Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   modding car even you dont own it yet? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/221981-modding-car-even-you-dont-own-yet.html)

D17thgen 07-30-2005 07:14 PM

modding car even you dont own it yet?

hey, my parents recently bought me a new in 2004, and i was planning to mod it. my parents eventually got onto it and told me i cant mod the car since its under the bank? and we still owe payments for it?

anyone know much about this? i know its very specific, but i really want to mod my car with some basic parts. what would happen if i already have an intake, exhuast catback, header and dropped? would the bank take the car away from me if they figured out? what could/would happen?

Hayz 07-30-2005 07:29 PM

why would a bank take it back as long as they get there money I don't think they'll give a sh!t....

White05EXSE 07-30-2005 07:33 PM

sounds like your parents are trying to stop you from modding if you ask me.

Overboost 07-30-2005 07:36 PM

The bank won't take the car but putting parts on the vehicle can void out the warrenty which is what your parent are more interested in. I dropped mine and it instantly voided out my extended warrenty when my clutch went out. You can put an intake and exhaust on it but if a part breaks and it is due to the aftermarket part then it won't be under warrenty. You can switch it out and none the wiser.

White05EXSE 07-30-2005 07:45 PM

.....your clutch went out due to your drop?????? i'd go into the honda dealer on a busy friday afternoon and start yelling and making a scene. They'd rethink that real quick, especially when all their potential car buyers and service customers are staring at you yelling "dont buy a car here, they won't honor the warranty"

gearbox 07-30-2005 07:55 PM

hondacare extended warranty will always get voided. Now the first 3 years is different, but they could void it due to mods. Best bet is don't do anything crazy until it expires. Small things that don't affect the cars driving or electrical systems should be okay. Like, tint, cosmetic features, etc.

D17thgen 07-31-2005 02:21 AM

im thinking there trying to prevent me from modding so i can keep warranty intact.
but anything does happen, im taking responsibility and repairing it myself (IE: shot struts due to springs). but if its something serious internal engine damage, im putting the factory pieces back lol.

they mentioned something about a lease... no idea what that is?

MajinB 07-31-2005 02:27 AM

if its leased and you mod it your fvcked. leasing is you not owning the car but you renting it. big difference. rent means bring back in same condition or you get charged out the butt. if its leased don't mod it. you will regret it.

jackburton 07-31-2005 02:32 AM

It is funny, i was just about to ask this question. I own my car, but just wondered about leasing cars. I know if the car is titles to you, but you have a loan on it, you chould be able to do what ever you want. Was never sure how a lease owrks, how does title work??
What happens if you, say, turbo a leased car?

MajinB 07-31-2005 02:39 AM

if you mod the car and try to give it back modded they will make you pay for the rest of the car. no dealer would take back a leased car thats been modded. it lowers the value of the ride for the next person to buy/lease. and if your gonna mod a car why do it to one you don't even own. i mean when you lease you have the option to buy when the lease is over. but leases are restrictive, like how many miles you can drive before they charge you more, and if you keep it clean, and i think you have to let the dealership do all the maintenence. not sure about that one. but buy a car to mod. don't screw yourself over.

chriscivic 07-31-2005 03:45 AM

what if you lease the car and turbo it but then just take off the turbo when it is time to return the car. sure the honda dealer is getting a less reliable car but who would know

MajinB 07-31-2005 12:18 PM

they would read the ecu and make sure everythin was ok. they do a thourough search. its their business to do so. they aren't stupid. they can take an ecu, find out how you have been driving for the past 40 starts of the car and probably more. so if you take it off, you can disconnect the battery and clear the ecu and then the dealership would get a little suspicious. i would if i had the dealership. anyways, have fun modding.

jackburton 07-31-2005 12:29 PM

i never realized leasing a car was like that.

White05EXSE 07-31-2005 06:24 PM

if you buy a new car from them, they're gonna do the trade in and have your car gone so fast because they're focussing on selling you a new car; it'd be easy to get away with.

nookiemonster 07-31-2005 06:30 PM

MajinB that's BS. I've leased several cars and modded them, and turned them in no questions asked. The only thing I had to pay for was the excessive mileage which came out to about 600 bucks.

Now if you go and do some crazy paint and custom interior well that's different.

WhiteCastle 07-31-2005 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by nookiemonster
MajinB that's BS. I've leased several cars and modded them, and turned them in no questions asked. The only thing I had to pay for was the excessive mileage which came out to about 600 bucks.

Now if you go and do some crazy paint and custom interior well that's different.

agreed... Never heard of them going after anyone. Also do you trully believe the ecu in the 7thgen can do that :rofl:

The only car that can record stuff like top speed, g's pulled, oil tempature, brake temprature, tire pressure, tranmission temprature availible in the US is a corvette c5/c6
All this data is cleared each time you restart the car anyways.

Even BMws and audi's only record mechanical failings..they dont monitor how fast you drive or how many G's you pull!

All bullshit..just straight BS

Al Gore FTW 07-31-2005 06:39 PM

yeah, seems like MajinB is full of it most times. :shrug:

MajinB 07-31-2005 09:41 PM

fuel parameters are kept in the ecu. and errors are too. and if you can prove to me that a civic ecu can't hold that stuff then i will apologize. but till then, don't call my thoughts bs. i am not full of shit. i don't appreciatte it.

claudeboi 07-31-2005 10:15 PM

modding a part and voiding the extended warranty NOT pertaining to a specfic malfunctioning act is against the law. isn't it? i could be wrong, but its mentioned in the Magnuson Moss Act. Besides, the extended warranty will only void the part you modded...if im wrong in anyway correct me!

tony_buttons 07-31-2005 10:49 PM

^I've heard of the same law. Still doesn't mean its true or that honda wouldn't put up a fight. Anyway, back to the original post, I'd be willing to bet that more than half of the people on this site don't technically own their car. I know I still have a load of payments to make. Either way, most of the mods are pretty easily reversable.

gnat1000 08-01-2005 09:19 AM

I have my car on a 3 year lease. I've done too much stuff to my car to name right now but I'm planing to buying it when my lease goes out so I'm not worried about that. I talked to my dealer before I did anything to it and they said they didn't care what I did to the car if I was going to buy it when the lease went out. As for modding I know my suspension warrenty went out when I lowered it but thats really all I have lost. I have an exhaust on there but I would like to see honda try to void something out for that. Now I'm sure an intake couldn't hurt much but I'm paying for an extended warrenty so until it goes out i'm not touching my engine and really an intake or header really wont make that much of a difference considering all the hassle you might run into trying to get honda to repair something. I'd go for tint and maybe rims and a kit since that wont void anything.

CLOVERVICRACER 08-04-2005 03:50 AM

well............

......i just discussed this with my dealership and fact is pretty much anything can void your warranty . intakes, exhaust, lowering, rims.....if they want to be dicks and theres a possibilty that the mod could have casued the problem, your warranty is garbage. kinda sucks.

WhiteCastle 08-04-2005 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by CLOVERVICRACER
......i just discussed this with my dealership and fact is pretty much anything can void your warranty . intakes, exhaust, lowering, rims.....if they want to be dicks and theres a possibilty that the mod could have casued the problem, your warranty is garbage. kinda sucks.

if you buy a GM car they dont pull crap on you like this :tup:

MajinB 08-04-2005 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteCastle
if you buy a GM car they dont pull crap on you like this :tup:

thats cause they expect something to go wrong. :giggle:

nookiemonster 08-04-2005 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MajinB
thats cause they expect something to go wrong. :giggle:

Why? Because they're not Japanese? :_please:

gnat1000 08-04-2005 12:38 PM

Hell I have heard of dealerships not wanting to fix an engine problem because the car had rims. It's just the dealership not wanting to do the work. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. If the dealership gives you a problem then just go over their heads. Thats what the chain of command is for.

MajinB 08-04-2005 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Why? Because they're not Japanese? :_please:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...=222423&page=3
this is the "are gms that bad" thread. i agree with some of the things said in it. japanese cars are built with more stirct standards than domestics. so yes, if you look at it like that, i believe its because domestics are not built to the same quality as imports.

SlowStockCivic 08-04-2005 12:44 PM

You guys think Honda dealerships are bad in regards to mods and voiding warrantys?? You guys should try some VW dealerships. THey will try to make you pay for a warranty repair :giggle:

honda860 08-04-2005 01:12 PM

My 2005 is financed. I have all sorts of mods done to it. I bring it to honda for oil changes and they say nice lookin car. the bank doesnt care as long as you hand them the green every month

mndthegap1 08-05-2005 06:55 AM

My car is leased and i just did a headlight and taillight conversion and repainted. it.