Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   What to expect? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/208451-what-expect.html)

SilverCivSedan 04-19-2005 05:47 PM

What to expect?

The person who painted the flames and applied the flaked out clearcoat on my car did a horrible job. The paint is peeling all over, the original silver is burned through to the primer in some places, and the rest of the car feels like orange peel even though he "supposedly" buffed it. He bent my back bumper, now it sticks out a little under the driver's side tail light, and sanded half of one of my headlights (but Hojo35 is installing me some projectors this weekend thank goodness).

I've been to some body shops and they tell me that to strip the bad stuff (and what's left of the good stuff) off the outside of the car, inside the doors (cause the idiot didn't mask very well) and inside the gas tank (cause the idiot didn't know how to paint a car and I was a fool to trust him); and then return the car to factory silver, and install my body kit while they're at it will cost me about $7700 dollars! And about two months to paint on top of that!

All I need is the outside of the car, the door jambs, and the inside of the gas door stripped, reprimered, and repainted factory nice and pretty. And the body kit installed along with it. Is $7700 even close to reasonable? It's just factory Satin Silver for goodness sakes! I don't want the car candy painted or layered with pure gold!

Hurts2bStock 04-19-2005 05:54 PM

my shop carges me 65 per hour for labour...lets say the re-paint job is $1700 $6000 is the cost of over 92 hours of labour to remove....sounds like they are trying to punt you cause they dont want the job

Who painted the car the first time? somone with enought money to sue I hope :_beer:

Al Gore FTW 04-19-2005 06:15 PM

7700 sounds rediclous to me :shrug:

ACURAwerx 04-19-2005 06:15 PM

isn't it only like 2,000-3,000 for a good new paint job in regular colors? plus installing the body kit will be like 300 bux depending on fitment.. and the front and rear bumps can just be painted instead of the stock ones.. so u won't have to pay extra.. id say 4,000 max for everything

Hurts2bStock 04-19-2005 06:35 PM

can I ask what is happening with the ass that did the first job?........my buddy payed $3500 for pearl white and the guy repainted it 3 times because he wanted it to look perfect........I know your never gonna let him repaint your car but the very least he should have to sand it and do the labour involved to paint it again

SilverCivSedan 04-19-2005 11:15 PM

The guy that painted it, or easier to say is effed it up skipped town. I kept calling his cell phone but he had it shut off and got away with $310, my 18 inch chrome rims, and a brand new set of blue underbody neon lights. Last thing he did was leave a voicemail on my cell phone to tell me that he wasn't responsible for how my car turned out and that the cost of supplies was more than what he jacked from me. And he was broke as a joke to begin with, so even if I could find him, it would be easier to call my younger brother's fraternity brothers and have them all beat the life out of the guy. Then I could possibly sell his organs on the black market to pay for my new paint.

Some other estimates I got were: $3600 but they won't put the body kit on. And two weeks to paint. Lifetime warranty on the paintwork (the shop has been in business for 45 years and fixes jaguars and stuff)

$5400-$6000 to paint and put the body kit on, as long as I don't want it molded on. And one month to paint. No warranty on the paintwork (they said if it peeled then I could just bring it back. . .but wouldn't that be a warranty?)

There is a shop in Louisville Kentucky called Taylor's House of Paint that is famous. I might get an estimate from there, since they'll do the best job. . .but the price would probably be ungodly. I want the car done right. It is a car that I enter in shows (even if I can't right now).