Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   *BUSTED! I caught the driver!* $1200 Received! Why does the world hate my car? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/234937-busted-i-caught-driver-1200-received-why-does-world-hate-my-car.html)

AggressiveAdam 11-14-2005 02:51 PM

*BUSTED! I caught the driver!* $1200 Received! Why does the world hate my car?

Final Update

Received $1200 in form of a certified cheque, which I brought right away to a bank who authroized it and deposited it hold free in my account.

Second Update

Today I got a call from Toronto Police, they said that they called the owner and the daughter admitted she was driving the car. She deined knowing about the damage but the officer said that numerous witnesses say that she stepped out of the car and observed the damage. The officer gave me the 2 phone numbers (which are 411 trackable, one on a farm outside of Ottawa "Juniper Farms" and one in Kemptville, outside of Ottawa. The cop also gave me her policy number but I wont be going through insurance. I talked to her today and she denied knowing about the damages.

I demanded $1200 as thats what the cop estimated. She said that was high but i told her it reflects my photocopy fee's tape fees, time I spent driving to the reporting center, the time it took to get all the witness statements. Not to mention Ill need a rental car while the car is in the paint shop.

I told her she has 48 hours to get the money togheter and to pay me in Cash or cash equivilent (money order, cert. cheque, or direct deposit to my bank) Her father is supposed to call me tonight becase "Daddy's paying for everything"

ahhhhh thank you honest :_bow: Ryerson (my uni's name) Students:_bow:

I am so lucky this happened on campus.

Update!

Last week I went around campus and posted 40 flyers. Sadly there was no response, I even managed to convince the city guy whos job it is to tear down the signs to not tear mine down. So yesterday I went Sunday night and COVERED campus with 100 bright green flyers offering cash rewards for tips. Today (the 2 week anniversary of this incident) I got a call from this girl who WITNESSED THE ACCIDENT. Both her and her friend witnessed it and can easily identify the driver, it was a young girl with brown hair and Im calling them later to get statements.

I called the police officer investigating the matter and he says with the description of the driver (provided he beleives my witnesses) he is going to rigerously persue this matter. He said the car is registered out of the Toronto area (postal code starts with N). He said if the guy is a jerk and doesnt identify who the driver was or plays the ignore game hes gonna send a cruiser to wait infront of his house and issue a fail to remain ticket and perhaps even an obstruction ticket (maybe). He said if the guy is nice he'll give me his info and we can discuss restitution.

The witnesses said "We dont want the cash reward, the driver was such a bitch we will gladly make a statement and go to court"

Good thing there some honest students around my campus.

on a side note the company whos responsible for the newspaper boxes that hit my car also offered to repaint my door. hmmm Things might acually be going good for adam...

Okay, I need to vent a little bit here. I just got my car repainted 3 stage pearl white last may/june. Now the reason for the topic is because today I Was sitting in class when I hear my car alarm go off, I think no big deal probably just a passing truck as I was parked on a busy street.

I go outside to find a note on my windsheild. It says "look at your front bumper, I saw the guy who hit you... Black SUV with the plates xxMLxx (will post rest of the plate later), phone number" well, I looked at my bumper and unfortunatly theres a HUGE black mark on the side of it along with about 2 inchs of paint chipping. :(

I call my insurance company and since my household has 4 no fault accidents already claimed if I claimed this one (which the deductable is $500 since its an accident and not comprehensive)my deductable would rise to $1000 making it even less worthy of going to the insurance company.

I reported it to the collission reporting center and they say there going to investigate. Even if they charge the dude with hit and run I wont see a penny from it. The officer said hes going to give me the adress so Im going to try and take him to small claims court and failing that some vigilante juctice. I know small claims wont work because I doubt theres anyway of proving whos driving. So I can only hope I see this guy around campus again.

Now let me list some more crap thats happened to me in the past 2 months

Yesterday - notice a dent from some people leaning on my car on saturday, no biggie it can pop out
Last thursday - While sitting on the street, two loosly chained newspaper boxes hit my car. Luckily those stupid stripes on the caught the newspaper boxes (there was 2) and there was only 1 small inch scratch and 1 half inch scratch. The newspaper company is considering paying to repaint my door.

My birthday (Oct 12) I bend my rim on one of the citys HUGE cuts in the road.

What I have learned? Its just not worth your car looking good. Cruel world indeed, even if I get the money for the front bumper theres no point in painting it now becuase of the brutal winter here in Toronto, which also means tons of rock chips.

grrrr, I hate driving a damaged car...

Thanks for the vent...

alberta_si 11-14-2005 03:02 PM

i feel your pain i got hit once and i was pissed, the cop came and started saying that i did a illigel pass, wich was bullshit so i was 100% responsable, so i decided to pay cash... turned put pretty good cuz after 6 months the guy never fixed his car so i went to see him and gave him shit and he gave me back my money... he knew he was responsable but the cop liked to give the resp. to the kid with a civic, insted to a bad driving minivan jerk

find the guy and make pay it sucks to sufer because of other peoples mistake!!!

DaddyFatSacks 11-14-2005 03:15 PM

You cann't keep a car perfect, it wo8uld cost you a ton to fix every dent and scratch. Thats why I give up on looks, always have living in NE.

AggressiveAdam 11-14-2005 03:46 PM

Ontario Marker 39ML62

Trying to find out of ML means maple leafs because i think this was a vanity plate as standard ontario markers are 4 + 3 characters

pic below

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/agg...3a.jpg&.src=ph

The ML does stand for Toronto Maple Leafs so if you EVER see a black suv with those tags, please feel free to put your keys to an alternate use. Ill gladly offer a reward.

Unfortunatly, I talked to the witness, he couldnt describe the guy driving so im probably Shit out of luck, hopefully the cops pull through on this one and give me an adress. I swear after i find out where this guy lives he wont be doing any more hit and runs

dp_yz713 11-14-2005 04:31 PM

dude i know how you feel, except i feel worse. i bought my vic from a friend of mine. he was at a party adn someone ran up and down the hood to the trunk.. well i bought it for dirt cheap and me, my dad, and my neighbor, who owns a body shop started to fix it. well after about a month and a half of bondo, and paint it was done. two weeks later we go out to a club, i come back and someone punched the hell out of it. its on top the rear side window in the roll over support so it cant be pulled out!! :shake:

ramcosca 11-14-2005 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by AgressiveAdam
please feel free to put your keys to an alternate use

:lol:
I got hit a couple months ago in a hit and run.
Bent my hood real ugly...
I've come to the conclusion it was a Volvo XC90 (by looking at all angles and points where it, whatever it was, touched... XC90 has some vertical bars running through the rear bumper... just like my hood has some dents... post pics soon).

To keep your car in perfect condition you need to keep it garaged all day and all night. Taking it out to the road makes it vulnerable to every kind of evil thing... just as us people get vulnerable.

Might sound a bit cruel... but nice paint job, by the way...

four twenty 11-14-2005 05:04 PM

that just plain sucks. ive been noticing tiny dents and scratches on my car as well. some even look like someone grabbed like a steel brush sponge or something and kinda rubbed my car in some places. i mean who the hell would go around an do that? its not that noticable since i have SSM paint but i mean come on whats the world coming too.

AggressiveAdam 11-14-2005 07:31 PM

lets not forget the root of the problem, he was driving an S.U.V

I bet you he was driving his dads and didnt know what the f*ck he was doing heres what the witness said

"Yeah I was about to cross the street when I saw him pull in, and Im like jeez that things not gonna make it, then I heard that aweful scraping sound. He turned his wheels WAYYY to early i saw it coming. The guy sat there for about 10 seconds and then drove off real fast. I got the plate for ya though"

Worst part is, this happened just before all the 11 o clock courses started so there was like at least 30 people who must have seen this and didnt bother thowing there number on the peice of paper. Having more then one witness always helps.

Then again people offered an intresting theory, they said that perhaps the dude who wrote the note was the one who did it and gave someone else's plate. Pluasable but i dont think it is that way in this situation.

Rufus 11-14-2005 07:34 PM

I see no pic....

CivicsRdBest 11-14-2005 07:44 PM

I feel your pain.

Someone hit my cousin's car while I was borrowing it. Someone else left a note on it and the insurance wouldn't cover it. I wish there were ways to make idiots responsible for their mistakes.

TeLLy 11-14-2005 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AggressiveAdam
Ontario Marker 39ML62

Trying to find out of ML means maple leafs because i think this was a vanity plate as standard ontario markers are 4 + 3 characters

pic below

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/agg...3a.jpg&.src=ph

The ML does stand for Toronto Maple Leafs so if you EVER see a black suv with those tags, please feel free to put your keys to an alternate use. Ill gladly offer a reward.

Unfortunatly, I talked to the witness, he couldnt describe the guy driving so im probably Shit out of luck, hopefully the cops pull through on this one and give me an adress. I swear after i find out where this guy lives he wont be doing any more hit and runs

OMG that sucks so hard man, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. You don't deserve this at all, especially after your rim incident. You got pm.

AggressiveAdam 11-14-2005 08:52 PM

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/agg.../ph//my_photos

In case the above link didnt work. I hate this stupid photo.yahoo crap that rogers gives me

Draven2 11-14-2005 08:56 PM

I got backed into last october (04) while I was at work, pass. side of the front bumper. luckily enough the woman that lived below me saw it happen, knew where I worked and came in to tell me. The guy drove off but she got the plate. turns out I used to work with the guys daughter so I knew who he was(there whole family's ****ed in the head.) Anyway, got that fixed and two months later a guy backed into my car in a util. van after he left my store. I didn't see it but I noticed that he was the only one who came anywhere near close enough to hit my car, so, when I went to lunch and noticed the damage I knew who had done it. The idiot sent his son back into my store the next day to return what he bought as he stayed parked out front in a different car. Unfortunately when I confronted him, he of course denied it so I still haven't gotten it fixed.

genx_7 11-14-2005 08:59 PM

hey at least someone was nice enough to be a good citizen. it would have sucked even more if no one saw it or cared.

AggressiveAdam 11-14-2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by genx_7
hey at least someone was nice enough to be a good citizen. it would have sucked even more if no one saw it or cared.

yeah having a plate is great and all, except that even if hes convicted of hit and run, theres still no restitution in place for me. That and the fact that at least and Im not exaggerating about this at least 30 people witnessed this (campus is very busy at this hour) and not more then one person stayed to leave a phone number. My witness didnt get a description of the driver, im sure others could have. If I had like 4 witnesses I would have so much of a stronger case.

Hit and runs are jokes, my neighbor was driving his porche (older but still nice carrerra) and there was a slow down ahead and everyone slammed there brakes. So he stopped fine no problem, some dude slams into him hard enough to send him into the car infront of him, which sent the car infront of him to the car infront of him. The guy ofcourse who started the chain reaction of accidents left the scene. Total including the porche and the run away driver were 5 cars. Luckily my neighbor managed to get a look at his plates and face.

Later he was taken into the police station and shown photos of 8 drivers (ever wonder what they do with your digitized license photo?) and was ask to select who was driving. He managed to succesfully identify him, he took the day off to go to court and get this

the hit and run driver got off with a $110 fine.

Justice, I think not. As soon as I find this dudes adress or spot his SUV around campus.... thats where the fun begins

gearbox 11-14-2005 09:51 PM

forget it man. i gave up on that a long time ago. my car is 3 shades of silver, tons of dings, and some scratches. Something will always happen. It just sucks that you have good paint and then they repaint part of it...well it will never ever match the rest of the car.

909 11-14-2005 10:13 PM

Ouch, it looks a lot bigger than I expected.
That really sucks Adam, Hope you find the bastard.

Draven2 11-14-2005 11:57 PM

Oh yea, I got backed into last week at work. And now the security guards don't want to do their job and review the ****ing tapes to find out who it was.

Draven2 11-14-2005 11:57 PM

Well, I don't know if they backed into me but they hit my rear bumper and scratched up my ****ing paint...

shroomster 11-15-2005 08:29 AM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...mbus1/183a.jpg
pic of Adam's bumper...

fact of life bro...sorry to hear it though...
SSm paint...
chips in p.r. and d.f. door handles from Wal-MArt carts
2 parallel scratches on d.r. from something
whole front bumper is scratched to hell on underside, and rock cuts and etc on it (it's getting replaced thanks to AAA accdient)
hood is nicked in like 4 places
nick in p.r. door mud strip if thats the name...that piece that is on bottom half of door that is just held on with strong ass tape..
blemishes on sideviews...

AggressiveAdam 11-15-2005 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shroomster
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...mbus1/183a.jpg
pic of Adam's bumper...

fact of life bro...sorry to hear it though...
SSm paint...
chips in p.r. and d.f. door handles from Wal-MArt carts
2 parallel scratches on d.r. from something
whole front bumper is scratched to hell on underside, and rock cuts and etc on it (it's getting replaced thanks to AAA accdient)
hood is nicked in like 4 places
nick in p.r. door mud strip if thats the name...that piece that is on bottom half of door that is just held on with strong ass tape..
blemishes on sideviews...

Thanks for hosting the image!
I managed to get off most of that black crap, Im starting to think I either got hit by a rubber / plastic bumper or a tire. I got all the black crap off the top of the bumper except for like a 2mm scratch. However the paint chip part is still there (obviosly) and theres scratch that goes from the headlight to the wheel well. Cars looking better but still pisses me off.

I used to love backing in to park, now i gotta do it front end so the car looks somewhat decent.

On the plus side talks continue between me and the company that let there newspaper boxes hit my car. Hopefully I can get a couple hundred bucks outta them for the door and that can go towards my paint shop expenses.

Im not worried about the color matching, I got a good body shop who has time and time again painted parts of mine and others people cars and I couldnt notice the paint difference.

CivicSky 11-16-2005 01:12 AM

People around hate me too! Look at these....
http://home.pchome.com.tw/personal/c...ge/civic01.JPG
A nearby body shop estimated $1500 of damages. I think I will just leave it or wait until someone hits me big again. Anyone knows any good body shop around 619/858 area?

Slow Gold 11-16-2005 01:18 AM

probly should put this out but my friend works for 911 dispatch and with a plate number i can give an address - payback is a mofo

ragingSPAM 11-16-2005 01:24 AM

ouch...this world hate my car too...dont have pix on this comp but i got a shit load of scratches on the front bumper/hood, was rear ended and creased up the bumper, hit a curb going about 40 because a tire popped and it caused $3800 worth of damage (had to replace subframe, knuckles, 3 rims, 3 tires, 4 hub caps)
another accident was when we rear ended a toyota pre runner tacoma, caused him $500 worth of damage us $2600 (hood, headlights, upper tie bar radiator core support, radiator, hood hinges, hood latch, grill) pain in the ass...more money has been spent fixing the car than modding it...i coulda had a K20 Swap with turbo for how much has been spent fixing it.... dunno why didnt trash the car...well it was all seaparte incidents and everything was easily repairable

joe6680 11-16-2005 01:56 AM

Hmmmm looking at the bumber you can try using a product called GS27. They advertise it as being the miracle scratch remover which I will be the first to say it does not do whatsoever, but I will admit its awesome at taking other people paint and tire scuffs off. I had bought it for its intended purposes to remove some scratches on my first car, which like I said it failed at miserably, but hey what the hell I've blown 15.00 on useless junk before no big deal. Well after I tried it and it didn't work I added it to the collection of other useless products that I've bought. Well it wasn't untill my first accident that I needed to give this product one last try. Some lady hit the front of my car leaving her paint and other blemishes all over my bumper. My first car fairly cheap so I had no collision and her car was in way worse shape then mine so I figured that was punishment enough. However, I hated those blemishes so I gave the GS27 one more shot and man what a job it did. Those scrapes and blemishes all but almost disappeared. It seems it's horrible at removing stuff on metal, but on the abs plastic bumpers it worked miracles. Just give it a shot.

Pitman 11-16-2005 12:29 PM

Ouch.

bucholzc 11-16-2005 01:01 PM

I lived in Milwaukee WI for about 1 ½ years and I hated every minute of it. Within the first two (2) months the neighbors downstairs who had about 6 motorcycles in various states of disrepair all over their half of the garage and engines, batteries and other cycle junk on my side. One morning before I forgot something in the house and backed the car out of the garage and backed it out in the ally (there is no traffic in the ally at 0230 in the morning so I was not worried about the car getting hit).

I got out and went into the house and grabbed what I forgot and I walked to the car looking at the passenger side of the car and there was this big greasy dent on the radius from the top to the side of the fender almost above the wheel well. This thing had to be about 1.5-2” in length and about 1” in width and .5-1” in depth. One or both of the jackasses who live in the lower unit of the duplex must have dropped something greasy and heavy on my car. I was parking my car on the right side of the garage (looking into it from the garage door) and they had all of there old cycle engines on the floor, batteries and other heavy crap on shelves. I parked the car very close to the wall to give them enough room to move around, but that would be where I went wrong. They may have needed to get something from that side of the garage, and instead of asking me to come down and move my car (I was home at the time); they tried to get it the selves and dropped it on my car.

blouisgod 11-16-2005 01:17 PM

damn that sucks. my gf's cougar which is now our daily driver got swiped in a parking lot all along the rear passenger .25 panel. estimate is 2000 to fix. imagine waking up to that. i hope you get that f*cker!!!!

fiatdale 11-16-2005 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=Shroomster} chips in p.r. and d.f. door handles from Wal-MArt carts
QUOTE]

The one place NEVER to park in. A Wal-Mart parking lot. That place houses the WORST door dings ever seen in history. One time I walked out, (I was in there for about an hour), came out to find 2 decent sided door dings on the passenger side, and one small one on the drivers side. That crap is just unbelievable. Some people just dont care at all about their own or other peoples property. Stupid people should be shot

shroomster 11-16-2005 08:26 PM

so tell me, where do I park if I work at Wal-MArt...cuz I do :rofl: