Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Sellin vic for a 240sx.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/219805-sellin-vic-240sx.html)

modoman 07-14-2005 12:09 PM

Sellin vic for a 240sx....

well... theres a '95 240sx with just over 100k miles on it, for $5k close to me... ive been thinkin of sellin my vic for a cheaper car that i dont have to make payments on. its a nice car, black, black leather, sunroof, 5 spd, all maintenance records... but my question is, how expensive are they to get fixed if anything were to go wrong with it? never had any experience with nissans or know anyone that has, other than my friend's brother's 300tt, which is expensive to have any work done. how about the 240's? anyone know if they cost an arm and a leg to work on, or average?

PlasmaGT 07-14-2005 12:28 PM

The good thing is that they are easy to work on. I've owned a few 240's. One is actually in Ebay right now - Link
The s14's aren't much different from the s13's. The engine was actually the same from 91-98. Personally I prefer the s13, but if I were to get a later year, I would go for a 97 or 98. That would be simply because the car would be newer and because of the front end.

modoman 07-14-2005 12:46 PM

nice... so plenty of room for hands to get in?
theres only a few makes of cars that i would buy that have that many miles on em, as i dont trust mazdas or mitsubishis, and anything domestic. nissan, toyota, and honda are on the tops of my list, but all the crx's and civic hatches are riced out and beaten to a pulp around here... mr2 is still a possibility but kinda hard to find a good one around here for a decent price.
its the only 240 sx thats not an auto in good shape for a really good price, which is why i like :) i need to be able to sell the vic for enough to pay off the loan and put most if not all the money down on a different car. is there any tell-tale signs i should look out for on the car, besides the basic stuff (leaks, rust, saggy susp., odd noises, etc etc)? as in, anything that is particular to 240's

civic2k2 07-14-2005 01:00 PM

If it breaks just drop a RB26 in her :sweet:

PlasmaGT 07-14-2005 01:04 PM

Yeah, what I like most is the room to work. This is mainly because the engine sits longitudinally.
The main thing to look for is rust. Likely spots are on the strut towers and on the frame rails towards the front. And on s13's under the spoiler. Also check the tension control rod bushings. When they break down they leak black gooey stuff out.

TeRRoRiFiC35 07-14-2005 01:05 PM

go sr20 black top with s13 conversion... try to get the person to go down a little more on the price, and sell the seats, lots of people are looking for em and will overpay for em.

PlasmaGT 07-14-2005 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
go sr20 black top with s13 conversion... try to get the person to go down a little more on the price, and sell the seats, lots of people are looking for em and will overpay for em.

True, a lot of s13 owners swap their seats out for s14 seats. But they don't go for too much. Usually around $200

modoman 07-14-2005 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by PlasmaGT
Yeah, what I like most is the room to work. This is mainly because the engine sits longitudinally.
The main thing to look for is rust. Likely spots are on the strut towers and on the frame rails towards the front. And on s13's under the spoiler. Also check the tension control rod bushings. When they break down they leak black gooey stuff out.

cool thanks for the good info, much appreciative... thanks to everyone for the input

SLO REX 07-14-2005 01:23 PM

Man I bet you wished you lived down by me...There is a 94 240sx for sale $1,500. I was thinking about buying it for my 2nd car and dropping a sr20 black top in it. Body is in good condition. I am not sure if it is running, but it doesn't need to be.

modoman 07-14-2005 01:31 PM

yea actually that i think about it now, theres a white 92 down the road from where i work, for 3k... dunno how many miles, but its a straight body and it has rims. maybe ill stop and take a look. i love all the body style of the 240, but i think the later gen is my favorite but hard to call. we'll see what happens.. id have to get some stock headlights and front bumper for my vic and then be able to sell it for at least 10K with 57k miles on it, so we'll see..

information 07-14-2005 01:40 PM

u been watching too much initial D or those damn jap drifting Option videos to trade a 7thgen for a old ass 240 that will have problems within a year .

modoman 07-14-2005 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by information
u been watching too much initial D or those damn jap drifting Option videos to trade a 7thgen for a old ass 240 that will have problems within a year .

uh... no. and i expect maintenance or repairs on any used car with 75k+ miles on it. and the reason for me to get rid of the vic, if i didnt state it before, is to not have a $300 car payment every month. the money i save from a car payment, i will be able to put into fixing a car that i own and do not owe $ for. the ride im lookin at, again, has 106k miles on it and full maintenance records with all scheduled maintenance done at the dealer.

Al Gore FTW 07-14-2005 01:57 PM

my friend bought a wrecked 95 240 s14 style for 2 grand, fixed the body, then the tranny went out, he went to northwestnissans.com, found someone giving away a free tranny, went and got it, put it in, no problems so far, besides his timing chain making noise every once in a while. but that just means its time to swap. but this kid didnt even know wtf a torque wrench was, but still put his car together by himself. so it cant be that hard.

Al Gore FTW 07-14-2005 02:00 PM

and even with the stock motor (ka24de), they are not that bad, my friends is an auto, and my car is a manual, i beat him at the track twice, but if he had a manual he would have taken me. they have enough torque, so it feels faster around town. just get the car, drive it, when shit starts going wrong (timing chain, head gasket, whatever), then just swap.

TeRRoRiFiC35 07-14-2005 02:26 PM

2 grand for a wrecked 240? too much money

Drk01Civic 07-14-2005 02:47 PM

I say go for it. I would have bought an older car (MR2, 240) if I didn't need a reliable commuter car for a 2 hour per day commute to work. Now I work 20 minutes from my house, take a vanpool to work, make more money, and my car is paid off. I keep thinking about making my car stock again and buying a project car but my civic has some power now and it's been reliable even with the mods so I won't do that yet, I guess.

Not being in debt is the best feeling. Having a reliable car feels pretty good too, though. But without car payments a built KA24 or SR20 is probably a more realistic prospect.