Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   My 2001 Civic LX problem.. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/217800-my-2001-civic-lx-problem.html)

401CivicLX 06-26-2005 12:04 AM

My 2001 Civic LX problem..

:) hey guys, i'm kinda new to this forum, but here is my question.
I have a 4dr 2001 civic lx (bought it used). my problem is this, everytime i drive and go at a speed of 30mph(approx. 28mph and up) i hear this noise... and it's not a noise u can really hear from inside the car... you have to be driving near a fence or other cars to hear the sound echo off. It sounds like something loose (maybe metal bumping against metal) but the thing is, it sounds like something that is powered by electricity... i mean.. it's not just random clanking noise or whatever... it actually has a rhythm. OMG.. it's driving me crazy.. if anyone knows what this problem can be... please let me know. my last resort will be to the shop :(
Thanks

edit: the noise (to me) sounds like a broken fan... but i'm just assuming a broken fan would sound like this....

If i didn't post in the right section, where would this topic go? I read the forums and this seemed like the best place to post.

diskreet 06-26-2005 12:07 AM

describe in more detail. i have the same car so maybe i can help. i get a weird squeal, pretty quiet, when only pushing throttle about 30-40%. thats all i get i think. tell me what you are hearing and ill try to help you more

edit: actually can that be the air making that sound somewhere in the intake portion of the car? like at the throttle body?

401CivicLX 06-26-2005 12:14 AM

OMG... dude.. i know exactly what ur talkin about with that 30-40% throttle..i hear a squel too. but u can't really tell unless you're the one actually pressing the gas.
But my problem is that when i go like 28mph and up, i hear this sound that sounds like something is rotating... like a broken fan. That's the best way i can describe it.... man.... i wish i could record the sound... To Me it sounds like something that is broken that is rotating. Is there anything that can break that would make a sounds like that?

EDIT: shit... alright, now that u mention the intake.. i took out the filter and put in a new air filter. You know how there are 6 screws u have to take off to get to the air filter? Well i tightened one of the screws too hard and the plastic on where the screw goes in broke.... could that be a reason..? I'm kind of a newb with cars. so i don't know what kind of things makes what kind of noise..

diskreet 06-26-2005 12:18 AM

hmm i dunno. i dont have that sound. only the squeal. glad im not the only one there though. so i guess its normal.

as for your problem does it sound like a fan rotating, or maybe a belt or something. i dunno. i am not huge in knowledge of under the hood, yet. im working on it though.

When (and after) i install my intake on monday after work ill poke around and see if there is anything making the same noise you describe. maybe even tomorrow. ill see if i have the same problem.

edit: if anything like that happened and made noise, it would be a rattling noise. like pastic on plastic. maybe at certian speeds it vibrates enough to rattle. is that it?

l3lackstatic 06-26-2005 12:38 AM

my car made a sound like that and i thought it was my intake filter, but after i took off my wheels and checked my brake pads, i found that my pads were down, so i just replaced em. check your brake pads

401CivicLX 06-26-2005 01:03 AM

what do u mean your brakes were down? do you mean worn out? I just got my brake pads replaced... so i don't think it could be the brake pads. Damn, i did some research on the noise.. but everyone is complaining about how it makes a noise when they drive in the rain... for ME, it makes a noise all the time. -sigh- wtf is it...
EDIT: yea it might be something vibrating against each other... shit, i'm so confused.. it can be anything. As a side note, the person before me must've had a flattire in the front (right side) because the hub cab is broken and the right front tire is the only new one. I heard changing the ONLY one tire in the front is bad for the car... is that true? because I still have it like that since i've bought it. maybe i should replace all 4 tires...

AzNTiG3R 06-26-2005 02:12 AM

I have a 2dr LX and yeah I hear a slight squeal only when I push the gas lightly and when i take my foot off it goes away.

zen_master 06-26-2005 02:17 AM

hmm...no, i doubt that's from your intake..

and fyi....sh1t........grrrr....not suppose to tighen the damn bolts on the intake cover with tourqe wrench........sh1t...stupid me..

i broke 2 out of 6..........one of em kind of bad....doesn't tighen up no more....lol

dalaw 06-26-2005 05:18 AM

Yeah i get that squeal or hissing sound from the engine too. Mainly at around 2-3k rpm at part throttle. I like that sound. Sounds kinda like a turbo :shrug:

diskreet 06-26-2005 09:39 AM

lol i wonder what it is?

Overboost 06-26-2005 11:28 AM

Have an 02 lx coupe manual here and i hear a vrrrrr sound when i drive it for a while and if i go by a wall like a drive thru and put it in neutral I hear it. It's when my clutch is depressed only.

401CivicLX 06-26-2005 11:42 PM

i drive an automatic.. if i might add. Still don't have an answer to this damn sound. maybe it's the exhaust, maybe it's kinda loose or something... sh1t i dunno

MajinB 06-26-2005 11:58 PM

ok i know what it is. it is a sound like a whirring that increases when you accelerate right? if so then every civic does this. its like a whiiny noise. like a turbo swirl. its totally normal. if you can hear it when your driving quietly and when you accelerate then its nothing. i drive a 5sp. when i go down a hill i shift to second and roll. i hear the same noise. its a high pitched swirl. no biggie. if its not that say so. if it is its just your engine. nothin at all

401CivicLX 06-27-2005 12:15 AM

Nah, man. I know what everyone is talking about with the low throttle acceleration makin the little pitch sound from the engine.. that got on my nerves too. But what i'm pissed about is this Broken Fan/Clunking/something rotating sound that i hear when i hit 28mph and up. and like i said, you have to be near a wall or something to hear it (with the right side window open). But obviously I'm the only one having this f-ing problem. sh1t.. so confused..........

Damngoods 06-27-2005 12:58 AM

maybe it's your cat-converter cover that's broken so the sound is coming from the vibration of the metal and the cat. It happened to me so i took the cover off the cat and now no prob. Hope this helps!

MajinB 06-27-2005 12:59 AM

ok well if its not that then i have another idea. i had an annoying dragging sound and hitting sound when i braked and i looked around the car and saw that the bumper has a rubber gaurd around the front and it was dragging. look around your car. i am sure you already have. look under the car. jack it up, do everything. and if not then take it to the dealer and let them firgure it out. please tell me you got the 100k extended warranty. good luck.

AzNTiG3R 06-27-2005 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by zen_master
hmm...no, i doubt that's from your intake..

and fyi....sh1t........grrrr....not suppose to tighen the damn bolts on the intake cover with tourqe wrench........sh1t...stupid me..

i broke 2 out of 6..........one of em kind of bad....doesn't tighen up no more....lol

LOL yeah like 2 of my bolts will turn but won't come off and i had to slide the filter out of the box!

CenZ 06-27-2005 01:39 AM

ok, you said a hub cap is broken right? well dont you think MAYBE there is air getting cought in the broken part of the hubcap and it is making a funny sound when you drive? here is a easy test. take the hubcap off and drive. if it still happens its not your hubcap. hubcap rotates like a fan, so if a broken fan makes this sound a broken hubcap should too...

401CivicLX 06-27-2005 11:25 AM

ROFL silver02 damn, i didn't even think about that... but i doubt it is.. but imma put some tape on it and test it out...

401CivicLX 06-27-2005 11:50 PM

BTW.... what is a cat-converter?!?

diskreet 06-28-2005 07:45 AM

a catalytic converter is what makes your emissions so clean, and makes us an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. its output is water and the exhaust gas you see come out of the car (clean exhaust). It has a catalyst in it which makes the change take place (very very quickly). sometimes you see water when you start but thats usually condensation not from the cat.

Well i installed my intake yesterday. I dont hear the sound you are talking aobut at all. now i just hear the intake, its so loud :( everything went OK but the AEM SRI isnt exactly a perfect fit! I was not impressed by quality here. Had to fight with the pipe to get it in place!
anyway i dropped a washer somewhere over the trasnmission so I hope that it doesnt break anything lol!