worst civic ever made IMO..... I look back at this car and it just makes me mad!! How I pampered this car, washed it, mod it, spent so much $$ and just to have the tranny go out at 50k miles is really upsetting. I paid $2300 to repair the auto tranny and even now its still not working perfectly!!! When i put it in D the light doesnt go on on the cluster and it wouldnt move unless i wiggle the shifter a bit. I need to take it back... Im really just about ready to give up this car cuz i can already tell this rebuilt tranny isnt gonna last. I mean i can swap if I wanted to but do I really want to put another $6-7 on a civic?? My plans for next yr isnt set yet but im thinking of getting an Ek, EG hatch, or used RSX-S. What do you guys think i should do for next yr??

MajinB 02-11-2006 12:51 AM

wow ok. first, with 50k miles, your warranty should have covered whatever. modding a car=less car life. you took the risk. good luck with the new car

dru106 02-11-2006 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by MajinB
wow ok. first, with 50k miles, your warranty should have covered whatever. modding a car=less car life. you took the risk. good luck with the new car

Everything is stock engine and tranny wise. All i did was put rims, lowered and lip kit so i dunno how that could effect the tranny........

Da1lyDr1ver 02-11-2006 01:07 AM

dru's right, it doesnt matter what you do to the auto tranny on the 7thgen, they'll die out eventually. i say your best bet was to get a used tranny from a newer year ('04-'05). supposedly they have more bugs worked out (dont know if its true). i say just try to drive the car for as long as possible. if not, i'd probably get another car...

dp_yz713 02-11-2006 01:31 AM

sucks that you are losing interest, but i would say get a type s

tripledoublegs 02-11-2006 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by dp_yz713
sucks that you are losing interest, but i would say get a type s

yep, I would also get a type s. EGs and EKs are all over.

LiKEaFeRiO 02-11-2006 02:24 AM

Bleh...sell the car and get yourself a new ride.
I've been here 4+ years and almost 5 years with my 2001.
Car has almost 110,000 miles and I'm just about sick of it too.

I've had my auto tranny and motor mounts go out too but fortunately warranty fixed all of it.

dalaw 02-11-2006 03:01 AM

Wow, all these tranny problem threads are starting to worry me. My car is at 31k miles and i drive it pretty hard. Do you guys know if the 03 auto tranny is improved over the 01-02?

dp_yz713 02-11-2006 03:18 AM

i have an 02 auto on 57k and all is well too

D5cIvIc 02-11-2006 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by tripledoublegs
yep, I would also get a type s. EGs and EKs are all over.

you mean all over as in, everybody has them? Because if so, then you can also apply that to the type S. I see more Type S than the base model rsx

doctor 02-11-2006 05:00 AM

whoo hoo for manual trannies. 01' here and working beautifully. Then again I dont beat on it but Ive been here since the creation of this site and Im at the crossroads of getting a new car or doing the swap.

bigmurr 02-11-2006 05:54 AM

I have a manual trans and I used to drive it really hard when I was younger I know have about 66000 on it and it hasn't slipped once. Maybe you just got a lemon (transmission wise).
I also hear, and this is just an observation I heard, that people who beat up their cars seem to last them longer. It sometimes really seems that way.

civic01vtec 02-11-2006 06:03 AM

Same here, I lost interest over a year ago. Hell, I don't even wash my car or clean the interior anymore.

grncivic2001 02-11-2006 06:32 AM

i got my car and loved it, then i found out that it was'nt "vtec" and found out a lot of other things that are different than the older models. i was sad, but i had no choice but to keep it, cuz i got a loan on it. i washed it,cleaned the interior,babied the thing,then i started to race it, now its just getting old and i feel like getting a truck all jacked up and run over all the little people lol..... might trade my car (eclipse) in for a truck and give my honda to my g/f having a baby prob safer than the eclipse i got.

Probably losing interest in it because there really isnt all that much we can do to hondas 01-05. if they were more reliable and more moddifications we could do to it like the older models. i would keep it and mod the hell out of it, but some of the modds we have for it seem pointless to do like, cai not much gain. as for the latter models actually does inprove them alot more than it would to our cars, headers not much gain there either. if i get a car, its going to be a grand national 3.8L Turbo sweet ass. if i cant get one, ill get a truck chevy or dodge. i like how dodge's body style looks but i heard they are not that dependable. i dont know still throwing around ideas

civic01vtec 02-11-2006 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by grncivic2001
.... and give my honda to my g/f having a baby

I hope that it is a 4dr. I have a 2 dr and a 1 year old and it is hell getting her in and out of the car seat :yell:

civic01vtec 02-11-2006 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by grncivic2001
.... and give my honda to my g/f having a baby

I hope that it is a 4dr. I have a 2 dr and a 1 year old and it is hell getting her in and out of the car seat :yell:

grncivic2001 02-11-2006 06:50 AM

no its 2 dr and its not as bad as an eclipse. horrible getting a kid in and out of that damn thing. i hate eclipses

tarheel365 02-11-2006 07:13 AM

done w/ modding too! but shit always comes in phases...
when i first got the car i was like i'm doing all this shit to it.
then i started to learn to ride and i'm like i'm spending all my money on bikes now(helmets, jackets, etc). and i started hanging out on bike forums
but everytime riding season ends...i'm back on this forum lookin for shit to buy again and ideas.

so come springtime i'll prob be spending money on my bike again :)
i need a throttle cable and i prob need a new chain and some tires very soon. and a body shop to put on some paint.

gearbox 02-11-2006 08:18 AM

i hate mine now too but haven't lost interest somehow. I guess I figure get a new tranny and move on. Its a factory defect so no amount of taking care would stop it from breaking. And don't worry I've been talking to others and this problem goes beyond just civics. alot of cases its just that the newer cars aren't made as well.

Hayz 02-11-2006 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by dru106
I bought my car on April of 2002 and have been a member here since Oct 02 and ever since my tranny went out I have totally lost interest in modding this car!! This is the worst civic ever made IMO..... I look back at this car and it just makes me mad!! How I pampered this car, washed it, mod it, spent so much $$ and just to have the tranny go out at 50k miles is really upsetting. I paid $2300 to repair the auto tranny and even now its still not working perfectly!!! When i put it in D the light doesnt go on on the cluster and it wouldnt move unless i wiggle the shifter a bit. I need to take it back... Im really just about ready to give up this car cuz i can already tell this rebuilt tranny isnt gonna last. I mean i can swap if I wanted to but do I really want to put another $6-7 on a civic?? My plans for next yr isnt set yet but im thinking of getting an Ek, EG hatch, or used RSX-S. What do you guys think i should do for next yr??

I hate that your tranny is screwed up you have a hawt civic but if your set on a new car go with the RSX-S :tup:

MajinB 02-11-2006 09:09 AM

im not gonna be done till im broke. then ill make more money to mod.

kornsined 02-11-2006 10:01 AM

i definitely got bored of the modding after a year. althought i was about go rather then show. i was so disappointed with the fact that the 04/05 coupes look so great but are so slow. IMO they look better then the rsx's. luckily for me i got a job that paid good and fueled my moding desire. so as some of you may i got an a3 and i'm turboing that bitch.

after this, modding is done for me. it's time for a house and marriage. :)

mrDFWmechanic 02-11-2006 10:03 AM

get an eg hatch you can fine a good one for around 1 - 2 grand. bseries swaps have gone down in price since K swaps came out so picking up a dohc motor shouldnt be expensive

Cptn. Slow 02-11-2006 10:23 AM

If you buy a honda buy a manual. My family has a 98 Accord V6 and we went through two automatic trannys in a year's time

DDragon7 02-11-2006 12:09 PM

Reading this thread and hearing pple not modding anymore is depressing.

Mutha Fn FBM 85 02-11-2006 12:14 PM

what the heck dude your car is beautiful!! its one of the best cars here! i cant believe this..

cg95660 02-11-2006 12:25 PM

Well I have had mine for a year now. I have changed alot. I too drive it hard some times and baby it most of the time. But I always use the best oil and filters and change it early soon as it discolors a bit. But if you are done with it I am sorry to hear that. If no amount of repairing will make you like it again then I say go for some thing you knwo is good. The hatches are cool but I hate the interior its just so plain. The rsx would be nice cause its already swapped lol. I say go for the rsx........or an s2000!

Mutha Fn FBM 85 02-11-2006 12:34 PM

if you are serious about getting a new car get an rsx.. leather, 6spd, k20, hatchback..

01civicuh 02-11-2006 11:39 PM

jus do a motor swap buddy..haha...jus throw another 5G's, urs was the nicest 4dr ive seen...btw...you willing to part out some stuff...?? =D

dru106 02-12-2006 02:03 AM

Sorry for making a depressing thread lol..... yea, the RSX S is really nice!! Ive seen a couple of 03, 04 for $15k which isnt bad!!