Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   I can't get my Oil Filter Off! Urg! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/221821-i-cant-get-my-oil-filter-off-urg.html)

chicohonda02 07-29-2005 11:40 PM

I can't get my Oil Filter Off! Urg!

The service people put it on too tight. those bastards. I can't get it off to to my oil change. I changed oil, but not filter. Nad the filter its starting to dent. WTF! :hithead:

HondaNation 07-29-2005 11:46 PM

stab it with a screw driver and turn it..it will come off no matter what...

K20me 07-29-2005 11:50 PM

Did you use an oil filter wrench, or just by hand?

phuviano 07-29-2005 11:51 PM

buy one of those filter clamps. I not sure what they are called, but they look like a clamp, but its designed to take off oil filters. I always used that on my car, no matter how tight the filter is. I usual don't put my filter that tight, but filter wrench thingy helps out. Makes the job so much easier.

SOHC 07-29-2005 11:56 PM

get a rag. better yet- a rubber rag... the best thing to do is spend $5 on an oil filter wrench. not the adjustable kind. they sell various sizes, plugs right into a regular wrench.

ragingSPAM 07-30-2005 12:44 AM

its less than 3 bucks for a regular filter wrench...well thats how much i got mine...at autozone...its worth it

Echelon04 07-30-2005 03:54 PM

Yeah the screwdriver thing would work for sure.

mkymonkey 07-30-2005 05:10 PM

but if you put the oil in already wouldnt you have to drain it again so that you can take the filter out? especially if you puncture it with a screwdriver.

chicohonda02 07-30-2005 05:59 PM

used all off the suggested above prior to posting this thread. i finnaly got it off using a wrench, that was hella big. I fixed it. thanks everyone

jameStype 07-30-2005 06:07 PM

i used a leather belt to take my filter off for my first oil change because they put the thing on too damn tight. the wrench i had was too small in the garage and the plastic cap wrench would just slip (honda makes a metal oil cap wrench).

since i'm the only person that does oil changes on the car, there is no reason to go cave man on it. i don't trust service people to change my oil. they always jacked something up on my past car on simple oil change services or touched air filter housings and when i told them not to and not clamp the housing back on tight, so my car revs strange with lost power until i parked a block down the road to clamp the air filter housing down right. all the trouble of babysitting someone else to do it....its just easier to change it yourself.

i agree - the filter is a pain if its torqued down by morons.

ps - be careful with the screwdriver (last resort). there have been horror stories of others who have punctured the filter with a screwdriver at a bad angle and end up tearing off the end of the filter like a can opener leaving the threaded portion still on the engine. you can imagine the college words that come out of someones mouth that experiences that mess. :flush: