Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   if you were me... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/225300-if-you-were-me.html)

fullgrown 08-24-2005 12:54 PM

if you were me...

would any of you guys buy a miata? it's a '95 and it's close to 100k on mileage. it had some problems so the owner changed somethings in there. he told me that he changed the timing belt, alternator, spark plugs, water pump, changed the top cover and new radiator hoses. he's asking for $1500. worth buying it or just say no? before he changed all those, he once came over to my house, and when he left, after couple blocks, the car died.

Jrfish007 08-24-2005 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fullgrown
would any of you guys buy a miata? it's a '95 and it's close to 100k on mileage. it had some problems so the owner changed somethings in there. he told me that he changed the timing belt, alternator, spark plugs, water pump, changed the top cover and new radiator hoses. he's asking for $1500. worth buying it or just say no? before he changed all those, he once came over to my house, and when he left, after couple blocks, the car died.

If the car is still having problems after all that, your going to spend a bundle tring to trace the problem, it's probably somehting like a sensor or something, but figuring out which one is not easy.

Huh? 08-24-2005 01:01 PM

Not worth it, IMO. Especially since you saw that it had problems.

dirtySAMURAI 08-24-2005 01:07 PM

if the car still has problems then dont do it. i have a miata and it's GREAT! an absolute blast to drive and probably even more fun to drive the '95 considering they have the 1.8L engine (not my dinky 1.6L)

fullgrown 08-24-2005 01:27 PM

yeah, he says that the only thing that he has to change is the mass air flow (???) unit.
or i was thinking of buying a stick 93 jetta gts or gti (most likely not a gti, not sure) for $450. i just want a stick car that i can drive the sh*t out of.

Huh? 08-24-2005 01:35 PM

http://www.truckperformance.com/grap...a_ford_500.jpg

yeah, he says that the only thing that he has to change is the mass air flow (???) unit.
It's called a "Mass Airflow Sensor". That's basically what it looks like and you can find it on your intake. You can get an aftermarket one from Venom for around $300-350. Not sure if an OEM one would be cheaper or not.

fullgrown 08-24-2005 02:36 PM

he said that the oem one would only cost around $170 and then the car would run fine. so imma wait until he fixes that and imma test drive the hell out of it.

Huh? 08-24-2005 02:38 PM

he said that the oem one would only cost around $170 and then the car would run fine. so imma wait until he fixes that and imma test drive the hell out of it.

Yeah, good call. :tup:

white2K2EX 08-24-2005 02:44 PM

Sure, why not?

They're fun little cars to drive no matter what, and if you ever wanted to, you could make that thing into a little auto-x contender.

fullgrown 08-24-2005 02:58 PM

i got a question for the miata people...do you need the mass airflow sensor? can't you just take that off and just hook up a intake? or there's not intake for miatas?

Huh? 08-24-2005 03:07 PM

The mass airflow sensor is used in a lot of fuel injected cars. It measures the amount of air entering the engine so the computer can control the air/fuel mixture. You can't run the Miata w/o it unless you want to stare at a CEL light for the rest of your life.

fullgrown 08-24-2005 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Huh?
The mass airflow sensor is used in a lot of fuel injected cars. It measures the amount of air entering the engine so the computer can control the air/fuel mixture. You can't run the Miata w/o it unless you want to stare at a CEL light for the rest of your life.

i wouldn't mind the CEL light being on all the time. but would it mess up the engine???

Huh? 08-24-2005 04:24 PM

Without the MAF sensor it might be hard to start the car or the car will stall while running, which could explain this:

before he changed all those, he once came over to my house, and when he left, after couple blocks, the car died
Also it might hesitate under load, surge, or idle/run rough because your ECU doesn't know how much fuel to inject. You really need the MAF sensor if you want to have good emissions and power.

FuzzBeC00L 08-24-2005 04:47 PM

Get it bro u will have fun with it

fullgrown 08-24-2005 04:57 PM

yeah, but now i'm debating, with the $1500, should i get rims and other things for my civic or just get the miata?

Huh? 08-24-2005 05:07 PM

yeah, but now i'm debating, with the $1500, should i get rims and other things for my civic or just get the miata?

Put it towards your Civic. Do you really want to pay insurance on two cars? Especially when one of them isn't running properly atm.