Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Im So Confused! Please Help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/211840-im-so-confused-please-help.html)

Pagz69 05-11-2005 02:08 PM

Im So Confused! Please Help

Ok I know your probably going to say check the suspension forum and I have but im so confused.

I want to lower my car and imporve handling but i have no idea what to do all this stuff confuses me cambers, spring coilovers.

I just need a good straight answer and some suggestions

1.I want a good drop not too low cause it will have to be winter driveable Im riding stock 15" rims with no lip or bodykit for now.
2. I dont want anythign to slowly ruin my cars shocks or anything else
3. I want something good qulity but not the best I dont want to spend like a grand.
4. I want a good improvement in handling
5. Want the ability to adjust height in the winter and summer.

any suggestions please with exactly what i will need I heard you need to change cambers or something, just give me the whole lowdown of exactly what i should get cause im stupid when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks a ton!!

SOHC 05-11-2005 02:21 PM

you wont be able to drop your car without slowly ruining your shocks for under a grand.

well i guess if you installed everything yousrelf- maybe.

what most people do is

A) get some lowering srpings (my goldlines offer a 1.7" drop front and back, i rarely bottom out- maybe once every 4 months)..this will cost you about $140.

with a drop lower than 1.5" u need a camber kit. this will run you about $90 i think.
you need to have it installed. this will be about $250 or so.

after some amount of time.. may be months may be years (your luck and how carefl you are over potholes plays an impt part), your oem shocks will leak enough to the point where they will be shot. you will have to replace them with koni inserts, which is a big install process that u will not be able to do youself. the struts / shocks cost like $400ish (not sure). install may cost you $400, i do believe its a pain in the ass. im not sure if theres an alternative o koni yellow inserts, i havent been up on the suspension scene lately. if you go the springs/insert route, you will not be able to adjust your ride height.

OR

B) get coil overs. ive heard of reliability issues with these, and how the ride is pretty harsh. these will cost you like $700-$1200. then u have to have them installed which i guess is an easy install. you can adjust the ride height with these. but if it snows in your area, the salt may screw them up and cause them to be stuck (non adjustable). some advanced systems like TIEN SS are very adjustable.

lowering your car will give you better handeling, and better looks for sure. but it can be a nightmare if you need to go up a lot of steep driveways, or have to deal with tall speedbumps. its also a pain to deal with the side effects of a bad install. my steering is still not allingned right (even after multiple allignments), my steering wheel still wobbles like crazy over 65 mph.

djmota 05-11-2005 02:24 PM

eibach pro kit (springs) looks like the best answer for 1-4 but you will not get good quality adjustability for less than 1000

Pagz69 05-11-2005 02:27 PM

Ok what if I was to just go for the best thing for street setup lets assume price is not a concern what is the best complete suspension kit that will be the most reliable and wont ruin anything. it has to be adjustable too. maybe i could just save up for this.

thanks

MisterFrankieJ 05-11-2005 02:32 PM

tein basic or omni if they ever come out.

Pagz69 05-11-2005 02:46 PM

Thanks guys I dont know what to do though but this gives me some good ideas
I think I'll just leave the supsnsion stock for now and just focus on other things like sound system, exhaust and engine, I'll worry bout the suspension stuff later i wanna throw some 17's on and lip kit kit anyway that will improve the look a bit the reason i wanted to get it lowered this summer cause it just looks to stock right now. I think I'll just to the exhaust, intake and sound system this summer and worry bout the supsension next summer, i could spend 2000 grand on a killer supsension setup or 2000 on rims and tires i would rather have rims.
anyway, thanks guyz

Teh_Sare 05-11-2005 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pagz69
Thanks guys I dont know what to do though but this gives me some good ideas
I think I'll just leave the supsnsion stock for now and just focus on other things like sound system, exhaust and engine, I'll worry bout the suspension stuff later i wanna throw some 17's on and lip kit kit anyway that will improve the look a bit the reason i wanted to get it lowered this summer cause it just looks to stock right now. I think I'll just to the exhaust, intake and sound system this summer and worry bout the supsension next summer, i could spend 2000 grand on a killer supsension setup or 2000 on rims and tires i would rather have rims.
anyway, thanks guyz

i would personally rather be lowered and sportin steelies than have rims and have stock height.

dirtySAMURAI 05-11-2005 05:57 PM

drop > exhaust. with a drop you'll at least have better handling, rather than a ricer-loud civic.

Pagz69 05-12-2005 09:05 AM

Well I've decided to go with coilovers and a rear camber kit this summer, that way I can adjust in the winter. can anyone recommend some good brands with good prices?

Pharoh 05-12-2005 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pagz69
Well I've decided to go with coilovers and a rear camber kit this summer, that way I can adjust in the winter. can anyone recommend some good brands with good prices?

I see you're from Markham, Onatario so I'm gonna assume you're driving this car in the snow....if that's the case...try and get some KW coilovers (the V2's). They WILL NOT RUST whereas all the others will. You pay a little more but seriously, it's a good investment and they'll last a helluva long time. Not to mention they're distributed out of B.C so you don't have to pay and retarded duty or anything to get 'em here.