Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   New member...quick questions.. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/246450-new-member-quick-questions.html)

Stayinstock 02-08-2006 09:46 AM

New member...quick questions..

Just got my '03 Civic LX from the Honda Dealership here in Austin.

****in' lovin it so far.

Got a couple questions for you guys that have owned your 7th gen longer than myself...

First off, I bought my car with 44k on it for 12,995 THAT INCLUDED the 7 year 100k powertrain but the dealership gave me free bumper to bumper 100k warranty upgrade (because of my nice down payment)!!!!

Now everything except the rubber is fully warrantied.

So. Anything I should know of that could be an issue? I've checked the recall list at OwnerLink and show nothing for my VIN. I heard the fuel senders are shitty, and some people talking about tranny issues (mines a manual though)

Anything else I should know or have done at 45k? I know this car interior, exterior and etc is pristine and also had HondaCare added to it at purchase.

Quick edit: I owned a '95 Accord LX for 6 years, with almost no issues. Starter, Alternator and Battery. Master cylinder soon to go bad, but it was vandalized thoroughly so I decided to trade it in instead of trying to fix the exterior. That car had 153k on it, and very few actual mechanic visits. I really hope my new Civic is gonna be as reliable. I've already read some horror stories on here, please reassure me guy!

cg95660 02-08-2006 10:00 AM

Other than being slow you should be fine. Btw like most of us you will prolly lower it and void a few of the warranties lol.

MajinB 02-08-2006 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by cg95660
Other than being slow you should be fine. Btw like most of us you will prolly lower it and void a few of the warranties lol.

slowness is never an issue. your car should be fine. IF you mod it, just do it right so you don't mess anything up. there are a SHITLOAD of FAQs you should read if your gonna change stuff up. BTW. welcome and post PICS:)

Stayinstock 02-08-2006 10:40 AM

I think my Accord bone stock had about 140, after a couple mods probably no more than 150 at the wheels.

The difference in speed isn't that noticeable, and I don't mind the SOHC non VTEC motor (as my Accord was non-VTEC also)

If I wanted to buy a car this size, that was fast, I would've bought a used Legacy 2.5T or WRX.

A couple simple things, pullys, good CAI, 4-2-1 header and good clean QUIET exhaust and that'll be just about everything I would ever need. Only thing is, I have such a fkkin nice warranty, why would I want to do anything like header/exhaust if my car's covered to 100k b2b.

Can someone point me to which forum holds the FAQ.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. Now tell me what problems I should look out for!! :rockon:

simplicated1979 02-08-2006 10:54 AM

hmmmmm...u got warranties...yes yes yes..that's the way to go. if ur worried about reliability don't do stuff to ur car you havn't researched. Take care of her and your well on ur way to 200-300k if u plan to keep it that long. Gluck...

Stayinstock 02-08-2006 11:08 AM

Dude, research isn't really the issue. I usually do most all maintenence and modfication to my car, both interior and engine.

I don't ever do anything to the exterior of my cars other than fill up the wheel wells with some 16-17" and wrap em up with some nice tires.

I'm just thinking though, I wonder what motor work the dealership would let me get away with? Err..even how to ask them without them redflagging me as someone who's gonna destroy his car with rice mods.

ragingSPAM 02-08-2006 11:18 AM

check for clutch petal squeak, driver side seat being loose, air trapped in the heater core making sloshing noises, front and back control arm bushings third brake light being out...uh other than that there is nothing i more i can think of yet...although there are a few TSB's out there...but nothing serious...as for modding i would suggest, oem style fog lights, oem lip kit, some 03 ex wheels, and if your ballsy than a drop

Stayinstock 02-08-2006 11:31 AM

Definately got clutch pedal squeek.

Probably a simple fix for that though.

One thing I didn't like was that they didn't change the cabin HEPA's out for me, and they stunk like mildew or someshit.

That was easy too, though.

I was thinking about putting a better flowing factory DOHC SI or EX muffler on, so as to avoid that stupid brrrrrrrruuuuuuup sound. That's what I did with my Accord.

simplicated1979 02-08-2006 11:37 AM

hmmmmm...I see what u mean. well i'm very careful with the work i did on my car. I actually had my Honda Dealer install my Greddy Evo 2, V2 Intake and an aem cam and pulley installed. none of my warranties were voided. They actually told me if i ever have ne probs. come back and they'll take care of it. I'm not going to the extreme and do more than my car can bear. I will be putting on a lip spoiler next week, next month i'm putting on some nice 17's with a lil drop and i'm done........then when i'm ready i'll do a swap after my stock engine does some time. dudddddeeee..i love my civic. love urs.

oh one more thing..all the minor issues can be fixed, and mostlikely covered under ur warranty, some dealers can be heavy dicks. Mine are awesome. again Gluck.

cg95660 02-08-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stayinstock
Dude, research isn't really the issue. I usually do most all maintenence and modfication to my car, both interior and engine.

I don't ever do anything to the exterior of my cars other than fill up the wheel wells with some 16-17" and wrap em up with some nice tires.

I'm just thinking though, I wonder what motor work the dealership would let me get away with? "Err..even how to ask them without them redflagging me as someone who's gonna destroy his car with rice mods."

Honestly any mod they start to get all stupid. I rolled up there with a cel they saw my little dc sports header and was like ohh well thats modified that could be your problem turns out i had a bad iat sensor.....nothing to do with the header. Guy was like this car has been modded........imo bolt ons should not affect the cars warranty but they are lame....its not like I took the engine apart and made it higher compression or some shit its just a bolt on.

thatsmrgimp2u 02-08-2006 11:53 AM

Uhm, i have a squeeky clutch petal too.... and im only at 6k.... What causes that??

Stayinstock 02-08-2006 12:10 PM

Nothing a lil panther piss can't fix.

CenZ 02-08-2006 12:17 PM

yeah, my cel was on and they wouldnt even look at my car cause of the CAI, and my cruise works when it feels like it, but they wont check it cause i have a sound system so i modified my electrical warrenty, i shouldnt have payed for the bullshit warrenty

thatsmrgimp2u 02-08-2006 12:41 PM

Magnison Moss act..... read it.... then slap them in the face with it. Then just slap them in the face cause it would be fun!

simplicated1979 02-08-2006 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CenZ
yeah, my cel was on and they wouldnt even look at my car cause of the CAI, and my cruise works when it feels like it, but they wont check it cause i have a sound system so i modified my electrical warrenty, i shouldnt have payed for the bullshit warrenty

hmmmmm...how the fubb u did that...?

Al Gore FTW 02-08-2006 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by CenZ

if you paid for the warranty, and haven't used it, then you can get a refund.

CenZ 02-09-2006 12:09 AM

nah i used it once or twice, like i got my seat fixed cause i felt like i was gunna fall out and i got little things fixed, and a new alt.